Old North East haulage companies (Part 1)

Great photos Franky, 1929 regs, I remember Duechers Brewery running some when I was still at school, How things have changed :slight_smile: ,Larry.

J.S.Stirk & Sons MAN from Durham 1979. ( Click on image once)

tipper stirk durham 79 ppg pne.PNG

Great old pic here of a Leyland Lynx owned by CA Parsons of Newcastle, a hive of activity ensuring that load goes where its supposed to! Franky.

CA Parsons.jpg

Geordielad:
Two oldies borrowed from the British Lorry Nostalgia site, nice clear photo’s. Franky.

Very sad to announce the death of ex long distance veteran and member of this site Jim ‘Bumper’ Russell. Jim passed away last night after a hard fought battle due to Liver cancer. He was one of the Northeast’s transport industries characters and ultimate professional in his work, also his vast knowledge of Britain’s roads and delivery points were inspirational to younger drivers who sought his help during their driving career. His humorous stories and memories of old driving days were always worth listening to, I personally had many interesting and informative conversations with Jim when I worked with him at Van Hee Transport. He will be sadly missed by friends and colleagues, especially at our regular Newcastle driver reunions but most of all by his Wife and family and I’m sure we all send our regards and thoughts to them at their sad time. This photo shows Jim on the right next to Tony Van Hee at a reunion recently, when sadly Tony also passed away not long after. Old long time driving pals Big Kris and Jimmy Hill also in the pic. RiP ‘Bumper’ Franky.

Jim Bumper Russell.jpg

Geordielad:
Very sad to announce the death of ex long distance veteran and member of this site Jim ‘Bumper’ Russell. Jim passed away last night after a hard fought battle due to Liver cancer. He was one of the Northeast’s transport industries characters and ultimate professional in his work, also his vast knowledge of Britain’s roads and delivery points were inspirational to younger drivers who sought his help during their driving career. His humorous stories and memories of old driving days were always worth listening to, I personally had many interesting and informative conversations with Jim when I worked with him at Van Hee Transport. He will be sadly missed by friends and colleagues, especially at our regular Newcastle driver reunions but most of all by his Wife and family and I’m sure we all send our regards and thoughts to them at their sad time. This photo shows Jim on the right next to Tony Van Hee at a reunion recently, when sadly Tony also passed away not long after. Old long time driving pals Big Kris and Jimmy Hill also in the pic. RiP ‘Bumper’ Franky.

I second everything you say Franky, a true gent he’ll be sadly missed.
IMG_20220312_213201.jpg

Sad news,met bumper through this group and had several conversations and a few beers with him

Deepest sympathy and regards to his family and friends on such a sad occasion. Paul W

This was the entrance to Crows Transport Abbots Road Gateshead shared with Rooney Scrap. The white building on the left was Elders and Walkers (glass) Paint depot. Here’s a few more of old hard working trucks sadly long gone! The BRS Seddon is identical to the one my brother drove at TVTE around 1970.

Ray Brown:
This was the entrance to Crows Transport Abbots Road Gateshead shared with Rooney Scrap. The white building on the left was Elders and Walkers (glass) Paint depot. Here’s a few more of old hard working trucks sadly long gone! The BRS Seddon is identical to the one my brother drove at TVTE around 1970.

Good pics Ray, keep them coming. :smiley: :smiley: Regards Kev.

Ray Brown:
This was the entrance to Crows Transport Abbots Road Gateshead shared with Rooney Scrap. The white building on the left was Elders and Walkers (glass) Paint depot.

Rooney is still there I often walk past it although the white building is still there

I wonder if this guy is still working there!! Another couple of oldies too.

Rooneys are still going, Their depot is now on South Shore Road. I was very pally with some of their drivers in the 50/60s Era, They had two Commer T/S, four wheeler flats along with a few Ford 4ds. Larry.

Lawrence Dunbar:
Rooneys are still going, Their depot is now on South Shore Road. I was very pally with some of their drivers in the 50/60s Era, They had two Commer T/S, four wheeler flats along with a few Ford 4ds. Larry.

His brother Walter
A very good pal of mine Walter Boyd drove for Rooneys, His Brother Pat Boyd worked along side me in the 50s for Baxters Road Services on the Quayside, As time went on Things changed as they did in those days, Sadley they are both gone, Rest in peace, Larry.

Regarding the photo of Rooneys, I recall an old man called John used to live in the shed on the photo for years. When I was 15 I used to sit on the wall to the right of the photo and spoke to him often. I remember he smoked a clay pipe and went to Littlewoods on Gateshead High Street for his breakfast, I never found out why he ended up living in that shed. It’s seems strange that the Rooney Brothers, Mark and John passed him daily in their new Mercedes cars and smart suits but didn’t seem to acknowledge him. Getting back to the Commers, Rooneys had some good contacts, ie Wiggins Teap. They also had a Commer insulated meat delivery van but the pride of their fleet was a Commer Skip Loader dragged onto the motor , I think it was called a Dempser Dinosaur. Yes you’re right Laurence, Rooneys is on South Shore Road located next to Harry Nicols yard but I believe it’s owned by a relation of the Rooneys now.

Keep the pics and the memories coming Ray, they’re great! Regards Kev.

Does anyone know anything about this company??. I’m familiar with the others.

Ray Brown:
Does anyone know anything about this company??. I’m familiar with the others.

Well IIRC They were some sort of Plumbers & Glass Merchants in the 50/60s era, Plus the Bedford has a 1960s Leeds Reg.

A few great AEC Mandators.

393D7FF7-CD89-48D8-9481-9F068EA27418.jpg

69A353F4-71A6-428B-B6C4-2152329C0B61.jpg

A few 8 Wheeler’s.