Old post about costs to Italy

There used to be a great thread here about the costs of running down to Milan, I think it was called ‘West Midlands to Milan’. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

the reason - I’ve been asked to quote for a trip to Athens, so if anyone also has some ballpark prices for ferries - Ancona - Petra I would appreciate And of course any other costs I should be aware of when running down there. Are there any road charges in Greece?

Thanks

Paul

If we were asked to do London- Athens, one collection and one delivery, we would quote £3500, we pay the ferries. We are not cheap though. Cheapskates would quote £3000.

If we were hard up for work, a forwarder would pay us around £2700, with £50 extra for each collection/delivery.

The Greek ferries are around £900 return, including port taxes.

If you can get a reload, either from Greece or Ancona area, this will pay around £1750- £1800.

There are some piddling peages in Greece, but it’s only around 20 euros both ways.

Be very careful in wet weather, the roads contain a high proportion of marble, and are virtually traction-free in the wet.

Anything else?

Vince

Vince,

That’s a great help. Than you very much,

Regards

Paul

No worries Paul,

Incidentally, if you go via the cheapest route (Austria/ Switzerland) then you can expect your round-trip costs to be £2300-£2400, depending on your weight etc.

So, on your trip out (at £3500) you would make around £1100-£1200, plus the value of the backload.The round trip would take around a fortnight.

Intersped and Tempo Freight are two forwarders generally used on the Greece run and considered to be reliable- usual disclaimer applies.

Vince

Further to what Vince has said, Weekend ferries from Ancona are more expensive than weekdays Anek on a saturday from Ancona is 800+ euro’s this will depend on who you use to book likewise its cheaper from Patras/ Ancona
than Ancona/Patras port tax is cheaper in ancona depends on weight, port tax from Patras is approx 42euros empty if you are loaded out of Greece you also cop for Italian port tax as well (paid on the boat) price is same for Patras or Igoumanitsa (empty obviously you dont pay Italian port dues). You could also look at Venice or Trieste not much in it price wise, but you save on fuel and peage. Haz cargo from Ancona is a nono, so you got Brindisi, not to sure if you can go via Bari with haz cargo, cheap crossing from Brindisi think M.way charged me around £270 in about may of this year, tho the ferries leave a lot to be desired.
As Vince said peage’s up to Athens are cheap first is 3.5e second is 2.9e. If you got to use the new motorway round Athens think its now 10euros, was 8e but put it up after the games had finished, so ive been told, i aint used it for a few months, you will pay 10e if you go all the way round or if you get on at 1 and go off at the next, but belive me sometimes its worth paying that just to save time in the traffic crossing through or into Athens.
As has been said best way at mo down to Ancona is via Austria, Swiss is a pain.
Keepin cost’s down fill up with enough diesel in lux to get you to Ancona/Greece fill up all your tanks on the way out diesel in Greece is cheaper than lux, tho it don’t have the same freeze point as diesel you buy here or Lux etc.
£3500, you will be doing very very well if you can get that, work to Greece at the mo is very quiet.
Hope thats been of some help, sorry its a bit late, but ive only just got home, as an aside the weather was pants down there last week, last sat/sun morn on the Anek it was storm force 11, belive me it aint pleasent as the boats on the adriatic dont like it, trashed all the bars shops the lot, my truck was on what they call the camper deck or open deck, tho there are decks above, waves were coming in one side and out the other didnt have a camera with me but the daf got a nice bath, bit salty the next day tho.
sdj

Is driving through the Balkans not an option??

AlexxInNY:
Is driving through the Balkans not an option??

That was the only sensible route to save money Alex, but now there are so many extra costs been added in at borders, peage tolls and permits required, There is also a limit on fuel carried and the drive from Evzoni to Athens is an extra day and a bit.

It was the preffered route for owner drivers