Old North East haulage companies (Part 1)

tyneside:
“DEANB” Sunderland buses 1959.

Hi Dean. Great article and photos of Philli Bus Depot, thanks for posting.

Before we married my wife lived just around the corner with her parents.

The buildings are still there but no longer used as a bus depot. A local tyre company has the bottom two bays but the rest of the buildings and the office block are empty and virtually derelict.

I understand that houses are soon to built on the large plot of land just below there that used to be the NCB Phillidelphia Complex, which was a large repair and engineering centre for the coal board.

I think the bus sheds will eventually end up with the same fate.

Tyneside

Glad you liked it chap. :wink:

tyneside:

DEANB:
Sunderland buses 1959.

Click on twice to read.

Hi Dean. Great article and photos of Philli Bus Depot, thanks for posting.

Before we married my wife lived just around the corner with her parents.

The buildings are still there but no longer used as a bus depot. A local tyre company has the bottom two bays but the rest of the buildings and the office block are empty and virtually derelict.

Sad isn’t it. Progress? Although I never visited I drove past many times and I often travelled from School at Durham home to Spennymoor on Sunderland & Dist buses on no 57 service (Sunderland to Bishop Auckland) When I say progress, one thing is certain there are no busses today in North East maintained to Sunderland and District standards & I always enjoyed travelling on them rather than the sister Company’s (Northern) busses or the scrap heaps run by United that shared that service.
I understand that houses are soon to built on the large plot of land just below there that used to be the NCB Phillidelphia Complex, which was a large repair and engineering centre for the coal board.

I think the bus sheds will eventually end up with the same fate.

Tyneside

"When I say progress, one thing is certain there are no busses today in North East maintained to Sunderland and District standards "
Carl
You might be interested in this excellent video, the second half of which, is all about the maintaining and overhauling Sunderland
Corporation Buses back in the 50s. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ayT0f9UHQyY

old 67:
"When I say progress, one thing is certain there are no busses today in North East maintained to Sunderland and District standards "
Carl
You might be interested in this excellent video, the second half of which, is all about the maintaining and overhauling Sunderland
Corporation Buses back in the 50s. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ayT0f9UHQyY

Love the Hann&Newby tipper crossing the Wearmouth bridge
Possibly a Bedford ?

Greetings All.
Ref. the lorry alongside the Binns tram,it is a Ford Thames.Engine,either a V8 3.7 petrol side valve or a 4D diesel.
Stay safe folks,regards,900x20.

Gateshead 1956.

Click on pages twice to read.

Great photos Dean :slight_smile:

DEANB:
Gateshead 1956.

Click on pages twice to read.

Another excellent article Dean!! In the 70’s & 80’s we had a couple of 7.5 ton TK’s on very near permanent hire to Gateshead Council, usually working with the tarmac patching gangs.

At the same time Gateshead did a lot of it’s own house building and road construction and we would sometimes have as many as 15 x 6 wheelers on day hire around the various sites.

Tyneside

Very interesting articles, Dean. Good to read that the workshops did everything ‘in house’ as it was with bus companies years ago.

Yeah there were some cracking looking old motors in that article. :wink:

One from your way.

A couple of stylish bus recovery vehicles. The Western SMT Guy could have been cut down from a decker.
The other vehicle looks like it’s built on an AEC Matador chassis. Probably both built in the company workshops.

Lawrence Dunbar:

Single drive or double Larry ? Hope you and yours are all well ! Regards Dennis.

Hi, Its a double drive Dennis, And mine is a double Glenmorangie :smiley: , Im ok but my good lady has nasty health issues, Shingles has her confined to her room until it subsides, But she is a very strong old lady and will get well in due course, Take care & stay safe my friend, Regards Larry.

Lawrence Dunbar:
Hi, Its a double drive Dennis, And mine is a double Glenmorangie :smiley: , Im ok but my good lady has nasty health issues, Shingles has her confined to her room until it subsides, But she is a very strong old lady and will get well in due course, Take care & stay safe my friend, Regards Larry.

Sorry to hear that your Good Lady is unwell and it wont be too long for her to make a recovery from her current ailment ! but as long you are both steering clear of the Covid with the help of the two jabs of course. There’s talk we will have to have a booster in the autumn but in the meantime I’m working my way through a bottle of Glenfiddich ! Regards to you both Dennis.

Lawrence Dunbar
Good morning Larry,
Would you have any idea who the Stamp Foden operated with in the Bristol area before finding it’s way to your neck of the woods ?. Also interesting to see a photo of you and to be able to put a face to a name.
Regards and keep safe, Allan

Clan Crusader Factory reception area, Washington sometime in the very early seventies

Tyneside

Few more Tyneside