Old North East haulage companies (Part 1)

Dean, I drove an two identical Commers for two different companies 1962 & 1963.
Cheers, Leyland 600.

Leyland600:
Dean, I drove an two identical Commers for two different companies 1962 & 1963.
Cheers, Leyland 600.

First truck i ever went in as a kid was a Commer. My grandad had 2 after trading in 2 Thames Traders. :wink:

Few more from the area Tyneside

26804357_615301518841089_3398829160062835909_n.jpg

couple more Tyneside

Some good old pics again Tyneside, I could just make out the Albion badge above the lower grille on the tipper when I adjusted the brilliance, wonder if that was an Alfie Ellis AEC under the bridge it did seem to have the simple metal plate headboard with the name on that we used. Still to come across an Ellis motor photo on the site they seem to be like hen’s teeth. Franky.

Tyneside RGR 41 was an AEC Reliance with Willowbrook bodywork Sunderland Corporation No 41. New in July 1961.
Chees Leyland 600

Walker Trailers 1965.

Click on twice to read.

DEANB:
Walker Trailers 1965.

Click on twice to read.

I remember Tony Walker so well. One time he told me to put a yellow cross on our car park & he’d come with his helicopter to collect me to take me over to Thornaby to see something he had in. ‘Don’t worry, I’ll come by car’ I did even when I had no wish to to save the worry of having to fly with him in his helicopter
He told me how he used to nip down to London & back in his 6.3 litre Mercedes averaging 130 mile per hour The police couldn’t catch him he claimed as even if they saw him pass from a bridge over the road by the time they got a police car out he’d be passed the next.So I travelling to see him was the safest option as if he came to collect me with his car might have been more dangerous than the copter.
He always has a new Rolls Royce, Mercedes & helicopter up for sale as he continually had new ones ordered.

214953928_144306861107406_1887585460638560903_n.jpg

Few more from the NE Tyneside

Leyland Tiger Cub with Saunders Roe body built in Anglesey was new to SDO then transfered to the Northern fleet a few years later. Yes the Tynesider decker does qualify for the award. The Tyneside Tramways Leyland PD3/4 with MCW Orion bodywork new 1958 always kept immaculate in their green and ivory livery and looks digified and ready to do its job reliably on its regular route from Newcastle Croft St to the top of Borough Bank, North Shields.
Cheers Leyland 600.

Boyes Consett depot

F & F Robinson from 1968.

Click on twice to read.

Another local colliery, Thrislington (also known as West Cornforth) 4 tippers, can’t remember a Brown? No registrations visible. Colliery closed in1967 so i’m guessing 65/66?

paulycats:
0Another local colliery, Thrislington (also known as West Cornforth) 4 tippers, can’t remember a Brown? No registrations visible. Colliery closed in1967 so i’m guessing 65/66?

I think it would be Syd Brown who operated from Newfield and probably by that time had been taken over by Golightly Group. Syd was apparently a real character who could neither read or write but it was said could look a a slag heap and tell you almost exactly how many tipper loads it would take to move it.

Happy Birthday Larry Dunbar, Regards Kev. :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

kevmac47:
Happy Birthday Larry Dunbar, Regards Kev. :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

I’ll second that , Happy Birthday Larry , and many more to come .

Thank you Kev, Larry. :smiley:

Thank you too Rigsby. Larry :smiley:

Hi Larry Hope you have a great day all the best Ray.p.s I’ll have a wee dram for you :smiley: