Old northamptonshire companys

Great pic classicman , i’d forgotten about that one - looks like it was took at Reydels Round spinney site , i’m sure Binnsy also had a white & blue second hand 142 subbin for Roadferry

partrick,s

barney.jpg

truckerash:
For TBL - hope you enjoy these Simon.
As a teenager I used to visit the yard most Saturday’s…

went to Portugal in WBD 969S

went to Spain in the Globetrotter with Norman Gell. Terry ■■ WAS DRIVING THE 112. Could that have been Terry Bush?, worked at Rigid Containers for a few years then onto Partricks.

Simon - have you any idea who owned this Mack? Often saw it in the yard.

img 001015.jpg

mickthebrush:
Hi Guys,Bear with me as I am a beginer on trucknet.I have been looking and reading the forums.I do not know much about the trucking scne in norhants but I may have something of interest for you chaps.
In the 70s I worked for a company,Roy Bowles Transport,Hayes Middx.They were and still are involved in airfreight.The original company was sold to the Lex group,owners of wilkinson transport.I moved over with them.I was driving Ford transits in those days a job came in the company for a class 3 driver and I was asked if I would like to upgrade,I jumped at the chance.At the time Wilkinson had there own driving school based at the Higham Ferres depot(formally Townsend carriers)Myself and a couple of other chaps came up from London to do the 2 week course at H.F.We stayed in a hotel in the town and commenced our training.The school had a Ford D series 4 wheeler and a Scania 80 artic.Had a great 2 weeks and passed…I remember the instuctors there were 2 one I cannot remember his name but the other I cannot forget.His name was Sid and he had 2 artificial legs(I kid you not) Does any of this ring any bells with you guys?
Spent all my training in Northampton town and although I was taking the class 3 i did drive the artic.I spent most of my latter years on a frame drawbars never did get a class 1.This trucknet has sure bought back some memores for me.Retired now and living in Spain regards
mickthebrush

Hello Mick, I drove for Wilkinson’s Transport out of Higham for nigh on twenty years. Started there when it was Townsends Carriers. I remember Sid with the false legs, he put me through my Class 1. The other bloke was Leon Parker (RIP). Apparently Sid lost his legs during an accident in a lorry when he was thrown over the steering many moons ago and I would imagine he is long gone now. I remember Roy Bowles transport in their grey and red livery. wasn’t Eric Pritchard one of the gaffers there for a few years? he ended up in charge of the Volvo distribution contract at Crick. The hotel you stayed in was most probably The Carriage House, Wilky’s always used that place for visiting managers and the like. I’ll attempt to post all my photographs taken during my time spent at Wilky’s, Lex Wilkinson and Federal Express. They were a good company to work for, 28 days holiday a year, plus the bank holidays !!, good wages and brilliant union, not to mention the characters that were employed there. We were spoiled when I think back on that company, shame a few more firms don’t look after their drivers the way Wilky’s did…but I’m almost retiring age now, I think we had the best days.

img 001143.jpg

img 001142.jpg

img 001141.jpg

img 001115.jpg

img 001137.jpg

img 001096.jpg

gardnersmoke:
img 001249.jpg

mickthebrush:
Hi Guys,Bear with me as I am a beginer on trucknet.I have been looking and reading the forums.I do not know much about the trucking scne in norhants but I may have something of interest for you chaps.
In the 70s I worked for a company,Roy Bowles Transport,Hayes Middx.They were and still are involved in airfreight.The original company was sold to the Lex group,owners of wilkinson transport.I moved over with them.I was driving Ford transits in those days a job came in the company for a class 3 driver and I was asked if I would like to upgrade,I jumped at the chance.At the time Wilkinson had there own driving school based at the Higham Ferres depot(formally Townsend carriers)Myself and a couple of other chaps came up from London to do the 2 week course at H.F.We stayed in a hotel in the town and commenced our training.The school had a Ford D series 4 wheeler and a Scania 80 artic.Had a great 2 weeks and passed…I remember the instuctors there were 2 one I cannot remember his name but the other I cannot forget.His name was Sid and he had 2 artificial legs(I kid you not) Does any of this ring any bells with you guys?
Spent all my training in Northampton town and although I was taking the class 3 i did drive the artic.I spent most of my latter years on a frame drawbars never did get a class 1.This trucknet has sure bought back some memores for me.Retired now and living in Spain regards
mickthebrush

Hello Mick, I drove for Wilkinson’s Transport out of Higham for nigh on twenty years. Started there when it was Townsends Carriers. I remember Sid with the false legs, he put me through my Class 1. The other bloke was Leon Parker (RIP). Apparently Sid lost his legs during an accident in a lorry when he was thrown over the steering many moons ago and I would imagine he is long gone now. I remember Roy Bowles transport in their grey and red livery. wasn’t Eric Pritchard one of the gaffers there for a few years? he ended up in charge of the Volvo distribution contract at Crick. The hotel you stayed in was most probably The Carriage House, Wilky’s always used that place for visiting managers and the like. I’ll attempt to post all my photographs taken during my time spent at Wilky’s, Lex Wilkinson and Federal Express. They were a good company to work for, 28 days holiday a year, plus the bank holidays !!, good wages and brilliant union, not to mention the characters that were employed there. We were spoiled when I think back on that company, shame a few more firms don’t look after their drivers the way Wilky’s did…but I’m almost retiring age now, I think we had the best days.

img 001878.jpg

img 001010.jpg

diesel dan:
hi classicman.
i only remember new street motors being based at new street in irthlingborough.owned by don jackson(the original diesel dan) atlas express were behind the cresta cafe.do you remember cresta being the main dodge agents,hugh porter moved on and opened a garage in thrapston, cheers ,diesel.

