Old road map wanted

when you get somewhere and you are late coz you get held up on the motorway in traffic
sometimes get told you should allways use the back road
So was wondering if someone had a link to a pre 1960 GB road map before the motor ways where ever build

Coz come one hot sunny bank holiday Friday when the motor ways are ■■■■■■
I might just follow that map
or any given Friday to be honest

Boss & Driver:
when you get somewhere and you are late coz you get held up on the motorway in traffic
sometimes get told you should allways use the back road
So was wondering if someone had a link to a pre 1960 GB road map before the motor ways where ever build

Coz come one hot sunny bank holiday Friday when the motor ways are [zb]
I might just follow that map
or any given Friday to be honest

Any map old or new map will give you the “back roads” there the ones not coloured in blue.
New maps would be better as old roads have changed and may now have restrictions regards to height length and weight

As has been said, any half decent road atlas will show old roads as well as newish roads, you don’t need an old map to see old roads.

:bulb: This might not be the brightest of ideas because the non-Mway road network had changed so much since then, so you’d probably only succeed in defeating your own object by using such an old map. :open_mouth:

I think your best plan would be to use the most modern map (or sat-nav) available and simply avoid the ZB’ed Mways by using roads/routes that actually exist.

99.9% of drivers probably do the above, but I guess we have to actually advise the other 0.1% in order to save them from themselves.

I think you’re a genius B&D. In fact I’ve been searching through all those old wicker baskets in my attic for old maps, once I discarded the Ronco hair strimmer and got past the Bullworker I found one. Looks good but I’m a tad worried about south of Nottingham where it merely states “here there be serpents”.

Only Bodged and Damaged could think of something so stupid…
Maybe you should get a British Railways timetable so you can tell what time the local tank engine and a couple of near empty carriages used to puff over the level crossing on one of your old roads?
Or maybe an old trade directory so you can find the sites of all the long gone transport cafes?
Has anyone got an Atari 2600 console he can buy to while away the hours?

Is Boss & Driver the Joey Essex of Trucknet?

Hiya WHAT a sod…i’ve just thrown and old map away (i’am having a clear out) i bought it in 1972
as it had farms and post offices on. i think it was 3 miles to the inch.(i was doing farm deliveries
at the time)this IICR Collins book did,nt even have Milton Keynes new town
on it(not a bad thing). no M62 54 or 56. must have been saving on the ink, i think i have one
page photo as i was going to start a site about Sat Navs a while back.i’ll go and look
John

I was out doing a job at Stirling University,I recently found an old Ordnance Survey Map of Stirling so I let them see it.It cost me 8 shillings back in the day(40pence).It does not show the Uni,but it has railways all over the place.

dead easy.

-sat nav options
-avoid motorways

jobs a gooden, why you would want to do this is beyond me…

Just make sure that you don’t try driving on ‘blue roads’ on pre 1960 maps because they are rivers… :slight_smile:

Pete.

My father has a A to Z of London that’s got the 3 shilling price on the cover (3s) and it’s in good nick too you wanna buy it??

dieseldave:
99.9% of drivers probably do the above, but I guess we have to actually advise the other 0.1% in order to save them from themselves.

99.9% of drivers I have met would just sit on the motor way all the time and not even contemplate an alternative route

Just a plain piture I want rely of how to get about
Looking at an atlas behind the wheel ant that easy with all those other road on it

Thetaff2:
My father has a A to Z of London that’s got the 3 shilling price on the cover (3s) and it’s in good nick too you wanna buy it??

offer him a florin for it

maga:
dead easy.

-sat nav options
-avoid motorways

jobs a gooden, why you would want to do this is beyond me…

OK
Sat nav now to to avoid motorways
proboly no good as its a computer i.e the sat nav
but I will see tommorow as its friday and post back

OK so hear goes todays little incredable adventures of B&G

Started off at thingy services (first on the M40 off the M25) this morning
going to highwycome so sat nav set not to use motorways
not rely bothered this time of day as not a lot of traffic on roads on a Friday morning
So decided to take the most direct route M40 whilest having a gander at dear old sat nav
And off she went in all kind of funny different road rely for only a 5/ 10 mile trip
Looked at my road atlas and the best cource of action would of been the A40 in this situation :confused:

Any road, Cut a long story short
During rush hour was at Burton upon trent and going to liverpool so did the A511 and the old my favorate A50
But Mr. know it all driver from our firm said take the top side road of Stoke not the bottom side as it much better
Most probaly would of been if I could of found it
Even though the A50 runs right from warrington to where I was you lost it at stoke
Ended up going on the A500 only to pick I think the A34/43/38 can not remember right now
But looked on my dear old laptop and tomtoms live traffic said the M6 north where ■■■■■■
So decided to follow the A50, only to loose it then pick it up again

So went on ploddering along at 40m/h up the old A50
There was a hearl of traffic parked up coming towards me and the other side of the road was ■■■■■■
Hay up looks like the M6 south bound is closed
again
Thank god I was going North not South as I would of been ■■■■■■ again

So the moral of this little adventure is
Is it rely worth taking the back roads anyway when the motorways are ■■■■■■ coz everyone ells with local knolage will use them anyroad and will know there way around with out getting lost!

This was supposed to be a relaxing friday afternoon in the countryside like michael payness of willy fog or what that ruddy tory X mp called, michael portillow supping wine and talking about clocks
Instead it has turned into a ruddy nighmare

Boss & Driver:

dieseldave:

99.9% of drivers I have met would just sit on the motor way all the time and not even contemplate an alternative route

You know what that is don’t you? Because its normally the quickest option. So many times Ive tried to avoid a jam by going down back roads and uts turned out to take longer I now dont bother and just sit in the traffic. Great idea though :wink:

I’ve got an old copy of the 3 Billy Goats Gruff, if you want to find out what trolling was like before the internet.

You guys still bite? :smiley: