Old North East haulage companies (Part 1)

Ray Brown:
This was the entrance to Crows Transport Abbots Road Gateshead shared with Rooney Scrap. The white building on the left was Elders and Walkers (glass) Paint depot. Here’s a few more of old hard working trucks sadly long gone! The BRS Seddon is identical to the one my brother drove at TVTE around 1970.

I wonder if the Scammell scrapper is this one with James and Alec Smith?

That Maudsley 8 Wheeler of Cappy’s is interesting as it has an ‘e’ added to the end of the name, I’ve seen this before but I’m not sure it was this eight wheeler or a tractor unit with the same spelling of Capstaff/Capstaffe. Franky.

A few more old scrappers!

586FB2A6-C0BA-40AD-A6B5-884314BCA26F.jpeg

Ray Brown:
A few more old scrappers!

The Onward Crusader, the notice “do not take out” was for the benefit of the office donkey :smiley:
A cab happy 18yr old who thought he knew it all :imp: :imp: :imp: his so called “sheeting”
matched the look of the shunt unit. :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: sorry Iain couldn’t resist it. :wink: :wink:
You did improve with a bit of tuition :smiley: :smiley: Regards Kev.

IIRC The Adams Scammell was driven by Angus Armstrong, Another long serving driver for them, Larry.

Lawrence Dunbar:
IIRC The Adams Scammell was driven by Angus Armstrong, Another long serving driver for them, Larry.

Larry, I think Angus Armstrong is pictured roping that 8 wheeler and drag of Crows, seen on an earlier page on the thread. Regards Kev.

kevmac47:

Lawrence Dunbar:

Larry, I think Angus Armstrong is pictured roping that 8 wheeler and drag of Crows, seen on an earlier page on the thread. Regards Kev.

Hi Kev, the guy you mentioned sheeting Crows 8 wheeler and drag was called Angus Parker. In the 60s he used to drive a four wheel AEC Mercury. I remember when the long distance drivers would come in the yard and there were no shunters. They were asked to tip their own motor if it was local, that’s where I came in to go with them and give them a hand because as you can imagine they were shattered with driving all night. I accompanied Angus on many a trip,( nice bloke). Drivers like him taught me the right way how to rope and sheet. Ray.

Ray Brown:

kevmac47:

Lawrence Dunbar:

Hi Kev, the guy you mentioned sheeting Crows 8 wheeler and drag was called Angus Parker. In the 60s he used to drive a four wheel AEC Mercury. I remember when the long distance drivers would come in the yard and there were no shunters. They were asked to tip their own motor if it was local, that’s where I came in to go with them and give them a hand because as you can imagine they were shattered with driving all night. I accompanied Angus on many a trip,( nice bloke). Drivers like him taught me the right way how to rope and sheet. Ray.

Sorry Ray, I always got those two names mixed up. :blush: :blush: :blush: . Regards Kev.

An interesting one of Newcastle Quayside, I wonder what year this was!
The S&N Atkinson colour takes you back a while.
The Pentleton and Hare drag looks bigger than the motor.
A nice old Leyland Comet.

Great Photos Ray, Keep them rolling. Larry

This is some sleeper cab on the Bedford! A few more oldies.

DD3A6376-FEC2-484E-8A4D-6B1E131C12E7.jpeg

I’ll have to rake through my photo’s to find more S&N pics that I was given by a modeller friend when I built an S&N ERF A Series model. I’m sure the above Aki was one of those he had taken and which I at some point put on the web. Amazing how these photo’s turn up years later. Here’s the ERF unit still to be registered! Franky.