Don’s partner with NSM was Roy Hockey, I remember going to Revo lighting in Birmingham to pick up two second hand Ford D Series tractor units.

STEVE OWEN:

roadcommander2:
You are right Colin, A.B.C Dee were farmers from Desborough, I think.
Were loyal Volvo users.

Cheers
Mark

you are right about the volvos till they got a scania 112 on an E plate the full reg will come to me later,which then ended up on davella transport along with the trailer, then they carried on with just the farm,vince sones used to drive the artic and harry simpson the 8 legger, he worked for royal blue years ago, last i knew vince was working with land rovers and had a regular article in one of the 4x4 mags, harry went onto david pack out of cranford then to fermac but i lost touch since i moved to canada 6 yrs ago, w.a.sales thats tony sales used to pull out of chettles, i remember when i was i kid in the early 70s before tony had his own motors he smashed up one of the scammells that my old man used to drive reg 660 VMA, i last saw him on flour tanks out of finedon mills in wellingborough, i used to use his wrecker at times when i needed it. there are some good books if you can find a copy called on the move and on the move again vol 2 a history of transport in northamptonshire.
does anyone remember winslow transport from finedon? went on to become winslow-abbott then david abbott as i’m sure you will have heard of or worked for.
corby frieght, they had something to do with knights of old, we had a leyland buffalo off them UFP 316X and used to pull flats out of bsc corby, nigel lawman from finedon used to drive it for us then i had it after him, taught me most of what i know ( he worked for winslow years ago) now he is on lawmans buses out of kettering. theres a little bit of history to some of the names,. steve

Hello Steve, I remember Winslow’s when they ran out of Finedon, rear of a garage there. They ran a few motley Albion six wheeled flats with LAD cabs. Did a lot of work out of Whitworth’s in Irthlingborough.

gardnersmoke:

STEVE OWEN:

roadcommander2:
You are right Colin, A.B.C Dee were farmers from Desborough, I think.
Were loyal Volvo users.

Cheers
Mark

you are right about the volvos till they got a scania 112 on an E plate the full reg will come to me later,which then ended up on davella transport along with the trailer, then they carried on with just the farm,vince sones used to drive the artic and harry simpson the 8 legger, he worked for royal blue years ago, last i knew vince was working with land rovers and had a regular article in one of the 4x4 mags, harry went onto david pack out of cranford then to fermac but i lost touch since i moved to canada 6 yrs ago, w.a.sales thats tony sales used to pull out of chettles, i remember when i was i kid in the early 70s before tony had his own motors he smashed up one of the scammells that my old man used to drive reg 660 VMA, i last saw him on flour tanks out of finedon mills in wellingborough, i used to use his wrecker at times when i needed it. there are some good books if you can find a copy called on the move and on the move again vol 2 a history of transport in northamptonshire.
does anyone remember winslow transport from finedon? went on to become winslow-abbott then david abbott as i’m sure you will have heard of or worked for.
corby frieght, they had something to do with knights of old, we had a leyland buffalo off them UFP 316X and used to pull flats out of bsc corby, nigel lawman from finedon used to drive it for us then i had it after him, taught me most of what i know ( he worked for winslow years ago) now he is on lawmans buses out of kettering. theres a little bit of history to some of the names,. steve

Hello Steve, I remember Winslow’s when they ran out of Finedon, rear of a garage there. They ran a few motley Albion six wheeled flats with LAD cabs. Did a lot of work out of Whitworth’s in Irthlingborough.

img 001503.jpg

img 001504.jpg

img 001502.jpg

img 001501.jpg

img 001236.jpg

I think you will know that one of Sturgess’ Atki’s is in preservation with Chris Hiorns.

gardnersmoke:

diesel dan:
hi classicman.
i only remember new street motors being based at new street in irthlingborough.owned by don jackson(the original diesel dan) atlas express were behind the cresta cafe.do you remember cresta being the main dodge agents,hugh porter moved on and opened a garage in thrapston, cheers ,diesel.

Don’s partner with NSM was Roy Hockey, I remember going to Revo lighting in Birmingham to pick up two second hand Ford D Series tractor units.

