Old North East haulage companies (Part 1)

Arthur page Consett coal merchant

Joseph page Consett coal merchant

Joseph page Consett coal merchant also a member of the Bedford drivers club

Joseph page coal merchant Blackhill today,now run by his son Anthony.

Joseph page Blackhill Consett taking part in the demolition of Consett steel works with his Bedford and Leyland trucks

paulycats:

Bearpark Colliery 1966. Anyone remember the colours of the NCB autobaggers at this time?

When i worked at Adams & Gibbons (Claypath,Durham, mid to late 70’s) we used to tare the new commercials off on the Bearpark weighbridge before licensing at County Hall. Those bloody queues for new registrations were frustrating to say the least!

I’ve seen an autobagger in Seaham a couple of times lately, can’t remember whose it is?

Supplied Bedford TK/TM’s to a couple of coal merchants…Tommy Hardy (Carville) and Tommy Lawson (Ferryhill) The latter had a border collie who was very welcoming when entering the yard but the bugger would’nt let you leave!

You remind me of the waiting at the taxation office at County Hall. The thing was they were so unpleasant as well, making no effort to speed up.

That DAF 6 wheeler belonging to Arthur Page was brought to our yard when it was brand new by Maurice Garnett the salesman. He was enroute from the dealership on Teeside to Arthurs yard at Blackhill and called in to show us as we were considering buying a DAF at the time. After a few minutes conversation he mentioned he thought he didn’t have enough diesel in the tank to get him up to Blackhill so knowing Arthur quite well and taking pity on Maurice we let him a five gallons to get him on his way.
We went on to buy a DAF a few months later but regretted it. (long story)

Tyneside

does anyone remember or have some pics of TSF haulage from Bowburn/ Durham area, seem to think they had light green Scania 81,s.

tyneside:
That DAF 6 wheeler belonging to Arthur Page was brought to our yard when it was brand new by Maurice Garnett the salesman. He was enroute from the dealership on Teeside to Arthurs yard at Blackhill and called in to show us as we were considering buying a DAF at the time. After a few minutes conversation he mentioned he thought he didn’t have enough diesel in the tank to get him up to Blackhill so knowing Arthur quite well and taking pity on Maurice we let him a five gallons to get him on his way.
We went on to buy a DAF a few months later but regretted it. (long story)

Tyneside

Maurice Garnett that’s a blast from way back ,proper spiv, i am sure he had a house in our yard at Davison Adamsons,he was there more than me.

Arthur page ERF8 wheeler

IMG_3186.JPG

A few more from my collection.

22A2A86A-7417-42EF-A508-59151F308003.jpeg

The firm ran a couple of four wheelers on long distance work too, Larry.