Old northamptonshire companys

Yarrows of Rothwell have gone, although a Will Yarrow still does stock car racing and has a converted coach for transport sponsored by C.S.Ellis. Joyce Brothers of Buton Latimer finished late80’s I think, their yard is now where Sainsburys is in Burton Latimer. Brian Bailey although he has retired can still be seen with his son around the rally fields. He has a Scammell Contractor. a Thornycroft Antar, a Mack fire engine, a tracked military vehicle and, if he’s still got it, he had a wacking great big howitzer type gun that has its own engine.

gilburton:
I must be getting old(lol) Just spent an hour looking through this forum and found the pics of P.Partrick and son or Partricks of Stanwick. I did a double take of the erf “continental” or D, truckertrash, as my brother Graham drove this for a few years at Partricks. I sent him the pics and he could still tell me the number before he saw the pic RRP 86R.
We both started out driving for them in the late 70’s early 80’s. My first truck was an old ERF 150 with wind up handbrake(as in on the buses) and a blanket for heating was optional. 16 gears and you used every one,no flicking it down one like you do today!
I remember once I ran out of diesel coming up rockingham hill, nr Corby and after getting a few gallons it would not pull away because of the steep hill so I had to angle the unit across the road just to get movement in first gear then turn up the hill again and crawl to the top. As new trucks were added to the fleet we got the hand me downs while the older,dare I say,favourites got the best.
I progressed through various ERF’s all what were to become “A” series when the “B” came out. 180 Gardner,Rolls Royce Eagle(ear defenders required), 220 ■■■■■■■ and finally Gardner 240.
I stayed in the UK on General haulage and Tipper work out of British steel subbing for BRS or going round the various cement works with ash type products from Corby and Brixworth known as red or black dust. We also went to British Gypsum at East Leake,Nottingham again for cement . Another regular job was Weetabix with a flatbed and ropes and sheets. Can you imagine roping and sheeting absorbent boxes today■■?
My brother stayed on continental work and indeed is still living and working in France today.
If you have any pics of the older ERF’s in Partricks yard truckertrash I would be pleased to see them! Ali Gilbert

RRP86R in retirement -

show your brother these! Robert :slight_smile:

5358507348_f8b72c667e_z.jpg

13337062845_6fc4dc4065.jpg

wardg:

Although Butts are still going, 2 contract liveries no longer seen

A couple of the Freers vehicles

Grooms are from Leighton Buzzard, they are livestock hauliers, owned by John Hebbs. Their yard is on the B488 Leighton to Ivinghoe Rd, just before the village of Horton, the trucks behind, Jellis’s, are from just down the road in Ivinghoe.

Think Grooms were from Northants (may still be running with plain white vehicles)

Aileys scania

Aileys scania

classicman:

tonyj105:

telecom:
I remember the Clarks fleet in 1969 I worked at the Croda plant at Mkt HarboroughWhich processed waste from Luton and bermonsey plants
If my memory is correct one driver John had a Guy Big J with a RR Eagle 220 in it I also remember few other drivers Tony&Gordon Limmidge
Bob Roy &Hans( Happy Days)

tony

Were you there when a chap called Alan Dyke was fitter there.

t

I remember Alan Dyke well, liked him a lot, ingenious.

Haven’t seen him for donkeys years mind, wonder if he’s still about…his son Larry got into lorry mechanical work too.

Which reminds me, i’m sure someone i was talking to a few months ago said something about Larry working for Truck East…but don’t quote me on that cos my memories shot to bloody pieces, he could be working anywhere…must ask the lads when i’m down at Truck East next.

Juddian:

classicman:

tonyj105:

telecom:
I remember the Clarks fleet in 1969 I worked at the Croda plant at Mkt HarboroughWhich processed waste from Luton and bermonsey plants
If my memory is correct one driver John had a Guy Big J with a RR Eagle 220 in it I also remember few other drivers Tony&Gordon Limmidge
Bob Roy &Hans( Happy Days)

tony

Were you there when a chap called Alan Dyke was fitter there.

t

I remember Alan Dyke well, liked him a lot, ingenious.

Haven’t seen him for donkeys years mind, wonder if he’s still about…his son Larry got into lorry mechanical work too.

Which reminds me, i’m sure someone i was talking to a few months ago said something about Larry working for Truck East…but don’t quote me on that cos my memories shot to bloody pieces, he could be working anywhere…must ask the lads when i’m down at Truck East next.

The Croda plant near Mkt Harborough , is now the present J G Pears rendering plant by the Grand Union canal. The near by residents often complain of the unpleasant odours , as i would whilst cycling along the canal . cc

hi nice to see northants getting a mention anyone remember brs overland middleast with the rare m/e marathons or bob ward used to have a magirus/deutz good man to know if u break down . and another few supertrucking from far cotton .and p.s.trucking orange transcon

Anybody remember a company called Harbourne Transport of Wellingborough? Worked for them in the mid eighties.
As I remember rightly,they ran mostly DAF and Volvo.Roger Britchford is a name I remember as well.

Harbourne started life as Harbourne Rentals in Pytchley Rd Kettering hiring trucks out to pop group tours. Theres a famous photo of ABBA by a Volvo F88, that was one of their trucks. It stayed in the area for while afterwards still with the ABBA symbol on the door.
I think they then went to Wellingborough and doing more general transport. They ended up as a Renault dealership on the Finedon Rd I.E. Wellingborough. There is a series of 3 books called ‘On The Move’ about old transport in the area and they have some photos of their trucks in.

classicman:
Harbourne started life as Harbourne Rentals in Pytchley Rd Kettering hiring trucks out to pop group tours. Theres a famous photo of ABBA by a Volvo F88, that was one of their trucks. It stayed in the area for while afterwards still with the ABBA symbol on the door.
I think they then went to Wellingborough and doing more general transport. They ended up as a Renault dealership on the Finedon Rd I.E. Wellingborough. There is a series of 3 books called ‘On The Move’ about old transport in the area and they have some photos of their trucks in.

hi
I had the pleasure of driving that (abba) f88 for a few weeks when united carriers hired it while my lorry was off the road .it was the first foreign lorry I had driven . what a shock it was to go out the gate and up the steep hill and change up a gear, in the old lv erf you would just leave it in second gear till you reached the top .lol but the brakes were useless, and the heater actually blew hot air out .lol. also had another harbournes f10 that pulled the rolling stones tour trailer

badgerboy51:
Anybody remember a company called Harbourne Transport of Wellingborough? Worked for them in the mid eighties.
As I remember rightly,they ran mostly DAF and Volvo.Roger Britchford is a name I remember as well.

Harbourrne took david abbott haulage over that how they got in to the haulage game

I joined the company in 1986,just after they had a load of trucks on the Kind of MagicQueen tour at Wembley Stadium,really gutted about that!

roybros 2800.png
wrights ( Roy Bros ) from Cogenhoe - remember them ?

boris:

I suppose they found they made more money hiring than operating

BINNS PBH2R.png

Did he not roll one of these in France which cost him the E. M Rogers work & then himself going under ?

boris:

I worked for them, for about 3 months, must have been early 80’s, when i put me notice in they more or less sent me to coventry, not the drivers but the traffic office etc, amazing.