Old North East haulage companies (Part 1)

keith8357:

tyneside:
Did you know Norman Stokoe that worked for D&A ■■

Tyneside

yes i knew norman & his co-host Bill Reeves great pair, then there was Stewart who worked for Geordie Barker next door but spent more time in our garage. All good crac then.

Norman came from Wrekenton and worked for us for a number of years then went to Work for Bob Nixon who had a yard at Low Fell and a half a dozen tippers.

Was Bill Reeves the TM?

I remember Stewie from Barkers, good lad, would always do a good turn for anybody! Also knew old George Barker and his son Les, George will not be around anymore but not sure if Les is still with us.

Tyneside

Saw this pic in a magazine of the Esso tanker MV Northumbria being built at Swan Hunter.

What a sight at the end of the road,mind you must have been a noisey place to live with that being built.

north east swan hunter esso northumbria.PNG.jpg

Mate sent me a couple of photo’s Blythmans of Stockton on Tees.

hi tyneside bill reeves was in charge of the workshops/paint we had fred in traffic office then trevor can’t remember there second names it was a couple of weeks ago

When we where at Pottery Lane there was John Adamson Fred TM think it was Margret doing the office work Billy Norman OLD cliffy AND myself bob, Year’s later when we where at Birtley remember it well xmas eve afternoon all the drivers on the drink in bait room i had been out on a breakdown Harry Hayter frozen fuel up Alandale.In i came in Mazda pickup big woolly hat on and Mattie Shouts up bloody hell its Benny from crossroads and the name stuck from that day.

Hi Tyneside the best crack was on saturday mornings,every friday night Norman, Billy and i think your fitter Jimmy into the Royal Oak,Billy would be first in sat and tell us how drunk Norman was the night before and trying to get in wrong house where he lived on the bank,well turned out trucks good set of lads but not nice what happened to the lads in the end.

blackbox:
Hi Tyneside the best crack was on saturday mornings,every friday night Norman, Billy and i think your fitter Jimmy into the Royal Oak,Billy would be first in sat and tell us how drunk Norman was the night before and trying to get in wrong house where he lived on the bank,well turned out trucks good set of lads but not nice what happened to the lads in the end.

That would be Jimmy Hunter, RIP. Few of our lads would get into the Royal Oak or the little Ship on Tanfield Rd corner end. Don,t suppose there is many of the names you mention still around.

I think I remember Trevor from the TO. Did he end up working for somebody in the Spennymoor area ?

Tyneside

Hi Tyneside, yes trevor ended up a t Spennymoor i could be wrong but it could have been for Peter Wendle i think. they had a couple of Macks with tipping trailers on scrap and four wheeler skip motors.Keith might remember the company.

blackbox:
Hi Tyneside, yes trevor ended up a t Spennymoor i could be wrong but it could have been for Peter Wendle i think. they had a couple of Macks with tipping trailers on scrap and four wheeler skip motors.Keith might remember the company.

Yes, it was Wendle, I remember those Macks. What year did D&A cease trading ■■

Geo Barker gets a mention but can you remember Briggs Amasco who were next door ? We ended up with a wagon / hijab on permanent hire to them. It was painted in Tarmac green.

Tyneside

Tyneside

Hi Tyneside unable to answer when D@A went bump the recession was hitting hard then and asked to take pay cut it was time to move on.Keith will have the answer’s when they started the new company up cheers.

Harry Gill! Happy Birthday “H” :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: Enjoy your day. Regards Kev.

kevmac47:
Harry Gill! Happy Birthday “H” :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: Enjoy your day. Regards Kev.

I’ll second that , Happy Birthday Harry , best wishes for a good one . Try not to sup it all at once !

Happy Birthday Harry, I wish you well. Regards Larry.

Borrowed this off dark side. Anybody remember them?

Chris Webb:
Borrowed this off dark side. Anybody remember them?

Yes Chris,if i recall correctly they either shared a yard or were tied in with a Middlesbrough builders merchant,Crossleys

Remember Teesside Carriers from later than the photo you posted, they were in the Trailer Scheme at BSC Lackenby and as joeshell says there was some tie in with the builders merchants on Teesside called Crossleys. I think Crossleys builders depot at Stockton, became part of Jewsons. Anyway a couple of pictures from Paul C Gee’s collection in their later yellow livery.

A04013p.JPG

A04014p.JPG

jshepguis:
Remember Teesside Carriers from later than the photo you posted, they were in the Trailer Scheme at BSC Lackenby and as joeshell says there was some tie in with the builders merchants on Teesside called Crossleys. I think Crossleys builders depot at Stockton, became part of Jewsons. Anyway a couple of pictures from Paul C Gee’s collection in their later yellow livery.

Crossleys had a brickyard between the A66 and Eaglescliffe, it was a regular pick for me when I worked for McGovern’s . Must be getting old, I can’t remember the exact location!! :confused: :confused: :unamused: :unamused: regards Kev.

Crossleys had a brickyard between the A66 and Eaglescliffe, it was a regular pick for me when I worked for McGovern’s . Must be getting old, I can’t remember the exact location!! :confused: :confused: :unamused: :unamused: regards Kev.
[/quote]
That would be Durham Lane one of the brickworks is now no more but Marshalls now have a yard there just before you got to the main Eaglescliffe industrial estate where Lyons Tetley’s factory was, although that is another name that is no longer there.

IIRC,They had a brickyard at Urpeth, Which was used as a Landfill site afterwards, Regards Larry.

This is a load of bricks from a brickyard at Uddingston for Mcgoverns at Felling handed to us by the late Alan Ohare who used to give us lots of returns loads Plus McGoverns Allways paid on time with the right good rates for the every load Regards Larry.