Hi
don was my dad , and I clearly remember jfd914d and gfd257 ,d600’s with the ratchet handbrakes, I’m sure I went with him to collect them as well although only being 12 I was sitting in the middle. He had 1 artic painted in rosebud-mattel colours , but only had time to get 1 side done before the americans visited.he bought shed loads of d series after those 2
he went from havelock st in w’boro (roydon mtrs)to new st in I’boro(new st mtrs) and finally to behind cresta in finedon (nsm carriers). He got forced out of nsm and started back on his own in wellingboro.
Tony jackson

classicman:
I think you will know that one of Sturgess’ Atki’s is in preservation with Chris Hiorns.

Did’nt realise any of his units were saved, I’ll have to keep eye open for it.

tonyj105:

gardnersmoke:

diesel dan:
hi classicman.

Hi
don was my dad , and I clearly remember jfd914d and gfd257 ,d600’s with the ratchet handbrakes, I’m sure I went with him to collect them as well although only being 12 I was sitting in the middle. He had 1 artic painted in rosebud-mattel colours , but only had time to get 1 side done before the americans visited.he bought shed loads of d series after those 2
he went from havelock st in w’boro (roydon mtrs)to new st in I’boro(new st mtrs) and finally to behind cresta in finedon (nsm carriers). He got forced out of nsm and started back on his own in wellingboro.
Tony jackson

Typical Don eh?..Do you remember that old Albion tractor unit he bought for shunting trailers between Irthlingborough and Wellingborough?..I have it on good authority it was Don’s whim to buy it (against Roy’s opinion !!!) apparently the first time they took it out the brakes did’nt want to pull up and put the fear of God into Don :smiley:

Ex Sturgess of Irchester

Not sure if this was one of Stugess’s motors or not. I don’t know who owns it.

You must be thinking of the 1947 albion t/unit, dad loved it , right up until he brought it home 1 dinnertime and as it was an armstrong starter, he left it ticking over outside home, well mum was so impressed she told him never to bring it back ever again, so he cut it up and the back end was made into a dolly and sat at finedon for ages. He always regretted cutting it up , wooden cab and an eaton 2 speed back end, would be worth a fortune now. He bought to shunt trailers to rosebud at raunds.
he did have another albion , fvt247d but that was an ergomatic , it was 1 of the firstvartics I learnt to shunt with, nice little motor

This f86 used to belong to lenny sturgess, I drove it after my dad bought of him, cab rotted through under the drivers seat and the heater was permantly on, but I got everywhere with it
tony

classicman:
Not sure if this was one of Stugess’s motors or not. I don’t know who owns it.

Dont think so , too late a reg, he did have an erf with a gardner 8lxc , but I think he’d retired before we got to c reg

Doesn,t really matter I think, providing someone has bothered to restore a motor into a factual company ‘all is well’ in my opinion. Alot of these restored vehicles run around with the owners name plastered all over them but it doesn’t mean much to me. Good luck to them but a familiar livery from years gone by can really jolt the old memory bank in most cases. I remember seeing Pete Davies AEC Mk 3 eight wheeler finished in Nightingales colours years ago, near took my breath away, it looked fantastic in it’s ‘workaday’ condition and yet when he sold it the new owner repainted it in a fictitious livery, added brass where there should be none and the lorry seemed to have lost it’s soul !!..but that’s just ‘picky me’ again!!. when we restored that ERF KV (ex Whitworth’s) I made sure it resembled a working motor and purposely left a few battle scars on the old girl. I’m pleased to say the new owner has kept it in it’s Whitworth guise and has no plans to change it thus we have a perfect record of what was once a common site. I’ve posted pictures of 899 ABD in other sections of TN but at the risk of being condemned here’s another one below !! :laughing: Love the story about Don’s wife’s views on that old Albion, my brother was with him when the brakes proved to be crap !!!

gardnersmoke:
Doesn,t really matter I think, providing someone has bothered to restore a motor into a factual company ‘all is well’ in my opinion. Alot of these restored vehicles run around with the owners name plastered all over them but it doesn’t mean much to me. Good luck to them but a familiar livery from years gone by can really jolt the old memory bank in most cases. I remember seeing Pete Davies AEC Mk 3 eight wheeler finished in Nightingales colours years ago, near took my breath away, it looked fantastic in it’s ‘workaday’ condition and yet when he sold it the new owner repainted it in a fictitious livery, added brass where there should be none and the lorry seemed to have lost it’s soul !!..but that’s just ‘picky me’ again!!. when we restored that ERF KV (ex Whitworth’s) I made sure it resembled a working motor and purposely left a few battle scars on the old girl. I’m pleased to say the new owner has kept it in it’s Whitworth guise and has no plans to change it thus we have a perfect record of what was once a common site. I’ve posted pictures of 899 ABD in other sections of TN but at the risk of being condemned here’s another one below !! :laughing: Love the story about Don’s wife’s views on that old Albion, my brother was with him when the brakes proved to be crap !!!

I was with him when the brakes failed on one the revo fords coming down gypsy lane out of irchester, rapid ratcheting of that dash mounted hand brake,
mum wasn’t too keen on my atkinson being parked on the drive either

gardnersmoke:

Hey Mick is that you out there, How long have you been on here?