Old North East haulage companies (Part 1)

Lawrence Dunbar:

keith8357:
0first truck i had aged 18, worked at st peters, newcastle, for the warehouse

Hi Kieth, Was Jack Shaw the warehouse bloke, And Arthur Fox the yard man., Larry.

yes Larry jack shaw and arthur, then after jack a bloke called john liversedge came in.

hi larry, yes Jack Shaw & Arthur Fox were at that time then later a chap called John Liversedge took jacks job

A Company of yester year that i have not seen mentioned or rather that i have not found yet —CLUGSTONS from Scunthorpe area i believe .

They used to deliver Cement slag to us out of Frodingham with blower tankers when constructing Didcot power station late 60s time - toshboy

toshboy:
A Company of yester year that i have not seen mentioned or rather that i have not found yet —CLUGSTONS from Scunthorpe area i believe .

They used to deliver Cement slag to us out of Frodingham with blower tankers when constructing Didcot power station late 60s time - toshboy

Clugstons had their own road surfacing gangs and supplied tarmac made from steel slag, they had a plant at Sheepbridge in Chesterfield for many years. I think that Tarmac took them over?

Pete.

windrush:

toshboy:

Clugstons had their own road surfacing gangs and supplied tarmac made from steel slag, they had a plant at Sheepbridge in Chesterfield for many years. I think that Tarmac took them over?

Pete.

Pic from the fleet of Colvilles, Clugston & Shanks NMP

CCS.jpg

windrush:

toshboy:

Pete.

reference Clugstons theyre still on the go,Renault dealership in Scunthorpe and a sizeable fleet still,with flats on steel,bulk powders and petroleum tankers

Newcastle Mosley Street around 1970.

lots of people pics 008.JPG

Sorry wrong thread. Larry.

Cawthorn & Sinclair.

Click on pages twice to read.

Photo 1.

Photo.2.

This photo of Suttons brings back so many memories for me. The best one being the day I was about 12 years old and came out of Greenwell School on Beacon Lough Road to find my late dad and John Merritt waiting outside. They gave me a lift home and I was so excited. It was an eight wheel Atkinson with a drag, they were shunters for Suttons for a while in the North East. I bumped into John a few ago when he must have been in his late 70’s and he was still driving coaches on the continent.

Ray Brown:
This photo of Suttons brings back so many memories for me. The best one being the day I was about 12 years old and came out of Greenwell School on Beacon Lough Road to find my late dad and John Merritt waiting outside. They gave me a lift home and I was so excited. It was an eight wheel Atkinson with a drag, they were shunters for Suttons for a while in the North East. I bumped into John a few ago when he must have been in his late 70’s and he was still driving coaches on the continent.

Hi Ray, John Merritt was a great help to me in my early days on the road as a coach driver,
at the time he worked for Hall Bros/ Bartons based in Hebburn. He was part of the " Three Musketeers" at Halls, along with Noel Gandy and Danny Stewart. I kept in touch with him for quite a few years and often went out for a beer with John and Noel. I was only a part time driver for Halls/ Bartons, as I also had a full time job driving a lorry, but those lads treated me as one of there own. Which was normal for anyone entering our industry at the time, as long as you weren’t a smart arse/ know all you were welcome and helped. Regards Kev.

kevmac47:

Ray Brown:

Hi Ray, John Merritt was a great help to me in my early days on the road as a coach driver,
at the time he worked for Hall Bros/ Bartons based in Hebburn. He was part of the " Three Musketeers" at Halls, along with Noel Gandy and Danny Stewart. I kept in touch with him for quite a few years and often went out for a beer with John and Noel. I was only a part time driver for Halls/ Bar saidtons, as I also had a full time job driving a lorry, but those lads treated me as one of there own. Which was normal for anyone entering our industry at the time, as long as you weren’t a smart arse/ know all you were welcome and helped. Regards Kev.

Well said Kev, It takes me back to my younger days working with Parky Denhom at Baxters in th 50s, Happy days, Larry.