Old North East haulage companies (Part 1)

Another shot of the Felling By pass under construction, could be one of Walkers Bros Bedfords.

Tyneside

Tuckers Brewery, bottom of Gateshead High St 1965, I think that could be an Albion but not sure who it belongs to.
Tyneside

Tuckers 1965.jpg

Showmen from the early 1900’s, the notes were on the back of the photo.

Site of the Metro Centre, used to be the fly ash lagoons for Dunston Power Station in the background, Western By pass in the centre, on the left is the edge of the Open Cast Coal stocking site.
Lost a 22RB excavator on the fly ash one week end in the seventies, there was no bottom to the area and then they built a shopping centre on it !!!
Tyneside

HI Tyneside, Thats a blast from the past, I remember Ogdens of Otley moving the fly ash from both N & S Stella Power Grids, Then in the 70s I was loading it & taking it to Cannon Park Middlesboro, T .James had the job, Regards Larry.

Hi Tyneside, a Newcastle Corporation trolley bus, a SDO (Sunderland & District) Leyland Tiger Cub, a Northern AEC Regent front entrance similar to the one in your previous posting, a Gateshead Omnibus Co Guy Arab, a United Bristol KSW lowbridge, sister bus PHN 812 operated in Carlisle for a while on city services to Botcherby and a Sunderland Corpotation Daimler Fleetline.
Cheers, Leyland 600.

Leyland600:
Hi Tyneside, a Newcastle Corporation trolley bus, a SDO (Sunderland & District) Leyland Tiger Cub, a Northern AEC Regent front entrance similar to the one in your previous posting, a Gateshead Omnibus Co Guy Arab, a United Bristol KSW lowbridge, sister bus PHN 812 operated in Carlisle for a while on city services to Botcherby and a Sunderland Corpotation Daimler Fleetline.
Cheers, Leyland 600.

Hi Leyland 600. Thanks for all the extra info, the old buses from the 50’s 60’s that I grew up with seemd to all have their own character.

Tyneside

Lawrence Dunbar:
HI Tyneside, Thats a blast from the past, I remember Ogdens of Otley moving the fly ash from both N & S Stella Power Grids, Then in the 70s I was loading it & taking it to Cannon Park Middlesboro, T .James had the job, Regards Larry.

Hi Larry IIRC Ogdens had two or three Albion 4 wheelers specifically for leading the fly ash.

Going back to the Metro Centre site, we did a few days on that job leading fly ash down to the A66. I remember the 22RB dragline that was loading nearly disappeared one week end, it was there on the Friday tea time but on Monday morning there was only about six feet of the jib visible the rest had been submerged in the ash, took two D8 dozers to get it out.

Previous to that time George Irwin from Dunston somehow had the rights to the ash and we used to lead it to various sites on his behalf, a lot of it going up to the large Bellway site on Fellside Road in Whickham.
George’s son used to load us with a Weatherill shovel and there was only one road on and off the lagoons, if you strayed off the road you would go down past the axles in seconds.
Wind forward a few years and we were leading ■■■■■■■■ onto the site for John Hall (before he was Sir John) The ■■■■■■■■ was pushed up into heaps dotted around the site, we were then hired to move the ■■■■■■■■ into new heaps, all done to squeeze excess water out of the land. John Hall was always there and would sign timesheets etc.

Tyneside

Yes Tyneside I to grew up with the traditional front vertical engined buses both single and double deck, very rarely did we ever see one being towed in, even after the first underfloor engines were introduced they mostly performed well. They were simple straightforward designs including the transmissions and only began to give trouble when they tried to modernise them. When did you ever see a Northern, SDO, Gateshead, Venture or a United being towed in ?
Cheers, Leyland 600.

consett steel works

Consett steel works.jpg

Few more from around the NE

Tyneside

Hi Tyneside the first bus is a Northern Guy Arab with Weymann body into service 7/1954 Gardner 5LW power followed by another Northern possibly Guy with a C.H. Roe body, then a SDO Leyland Royal Tiger then two more Northern Guy or Leylands and finally a United Bristol Lodekka. I once got the offside mirror knocked off my Foden S21 at this point on the bridge by one Murphy’s (the pipe track diggers) green tippers as he overtook me
Cheers Leyland 600.

Long serving driver Maurice Newman (RiP) in the Van Hee Ford, always kept his motors immaculate and a lovely man. I think we had three of those tippers with a donkey engine mounted on the front frame. Van Hee got good service from these Transcons even those that did the Middle East runs. My T reg was one of the last to go when the engine started knocking coming out of Armstrong’s on the Team Valley, got it back to the yard but it never got repaired, the Scania 112’s were taking their place by then. Franky.

tyneside:

Tyneside

Hi Tyneside, re the rust boxes

I always remember a story my dad told from about 1959-60. He was in Adams & Gibbons at Claypath Durham talking to Eddie Thornton who was Service Manager there Cars & Commercials (He later left in early 70s to join us) He was telling my dad ‘I don’t know what to do?’ He went on saying this chap had brought in his year old Vauxhall Victor for service and was waiting in the waiting room. He took my dad into the workshop & under the car that was up on a lift and put his finger through the bottom of the year old car which was mushy. Thornton went on to say that he was an old customer that had bought several Vauxhalls & used them for servicing over the years. Dad had gone to pick up some spares and when he came out he asked ‘How did you get on’ 'Fine he says he’s in the showroom now buying a new one. Sadly for Vauxhall not many were so forgiving & never bought another Vauxhall. Carl

Carl Williams:

tyneside:

Tyneside

Hi Tyneside, re the rust boxes

I always remember a story my dad told from about 1959-60. He was in Adams & Gibbons at Claypath Durham talking to Eddie Thornton who was Service Manager there Cars & Commercials (He later left in early 70s to join us) He was telling my dad ‘I don’t know what to do?’ He went on saying this chap had brought in his year old Vauxhall Victor for service and was waiting in the waiting room. He took my dad into the workshop & under the car that was up on a lift and put his finger through the bottom of the year old car which was mushy. Thornton went on to say that he was an old customer that had bought several Vauxhalls & used them for servicing over the years. Dad had gone to pick up some spares and when he came out he asked ‘How did you get on’ 'Fine he says he’s in the showroom now buying a new one. Sadly for Vauxhall not many were so forgiving & never bought another Vauxhall. Carl

Hi Carl

I remember my dad having several Vauxhalls in the 50’s / 60.s. IIRC a couple of Wyverns and a couple of Crestas, a Victor and a Viscount all bought from A&G at Newcastle.
Similar to what you say Dad put his finger through the wing of the Victor (I think) when it was coming up to 18 months old.

I seem to reacall hearing that Vauxhall cured some of the corrosion problems by changing the polarity of the electrics, not sure how true that is though.

Tyneside

While we are talking about Vauxhall and Bedford here is quite a smart looking TK belonging to Callers, Newcastle.
Tyneside

Consett Iron Company AEC loaded from the Billet Mill.

consett iron company AEC.jpg

Lawrence Dunbar:
I know this has been posted several times in the past, But it was my first driving job for Baxters Road Services, In 1956, Young Jonny Baxter was a real Gent, Of course so was his Father, They paid decent money & night out money, Regards Larry.

Lawrence that pic was in a Atkinson advert in 1955. (Not good quality)

Some odds & sods from around the area, some a lot older that others

Tyneside

207750965_492221228674722_3260224137660877751_n.jpg

R.Rankin & Sons Commer.

ne rakhin.PNG