Old North East haulage companies (Part 1)

Newcastle Metro Construction from face book Tyneside

METRO 2 1.jpg

Eldon Square Shopping centre built in 1976. Showing Steetley cement mixer from Hartlepool.

Steetley cement works Hartlepool

Ravda wrote; Eldon Square Shopping centre built in 1976. Showing Steetley cement mixer from Hartlepool.

One of Walker Bros Albion Reivers too but can’t quite make out the Dodge tipper, must be a local firm I would imagine. Franky.

Borrowed off Facebook - Larry may not have seen it,one of Smile’s AEC Mk5s tipping in Gateshead. :slight_smile:

Yes I have this one, A friend of mine gave me it some time ago. The L S M Dodge tipper is one of theirs too, Thanks for posting this cracking photo of one of the good firms to work for in those days, Regards Larry.

Hi Chris, The MK 5 Would have been one of these in Braithwaites livery but owned by Smiles, Then they were put into the Smiles colours, And 6 wheel Thames Traders were in Braithwaites livery, The MK 5s were used on long distance work quite often, Regards Larry.

Old uns in Newcastle upon Tyne.
Oily

Lawrence Dunbar:
0Hi Chris, The MK 5 Would have been one of these in Braithwaites livery but owned by Smiles, Then they were put into the Smiles colours, And 6 wheel Thames Traders were in Braithwaites livery, The MK 5s were used on long distance work quite often, Regards Larry.

The MK5s were cracking wagons Larry and I remember Smiles very well. That’s a striking livery of Braithwaites. :smiley:

Mk 5 2.jpgThis is the MK 5 I had, 11.3.Engine it used to pull like a train, Regards Larry.

Here’s a publicity shot from about 1975 or 1976 taking at Filtrona (Cigarette Components) at Jarrow.

At the front are Ray Nicholson from Filtrona and Jack Mingay from Archbolds.

Behind I can recognise Frankie Dowdall, Bobby Casey, Kenny Hood, Willie Walker, Ronnie Farrell, Arthur Taylor and the last man whose name escapes me (apologies to him for that).

An AEC of Shorts on the Tyne Bridge Tyneside

F short Tyne bridge.jpg

tyneside:

Hi Tyneside, This AEC Mandator was the first one that Shorties bought, The driver Don Jonhson had it from new , Sadley he passed away some time ago, Shorties had two of these Mandators, Joe Duffy drove the F reg Dons was a E reg,Joe as far as I know now lives in Inverness, Thanks for posting this I worked for Shorties for 4 years before I became an owner driver, IIRC A lad called Alan Young came to work for them , I think he worked for your Dad at Eighton Banks, Regards Larry.

Lawrence Dunbar:

tyneside:

Hi Tyneside, This AEC Mandator was the first one that Shorties bought, The driver Don Jonhson had it from new , Sadley he passed away some time ago, Shorties had two of these Mandators, Joe Duffy drove the F reg Dons was a E reg,Joe as far as I know now lives in Inverness, Thanks for posting this I worked for Shorties for 4 years before I became an owner driver, IIRC A lad called Alan Young came to work for them , I think he worked for your Dad at Eighton Banks, Regards Larry.

Hi Lawrence
If it is the Alan Young I am thinking of that would have been early seventies, he drove a a six wheel Albion flat on distance work.
Tyneside

I recall doing some work on Shorty’s units when I worked at Hodgsons AEC Dealers, a bit later a young Apprentice started who was the son of the Foreman Fitter, I believe when he served his time he also worked at Shorts and became Foreman, nice lad but his name escapes me now. Franky.

Frankydobo:
I recall doing some work on Shorty’s units when I worked at Hodgsons AEC Dealers, a bit later a young Apprentice started who was the son of the Foreman Fitter, I believe when he served his time he also worked at Shorts and became Foreman, nice lad but his name escapes me now. Franky.

Sean Hannah?

No Tyneside it wasn’t Sean, Larry Dunbar will likely know, this was late 60’s when he was an Apprentice and I’m sure when I came out the Army 81 I heard he was Foreman, I’m not sure if he was still at Shorts when they moved to Felling before Anderson took over, possibly. Wish my memory was as good as it was back then ha! Franky.

Hi Franky, IIRC He was Arthur Fox,s son Arthur was the yard forman, His son Charlie came after Sean left, He did in fact do a bit of driving for Anderson, My late son Lawrence was still there when Andersons took over , Nigel was laid off when it looked like Shorts were going down, So I got him his first wagon, A Leyland Terrier flat, Lawrence carried on working for Anderson then he drove a tipper for the family firm, he then had his own garage at Belsay. Charlie Fox passed away IIRC Two years ago, Regards Larry.

That’s him, cheers Larry, I was going to say I thought it was Charlie but wasn’t 100%, now I recall at the time it seemed an old name for a young lad, sorry to hear he’s not with us we got on well. Franky.

tyneside:

Lawrence Dunbar:

tyneside:

Hi Lawrence
If it is the Alan Young I am thinking of that would have been early seventies, he drove a a six wheel Albion flat on distance work.
Tyneside

Hi Tyneside, Thats him, He ended up driving for Murray Hogg, I havent seen him for a long time though, Perhaps he might turn up at The Drivers Bash in the Labour Club on the 28th Dec, It would be nice to see you there too, Regards Larry.