Old North East haulage companies (Part 1)

peacocks of gateshead at tipcon harrogate

some of elddis dafs at a show in the 80s

featherstones of hamsterly

whitstage of crook use to do a lot out the wavin plastics factory at meadowfield in the 80s

tulips at whitch hill quarry there still about with about 4 motors

gary lambs true blue from sunderland with a G E armstrong from meadowfield f10 in the background and a old john dee fl10 behind that

harry_gill:

Chris Webb:
Some good old photos on there marcy :sunglasses:
Can you remember the name of the haulier from Leadgate up your way?

hiya,
Chris do you mean Youngs a tipper outfit cream f86s did a week or two for them when first arriving in the North East in 1972,did’nt like tipper work.
thanks harry long retired

Aye,that’s them Harry,Youngs. :wink:

i’d forgotten about whitstage, jackie copeland i think his name was, helluva grafter that man was, day and night, wonder what happened to him, anyone know?

deeline:
i’d forgotten about whitstage, jackie copeland i think his name was, helluva grafter that man was, day and night, wonder what happened to him, anyone know?

he passed away a few years ago the last one he had was a scania 4 series still in the same livery i dont know what his family did with it as he was driveing till the end

hiya,
there was a lot of one man band O/Ds in the North East my good pal George Walton got up to two motors at one time himself, and his son also George, another character and a guy who i’ve had a few beers with was Ernie King now retired as for large companies there was Grady-Halls, Simpsons and Chester le Street haulage and Pilkingtons Tankers all within walking distance of where i live, i think only Simpsons remain operational.
thanks harry long retired.

sorry to hear about jack copeland, one of the nice guy’s, does anyone remember a guy called ray crudass from over bishop auckland way, he ran a left ■■■■■■ 110 scania, blue and white with italy, france , middle east , north africa, wrote above the grille on it, he used to do quite a bit of italy, spain and germany for deeline in the 80’s, he was quite a character as well.

deeline:
sorry to hear about jack copeland, one of the nice guy’s, does anyone remember a guy called ray crudass from over bishop auckland way, he ran a left ■■■■■■ 110 scania, blue and white with italy, france , middle east , north africa, wrote above the grille on it, he used to do quite a bit of italy, spain and germany for deeline in the 80’s, he was quite a character as well.

My Dad knew Ray Crudass, I remember when I used to go with My Dad to work on a sat morning or when schools where on holiday (happy days, most firms dont allow it now) seeing His Scania parked up in the lay by at the top of Parkhead bank whenever He was home. My Dad worked for Brunskill’s from Hartlepool until they closed & then TW Grieg from Bishop Auckland if anyone remembers them, last yard they had was at Sedgfield. Rangers moved into that yard when Greig’s closed down. Randolph Coke works finished, Miners strike & Hartlepool plate mill finished around the same time, that was all their main work gone.

andrewv8:

deeline:
Randolph Coke works finished, Miners strike & Hartlepool plate mill finished around the same time, that was all their main work gone.

Randolph Coke ovens are a blast from the past Andrew,I used to go in there in the late 60s for crude benzene and take it to Dorman Long Chemicals (BSC) at Port Clarence,Teesside.IIRC it was an independant company,not far off the A1 near Newton Aycliffe.I remember how neat and tidy it was,not like your normal coking plants.

To get to Randolph Coke works you went into West Auckland, turn right onto Copeland rd, up the bank towards Evenwood. Randolph on left. Dad used to take coal in from the pits around the north east, Easington, Hawthorn, Seaham etc & take coke out. I use to go with My Dad on a sat morning, normally to the steel works at Redcar. I used to have to hide on the bed when We got there as kids aint allowed on site. Happy days.

marcy:
peacocks of gateshead at tipcon harrogate

some of elddis dafs at a show in the 80s

featherstones of hamsterly

whitstage of crook use to do a lot out the wavin plastics factory at meadowfield in the 80s

tulips at whitch hill quarry there still about with about 4 motors

gary lambs true blue from sunderland with a G E armstrong from meadowfield f10 in the background and a old john dee fl10 behind that

I remember Peacocks from Eighton Banks Gateshead, mate of mine Billy Davison worked for them on the sheep carriers. The pics of Gary Lambs DAF and the Elddis motors look they were taken at the Geordie Truckers Club show at Witton Castle.I worked with Gary on the containers,IIRC their lass chased him cos he spent all her housekeeping on his wagon.

Got these today at M6 Forton services nr Lancaster

JOHN

Stanfield:
Got these today at M6 Forton services nr Lancaster

JOHN

That’ll be a Plymouth motor Ithink,Idon’t there’s any 08 Premiums at Washington. Fergies busy changing over to MANs, all second hand, decent wagons but still somebody’s cast-offs.

deeline:
would like to see any pic’s of the following,

JOHN DEE/DEELINE INTERNATIONAL, FERRYHILL
DENT’S OF SPENNYMOOR
DIRECT TRANSPORT, SHILDON
W H WILLIAM’S, SPENNYMOOR
E SWINDELL, PIERCEBRIDGE
D MCCUNE, NEWTON AYCLIFFE

i have worked for some of these companies who are now long gone, although j.dee now operating as katem i believe, would like to see any pic’s just to bring back a few memorie’s of when it was a pleasure to be driving unlike the just in time rat race we are all involved in today.

Don’t forget Hornes of Bishop Aukland, my old pal Eddie Young used to work for them, regards to all, Haddy, Gt.Yarmouth.

M.E.P. sunderland
norman keeniside gateshead
kristiansen & jarvis gateshead
DMC freight birtley on contract to abbeywell morpeth
CPS haulage gateshead
steels engineering sunderland
hubby ord tyne & wear trucks sunderland
spoors haulage sunderland
alan askew- asktrans
biily guy sunderland
gurteens sundeland
mcdine&sons gateshead
jimmy lister transport
billy lister transport
cheers marcus

Ron tailford haulage prudhoe, now rth-lubbers international, GT leadbitter newcastle

CRS prudhoe , winston churchill removals sunderland
R&R hands prudhoe, R blenkinsop sunderland
Ponteland haulage, Hay pollock
Nigel row durham, patrick transport sunderland
Cornings sunderland, Ken curry-kenco
Vaux brewerys sunderland, Granville bell owner driver newcastle
lawson freight sunderland, John scott transport newcastle
taxi freight gateshead, Sean hannah cranes newcastle
PC Bruce gateshead, Shorts gateshead
McDonnels sunderland now gps, Interfreight newcastle
Sean lee durham, Thos hardy haulage
Barkers birtley,
Walter list south shields must be loads more,
paul rea shields, cheers Mark

hi all
i remember a couple of owner drivers for Elddis
Stewart young
big john whos daf was in the photo cant remember his second name and their was a guy with a white scania cant remember his name either.

cheers Mark

One of the oldest names in the business is still going strong in the area.
E&N Ritchie from Hetton le Hole (est1898) are now into their third century
not a massive fleet but certainly one of the smartest around, without
looking like tarted up gypsy caravans or advertising hordings for gangster films

Staffords are still in business aswell, just round the corner from Ritchies. They must both do work for the secret service, you never seem to see them tipping or loading anywhere.Staffords used to load out of Domtar paper mill at Grangetown years ago when I worked at Smith & Dixons, was running green & white Fiats. The only time I’ve seen any of Ritchies motors is at the classic motor shows and steam rallies.

howsa bout from Darlington area
H OLDHAM & SON
STILLERS
ARNOLD DAVIES
LINTZGARTH

Theres a thread on here about Stillers.