Old North East haulage companies (Part 1)

Ray Brown:
A few more tidy motors!

Ray, Nichols’ depot has been taken over by another haulier, can’t get moved on the road outside for their trailers parked all over the place on the yellow lines. I don’t know they get away with it, I can’t see the scrapman next door being happy with the situation. Regards Kev.

kevmac47:

Ray Brown:
A few more tidy motors!

Ray, Nichols’ depot has been taken over by another haulier, can’t get moved on the road outside for their trailers parked all over the place on the yellow lines. I don’t know they get away with it, I can’t see the scrapman next door being happy with the situation. Regards Kev.

Kev, that’s interesting I haven’t been passed there for a while but can imagine the chaos. I was aware that years ago the family rented space out in the yard? Talking about Romney’s scrap yard, straight opposite was Douglas Brothers who Harry Nichol bought out and alongside Tommy Henderson used to park his tipper there for years.

Ray Brown:

kevmac47:

Ray Brown:
A few more tidy motors!

Kev, that’s interesting I haven’t been passed there for a while but can imagine the chaos. I was aware that years ago the family rented space out in the yard? Talking about Romney’s scrap yard, straight opposite was Douglas Brothers who Harry Nichol bought out and alongside Tommy Henderson used to park his tipper there for years.
[/quote]
Remember in the sixties when Tommy Henderson and his wife owned a little general dealers at the top of Sherriff Hill on the corner of Church Road. At the time he had an AEC 4 wheeler and parked it on the bit of spare land next to the shop, he then got a new Scammell eight wheeler and then moved onto a Volvlo (FL i think) with a sleeper cab. Got most of his work out of the Tilcon marine gravel quay on South Shore Rd. where I think Harry got a fair bit of work as well.

Talking about the H Nichol yard I think it has been developed into a mini ind est with the sheds rented out to various businesses. Not sure if young Henry is still in charge or a younger member of the family ■■

Tyneside

tyneside:

Ray Brown:

kevmac47:

Ray Brown:
A few more tidy motors!

Remember in the sixties when Tommy Henderson and his wife owned a little general dealers at the top of Sherriff Hill on the corner of Church Road. At the time he had an AEC 4 wheeler and parked it on the bit of spare land next to the shop, he then got a new Scammell eight wheeler and then moved onto a Volvlo (FL i think) with a sleeper cab. Got most of his work out of the Tilcon marine gravel quay on South Shore Rd. where I think Harry got a fair bit of work as well.

Talking about the H Nichol yard I think it has been developed into a mini ind est with the sheds rented out to various businesses. Not sure if young Henry is still in charge or a younger member of the family ■■

Tyneside
[/quote]
Hi Tyneside, I remember Tommy’s shop very well. In the late sixties I used to deliver the pre packed coal there and Tommy always quizzed me about Harry’s business. He told me he was fed up with the shop and wanted to buy his own wagon, think he had a four wheeler Volvo. He ran an eight wheel Volvo for years,always a pleasure to talk to him. I remember a shop further down the bank owned by Mark Faldon where he made Pease Pudding. When I worked for Crow’s I used to deliver the split peas there off the trunk motors with a 30cwt van. Faldon moved next to McGoverns brickyard and opened the pease pudding factory ( the building and the brick yard are now up for sale).
Joe Daglish bought Douglas’s yard off Harry, he had one Bedford tipper on hire to Gateshead Council for years.
Your right about Tilcon, Harry rented half of his yard to them for storing sand and gravel etc. Did you know that Harry had a dock built at the bottom of his yard so ships could deliver coal? As far as I know the family still have the yard.

Frankydobo:
Not sure if I’ve put these on before but seeing as there are some Fergies of Blyth on I’ll stick some Sunderland motors on, last one is me at the Sunderland Business Park when they were building it, previous were in Rolls Royce factory and at Hartlepool Steel Works. Didn’t realise Ferguson had GUY Big J’s, never seen a pic of one, I’ve got a model GUY to build and was looking for a Northeast livery to do. Lets have more fellas, those Ryton pics were great too. Cheers Franky.

Dear god franky , flashback to 90s the motors look even more ■■■■■ than they actually were,canny bunch of lads , ■■■■■ money , and a transport manager that hated anyone with half a brain who wud tell him to do one , absolute nutter,hope yA well franky ,john Armstrong

Hya John ok here mate, yeah great lads and not a bad company but as you say the gaffer was hard work nearly as bad as that FL7 I had, I preferred the Merc even though it wasn’t a full sleeper. Take care bud. Franky.

I can remember the late Harry Peverley driving a 6 wheel Merc Unit at Blyth Depot. Larry.

Tom Henderson worked out of Deniffs Marine Gravel plant at Gateshead, He ran a 4 wheel AEC Tipper, Then he as you say got a Scammell with a Gardner engine, We loaded fire clay at Brancepeth Coll. for a brick yard in Brierly Hill, Then to Anglesea and load black dust for the Alcan works at Lynemouth, this was 1976. Larry.

One of my favourite models out of my collection.

Thanks for posting the Smiles for Miles Model… Isaac Smiles was my late great uncle, My grandfathers younger brother, I drove , RJR 349 0ne of the five Mk 5 AEC,s that they had in 1960, Smiles for Miles was a firm started in the 20s, I have in fact got the MK 5 model along with the Smiles for Miles photos, Larry.

Couple of shots of John Scott & Sons, merged into the Bowey Group in the 1970’s

Tyneside

Few more odds & sods

Tyneside

Some public transport in the NE

TYneside

South Shields Electric Bus No.1 1914.jpg

Harry Nichol gave me all these photographs and asked me to post them a few years ago, sadly I didn’t get round to it before he passed away. My son Neil is on the first photo aged about 12 (now 44). He shared the same passion for motors at the time.

37C43BA7-8C3D-44A6-86FF-A2F8DFF0B281.jpeg

Great photos Ray!

Love the mirrors on the TK

I had two of those huge mirrors on a new Foden S80 in 1973 they were dangerous especially the right hand side one which created a very large blind spot especially when negotiating roundabouts. I changed them for smaller 10 x 5 inch ones.
Cheers Leyland 600.

Fifty years between the first two photos of John Crows Humber and my Lexus parked in the same place outside St Mary’s Church Oakwell Gate. I still have the same number plate on my current car.

The next old photo of The Crystal Palace pub shows a trailer on the left under the bridge, could it be Crows or Phillips?
On the right is the rear of a truck going up to Jennings Scrapyard.

Another couple of photos of Harry’s trucks too.

3E03A196-E19C-470C-8A1F-D868E23F220B.jpeg

E7CF8EA5-8899-4DDD-A184-8531066E957E.jpeg

Great picture of my old Davidson Adamson DAF, reg no.SGR 690V the nickname on the doos was “Washington Waster”, i picked it up from Brian Sharps brand new & had it for about 18 months. It never had any 2300 badges on it & if it went wrong it had to go back to Sharps for them to sort it, we think it was one the first 2500s to go on the road because the lads at wendell with the 2300s couldn’t keep up with it, overall i enjoyed my time with it.

19236E34-E5D5-45E9-8608-201581B64AE4_4_5005_c.jpeg

3F62985C-BBC6-43CF-B748-3EFA93540A5D_4_5005_c.jpeg

Interesting, Buzzer