Old North East haulage companies (Part 1)

thanks,for the stiller link
i serveed my time with them in the 70,s, when they were at middleton st george. Only 40 odd motors then , but some great characters. The workshop was also full of some great lads as well, I seen a cpl of Ex stillers Daf`s in Sudan few years ago, still with orange plates on as well, I remeber a new 290 doing the darlington parade, and just about gassing everyone as it went slowly past, and that was with theexhauster in as well !!,

Smith of Maddiston from Stockton,long gone now!

Hi nevcambell
What about this one Sedgwick of Redworth nr Darlington

JOHN

hi a few more haulage out fitt’s from the n/e,
jack snee, wardels, r-a-h ( reggie hunter), brownlees, e Riley, stenburg, all long gone, :frowning: :frowning:

Hi Bumper,RAH Transporters Darlington are a blast from the past,green motors,carried a lot of long loads. I like that Mcphees photo,they didn’t hang about even in the 60s and IIRC they ran a Newcastle - Wolverhampton trunk (return) when they got Scania 110s later on,not bad when you remember that there was no M18/M1 link off the A1 down to Derby and the A38.They ran off the A1 and down the A614 via Ollerton to Notts and that way to Derby and Wolves.
This is all from memory so you can put me right if I’m off tangent :laughing:

mcpherson ,durham leggett, peterlee cowie truck rental, sunderland chastney ,seaham spoors, sunderland cawthorn, birtley smith and dixon , sunderland

Some good old pics from Bumper there, the Cook’s Invincible 8 Wheeler looks a smart machine, when eight leggers ruled. The last pic on Newcastle Quayside shows Ouseburn Transport (R Steenburg) AEC Mercury loading from the ship, could be Carbide but they might have been in smaller drums. The lad holding his hand to his head is Ronnie Hodgen (probably thinking how many more of these bloody things are left) who drove the AEC, on his right looking towards the ship is my Dad, I recognized the pose of both of them when I first got this pic off Bumper last year, and funnily enough Dads Jumper, it had a cream V neck which stands out in the pic. A few years later they were issued with Green overalls and of course got the mickey taken by drivers from other well known NE firms, Robin Hood’s Merry Men etc! I’ve only got that and this other photo of my Father, in the aforementioned overalls, when he worked for Steenburgs, he’s standing infront of a 32:4:220 Seddon Diesel which I had the pleasure of driving many times. A nice working shot of Newcastle Docks. Franky.

hiya,
Who was the haulier who used to run coal from Seaham to Consett very tidy modern Scania’s they were red and well lettered, one day very prolific the next day gone, i think a case of all the eggs in one basket a bit like the James boys from o’er the border in Northumberland, now they had some flying machines never saw those lads parked up.
thanks harry long retired.

What about WA Glendinning Ltd, who were the top hauliers in the region.

was that tipper firm thomas brothers frum murton, had a lot of transcontinentals, grey and red

hi lads, twinsplitter one of your dads friends Joe codling, i believe has some photos of P-G-WALTON, think he work for pip back late 50/60, Chris most of the north east lads would use the blyth-worksop-mansfield route in the days before the M1/M18 was opened, few photos of some N/E haulage outfitts,

twin splitter:
was that tipper firm thomas brothers frum murton, had a lot of transcontinentals, grey and red

hiya,
Yes mate thats them i just got a picture in my head that they ran Scanias their motors was always tidy and there seemed to be plenty of them, thank you.

hiya bumper, great photos. ive got some photos from joe from cawthorns early continental days and when he worked for mcphersons. i cant find them at the minute. heres one of his son derek

Its a small world in the Transport game, the last pic Bumper posted of the Albany Storage Mercedes was then driven by Tommy Connelly or TC as he was more often known, those are his kids in the cab. Tommy later worked for many years for Van Hee as I did, however while I was doing some driving for a small firm in Portabello Birtley called Cabplant, delivering portacabins and small plant I drove the very same unit. I met up with Tommy one day and he pointed this out saying he loved the old Merc when he first had it, which was still in very good condition although a little out of puff compared to the motors of the day. When I later returned to Van Hee driving, the first regular unit I got was Tommy’s old Transcon WOK 158T, again still in excellent nick, I drove it for a few years until when returning from Team Valley one day the ■■■■■■■ engine started to knock and it was retired into a corner of the yard never to be repaired as the Transcons were making way for the Scania 112’s.
A few years after leaving Van Hee I was told Tommy had lost a short fight with Cancer, he would be sadly missed by many of his colleagues and drivers that knew him. Below is a couple of pics of TC with the Ford on his one trip to France with Middle East veteran Big Chris Christianson. Franky.

Anyone else remember Hutchinson Transport? OK, not strictly North East, as they were Cardiff based, but had a depot at Felling in the late sixties, then moved to a new place at Birtley. Grey AEC six wheelers mainly, but a couple of twin-steer Mammoth Minors as well. Sadly no longer operating.

hiya,
Not forgetting BRS depot’s at Team Valley,Consett, Hexham and the Scottish boys on the Felling Bypass (Caledonian) lovely chocolate.

harry_gill:
hiya,
Not forgetting BRS depot’s at Team Valley,Consett, Hexham and the Scottish boys on the Felling Bypass (Caledonian) lovely chocolate.

Are you sure youv’e no Viking blood in your viens H as you always seem to know where there is “Loot” (chocolate) cheers Dennis.

Bewick:

harry_gill:
hiya,

Are you sure youv’e no Viking blood in your viens H as you always seem to know where there is “Loot” (chocolate) cheers Dennis.

hiya,
Dennis when working for Cookies (Consett BRS) used to get sent to the Felling depot to help out on the odd occasion to do a local job or two i think that place had the name of a chocolate firm along the front of the building, was a distribution and storage depot for the goodies well it was a bit like letting a big kid loose in a sweet shop but am paying the price now of having a sweet tooth in days gone by. Dennis it’s doubtful about the Viking blood the Bells whisky takes priority.

hi lads , twin splitter, it was a bit of a shock when Derick died, i believe that Joe’s brother john is still going strong , he work for McGovern’s the brick outfit, john did the m/e for some one at wallsend, “forgot ting they name” had f88 volvos, Sheppard took them over, :unamused: :unamused: Emmerson2 Paul Burr my brother in law worked for Hutchinson, he work for universal bedding at chirton depot before that, an old mate sent me these photos of R-A-H , bumper

HI HARRY CANT BE MANY OLD SIDDLE COOK MEN ABOUT NOW I WAS THERE WHEN THE CALLY TOOK OVER THE COMPANY I HAVE AN OLD FLEET LIST WHEN I GET MY SCANNER SET UP I WILL PUT IT ON THE SITE