Old North East haulage companies (Part 1)

The first one snapped at Dingwall 2014, the others at Leeming Bar earlier this year.
Oily

Old North East Haulage company W.M.Mcgovern of Felling.

W.M.Mcgovern Felling

W.M.Mcgovern Felling.

Both my Dad and Billy McGovern were members of the Felling Rotary and I met him a few times when I was a teen at various charity functions. Canny fella, used to have an American car, but I can’t remember what make. He once told me the method for homemade petrol that he used when fuel was strictly rationed in WW2 but like his car I can’t remember what it was.
Tyneside

Few odds and sods from the North East not my pictures Apologies if some of them have been on before Tyneside

20191025_052206946_iOS (2).jpeg

Couple more from the NE

tyneside:
Couple more from the NE

Hi Tyneside,
Is Westmorland Road Adams & Gibbons the showroom that had parking on the roof? If so I always wondered what it was like. In those days they were Daimler agents as well as Vauxhall, before Jaguar acquired them in the Lord & Lady Docker days. I remember my grandfather was considering buying a new Daimler that they had in stock, and was surprised as it was on the roof and he didn’t know they had cars up there. In my lifetime or memory time we dealt with Clayton Street Durham, where in my early driving days I used to go to almost every day. Occasionally we had to go to Dunn Street or Sunderland which was near the Empire Theatre, and in the later days Hebburn Gardens Felling. They seemed such a large company I never thought they would disappear.

Watson’s Bedford is a rare sight today. They had so many running round the North East or more often than enough parked in the transport café at Chester Moor Chester Le Street anytime after 2.30 on an afternoon, waiting to return at end of day to Spennymoor at 5.00Pm. We used to laugh at how blind the management were to allow this as they made no effort to hide, but it was part of Tay-Forth group so I suppose no-one gave a ■■■■.

Carl

Carl Williams:

tyneside:
Couple more from the NE

Hi Tyneside,
Is Westmorland Road Adams & Gibbons the showroom that had parking on the roof? If so I always wondered what it was like. In those days they were Daimler agents as well as Vauxhall, before Jaguar acquired them in the Lord & Lady Docker days. I remember my grandfather was considering buying a new Daimler that they had in stock, and was surprised as it was on the roof and he didn’t know they had cars up there. In my lifetime or memory time we dealt with Clayton Street Durham, where in my early driving days I used to go to almost every day. Occasionally we had to go to Dunn Street or Sunderland which was near the Empire Theatre, and in the later days Hebburn Gardens Felling. They seemed such a large company I never thought they would disappear.

Watson’s Bedford is a rare sight today. They had so many running round the North East or more often than enough parked in the transport café at Chester Moor Chester Le Street anytime after 2.30 on an afternoon, waiting to return at end of day to Spennymoor at 5.00Pm. We used to laugh at how blind the management were to allow this as they made no effort to hide, but it was part of Tay-Forth group so I suppose no-one gave a ■■■■.

Carl

Hi Carl Not sure about the roof parking. Don’t think I was ever in the Westmoreland Road A&G. As you know the commercial spares were obtained at Dunn St. and although my Dad had several Vauxhall cars they were always bought via George Dodds who was salesman at Dunn St and then Felling.

Tyneside

Another Vauxhall dealer from consett.JS Robson

7a61f0bf098c80f0b134a3c5a5e86513.jpg

ravda:

Used to get our tipper bodies built at Northern Assemblies which was owned by J S Robson

Tyneside

tyneside:

ravda:

Used to get our tipper bodies built at Northern Assemblies which was owned by J S Robson

Tyneside

Hi Tyneside, Thanks for posting these old photos, My Late Uncle Isaac Smiles used to get tipper bodies from Robsons On their 6 Wheeler Dodges & some of their 4 wheelers Regards Larry…

tyneside:

ravda:

Tyneside

Northern Assemblies built 16 Luton bodies on Bedford TKs between 1961-64 for Tom Liddle T.T. Liddle Stanley They built excellent bodies unlike Adams & Gibbon who, when they had their own body-shop & built crap, often raining in & falling to bits

Couple of f.book not my pictures. Tyneside

Spot on Tyneside, 40 Bond Hanover Street, Ive loaded there many times in the 50/60s, You allways had to be facing the Tyne when loading because of the steep drop in the road down to the Close, Thanks for posting this, Regards Larry.

tyneside:

Hiya,
Wish I’d a shilling for every case of booze I’ve handballed through that
bonded door and it was usually raining when I did the job.

harry_gill:

tyneside:

Hiya,
Wish I’d a shilling for every case of booze I’ve handballed through that
bonded door and it was usually raining when I did the job.

Harry it nearley allways rained, But at least we got loaded, If we had been at 17shed waiting to load Danish Canned Goods we would be going back the next day, Of course we were totaly waterproof, But the dockers loved the wet weather The ■■■■■■ Regards Larry.

Here’s one for Larry Geo. Blackett KM loading demolition rubble. H&S would have a fit if they saw the driver on top like that these days.
Tyneside

KM%20GEO%20BLACKETT.jpg

Lawrence Dunbar:
Spot on Tyneside, 40 Bond Hanover Street, Ive loaded there many times in the 50/60s, You allways had to be facing the Tyne when loading because of the steep drop in the road down to the Close, Thanks for posting this, Regards Larry.

Was his near Cut Bank? i used to back load butter and whatever from Rankins there(i worked for Rankins Middlesbrough at the time,and whilst on the subject is there any photos of it on here(Cut bank that is!)

joeshell:

Lawrence Dunbar:

Was his near Cut Bank? i used to back load butter and whatever from Rankins there(i worked for Rankins Middlesbrough at the time,and whilst on the subject is there any photos of it on here(Cut bank that is!)

Hanover St is off the Quayside just to the west of the Tyne Bridge, think it mostly apartments now. Cut Bank is east of the Tyne Bridge and runs between City Road and Shields Rd (Byker) Not sure if there any pictures on here but Google earth certainly been there.

Tyneside