Old North East haulage companies (Part 1)

The photo of the Teddy Boys isn’t from the era, it’s a much later time around the 70’s or 80’s apparently, the lads being from a sort of Teddy Boy appreciation club, however the photo caught the look well. Franky.

5thwheel:

Lawrence Dunbar:

5thwheel:

tyneside:
First two photos taken outside Pilgrim St.Fire Stn. It was one big photo but I had to split it to get it posted
Tyneside

:laughing: AKA As Brothel Creepers, :wink:

I wouldn’t know Larry!. In the 50s you could buy a pair at The City Stylish shop on Newbridge Street for 12shillings and sixpence Oxblood courler, I did in fact wear them in those days :slight_smile: , Larry.

David

Please excuse mad bad spelling again :confused: .Larry.

Is this thread coming to an end, I hope not but it looks like that way to me, :exclamation: :exclamation: :exclamation: , Larry.

You might know this Kev! Do you know anything about this Felling Haulage company? I’ve never heard of them. Here’s a couple of Watsons too!

C90998C6-072D-41E2-A889-9025775CB7D8.jpeg

Ray Brown:
You might know this Kev! Do you know anything about this Felling Haulage company? I’ve never heard of them. Here’s a couple of Watsons too!

Sorry Ray, I’ve never heard of them, Larry might have some info, after all he’s been around quite a bit longer than I have! :smiling_imp: :smiling_imp: or possibly Ralph might know. Regards Kev.

kevmac47:

Ray Brown:

Sorry Ray, I’ve never heard of them, Larry might have some info, after all he’s been around quite a bit longer than I have! :smiling_imp: :smiling_imp: or possibly Ralph might know. Regards Kev.

. Hi Kev, IIRC They also went under the name Blayney, They were also in the Imperial Garage on Sunderland Road Felling, Larry.

Lawrence Dunbar:

kevmac47:

Ray Brown:

. Hi Kev, IIRC They also went under the name Blayney, They were also in the Imperial Garage on Sunderland Road Felling, Larry.

Hj Kev, Ive just had another look at the wagon and it has got Blayneys name on the chock rail,Larry.

Lawrence Dunbar:

Lawrence Dunbar:

kevmac47:

Ray Brown:

Hj Kev, Ive just had another look at the wagon and it has got Blayneys name on the chock rail,Larry.

Thanks Larry, I thought you might know. Where was Imperial Garage on Sunderland Rd?
Regards Kev.

Hi Kev, IIRC It was on the lefthand side heading towards Felling, Blayneys in later years ran some Scammells on heavy haulage work.They were a grey colour with gold lettering,Larry.

I vaguely remember talk of Blayneys when I started work in the mid 60’s, but cannot remember from whom or in what context. Where exactly was their garage, then?

I’ve just been catching up on the last few pages of posts and was pleased to see the pics of the Crystal Palace, which was next door to my grandfather’s yard. I heard tell years ago that it had a back door which led straight into his yard, but don’t imagine that it was true.

While I’m on, does anyone have any pictures of wagons from L P Nelson and Son of S Shields? When I was doing his repairs, he ran mainly Bedfords, but the old man used to regale me with tales of ‘Nelson’s Mules’ (which did the same work as my family’s Clydesdales, but in S Shields to the Lawe Top, and not up Oakwellgate) and of taking a week or more to get to S Wales in his chain drive Maudsley.

Queer old b****r was Jimmy Nelson, I can tell you, hands like size 10 shovels! His son, Denholm, was a really lovely bloke. All long gone now, I believe.

Thanks to the regulars on here for keeping it going and so interesting!

Can’t remember if i have put these on before, but here are a couple of Arthur Sandersons in the yard at Great Broughton, North Yorkshire ready for night trunk down to Newport, South Wales.

Another old Gateshead haulage company which I’ve never heard of but now long gone and a one of Waugh’s Newcastle.

6FB98368-2C26-4C31-9CBA-4415F6ED1871.jpeg

Jshepguis , Hi
Just looking at the Sandersons photos, brought back memories from when I started driving in the mid sixties. Used to run to the Midlands with an Albion Riever and would some times meet the night trunk heading south on the old road between Raglan and Usk. (Cold harbour ). It was like a country lane compared to the current A449. If they were loaded with wide steel plate it could be a bit hairy as they didn’t
hang about ! . Thanks for the memory.
Allan

Ray Brown:
Another old Gateshead haulage company which I’ve never heard of but now long gone and a one of Waugh’s Newcastle.

Two good pics there Ray, that looks like Crawleyside bank heading south on the A68 with the Waughs Atki, can’t make out the number , my first motor at Waughs was TBB 366G.
I wonder :question: :question: Regards Kev.

When I was a fifteen year old wagon lad at Crows listening to the old drivers they always used to reminisce about old haulage companies and the one that always stuck in my mind was claim that Charles Alexander was the biggest company in the UK.

A408F7ED-9BED-48B7-B1CE-F47781B51B7E.jpeg

Ray, this was my second motor at Waughs, that little girl in my arms is 51 now.
Coincidentally the original driver of both motors was Larry’s great pal Parky Denham.
I got that mk2 when he took delivery of the first 240 Gardner Borderer.
The Armstrong’s Comet was owned and restored by the late Bill Wilkinson.
A great friend long gone and sadly missed. Regards Kev

kevmac47:
Coincidentally the original driver of both motors was Larry’s great pal Parky Denham.
A great friend long gone and sadly missed. Regards Kev10

.ch Kev, I remember when he first got it we were in Jimmys Cafe, Everyone was asking him whats it like, I had smile when replied Well Its a toss up between it and my Niece; Of course he didnt say which one, :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: ,Larry.

Lawrence Dunbar:

kevmac47:
A great friend long gone and sadly missed. Regards Kev10

.ch Kev, I remember when he first got it we were in Jimmys Cafe, Everyone was asking him whats it like, I had smile when replied Well Its a toss up between it and my Niece; Of course he didnt say which one, :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: ,Larry.

He had an awful lot of niece’s did Parky!! :wink: :wink:

Ray Brown:
When I was a fifteen year old wagon lad at Crows listening to the old drivers they always used to reminisce about old haulage companies and the one that always stuck in my mind was claim that Charles Alexander was the biggest company in the UK.

Hiya,
The largest A licenced haulier in the UK was Scottish CooP
carrying both own products and goods for hire and reward.