Old North East haulage companies (Part 1)

Hi Allan, It was a 40ft York, We did in fact add another axle so it could run at 38 tonne, Larry.

Hi Allan this is the York 40ft. That we converted so it could run at 38 tonne, It could carry 26 tonn

e with the Leyland Roadtrain Unit, Larry.

Lawrence Dunbar,
Good morning Larry,
Thanks for the reply and photos, looks like I need to book an eye test.
Regards, Allan

David Lowdon.

International Paints Felling, still going strong as AxoNobel.
Three old timers!!!

Hi this is a long shot, just had a granddaughter of an old driver who drove for Davidson @ Adamson ask if John Adamson is still about. Any old drivers would remember JP from Haltwhistle John Parker RIP, she would like to meet John and ask about her grandad cheers Bob

Nice old ERF!

0A898AE1-E1E6-4883-BA28-1CAAFAFB779C.jpeg

Ray Brown:
Nice old ERF!

Hiya,
Didn’t Bryan Robson do continental with this ERF ?.

harry_gill:

Ray Brown:
Nice old ERF!

Hiya,
Didn’t Bryan Robson do continental with this ERF ?.

Not sure about that Harry but my dad drove a similar ERF for Cawthorn’s . Cheers!!

CPS used to be based in Orall and Brewster yard on Hawks Road Saltmeadows. They used to do lots of work for an aluminium company in Birtley.

65BF44F7-2401-4F71-9BD9-FF2FFDDB0EDB.jpeg

CPS used to be based in Orall and Brewster yard on Hawks Road Saltmeadows. They used to do lots of work for an aluminium company in Birtley.

Before the Saltmeadows site Ray CPS was opposite the Van Hee yard and workshop on Pelaw industrial estate. The DAF on the right was Alan Askew’s who previously drove for Van Hee and subbed for CPS when he became an OD. Still see Alan at our biannual drivers get together in Newcastle, cracking lad Alan. Franky.

One of Cook’s heavy haulers.

7AA48AB2-2950-4D04-9D4A-A5A87E788D35.jpeg

Came across this photo of a Vaux Brewery tanker crossing the Tyne Bridge, I thought someone on this site was asking about it a while ago.

Ray Brown:
Came across this photo of a Vaux Brewery tanker crossing the Tyne Bridge, I thought someone on this site was asking about it a while ago.

Can’t have had any baffles in the tank - they do prefer 50/50 froth to beer OOP North :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

whisperingsmith:

Ray Brown:

Can’t have had any baffles in the tank - they do prefer 50/50 froth to beer OOP North :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Half a pint of decent beer with a lively top has got to be better than the flat dishwater served up as beer in the south, the “infamous” Watneys Red Barrel comes to mind! :open_mouth: :open_mouth: regards Kev.

kevmac47:

whisperingsmith:

Ray Brown:

Half a pint of decent beer with a lively top has got to be better than the flat dishwater served up as beer in the south, the “infamous” Watneys Red Barrel comes to mind! :open_mouth: :open_mouth: regards Kev.

And then that Courage muck you have to be courageous to drink that pzzz.

harry_gill:

kevmac47:

whisperingsmith:

Ray Brown:

And then that Courage muck you have to be courageous to drink that pzzz.

The worst beer I ever tasted was Badger Bitter and the best was always Newcastle Ex and Fed Special. More old brewery truck photos to post if any one is interested.

Ray Brown:

Hi Ray; Yes it was me asking about a photo of a Ex Vaux Atkinson Borderer which I drove at Morton’s of Wooler from 79 till 82 but it was a newer one on a M plate. They had two Borderers which come through Wooler every day before being replaced with Ford Transcontinentals.Regards Colin.

A few more old photos.

89E3FFC4-6354-4464-BE12-3B523AFFC017.jpeg

Well worked motor.