Old North East haulage companies (Part 1)

F Harrison of Frosterley had 4772 PT an S21 cabbed 8 wheeler plus another but I do not know the number, this could possible be the one.
Cheers Leyland 600

Leyland600:
F Harrison of Frosterley had 4772 PT an S21 cabbed 8 wheeler plus another but I do not know the number, this could possible be the one.
heers Leyland 600

You could be right “Leyland600”, There is some photos on this thread of Harrisons Fodens IIRC, Regards Larry.

Red Row 2017 001.JPGIts Red Row Vintage Rally this weekend a two day event, Cars,Wagons, Steam Engines plus lots more, Im taking my MG, hopefully the weather will be good Regards Larry.

2293PT, in the photo above, was an ex-ICI vehicle and it was originally fitted with a pressurised tank unit for carrying carbon dioxide. It was in a write up in Truck and Driver in the late 80s. Original colours was dark green/blue with a white tank.

It was up for sale on eBay a few months ago in the same colours as in the photo but looking a little worse for wear.

Cheers,
Darren.

larry is that john Nixon any relation to the Nixon that had them lorries that was on the meat out of manners slaughter house burradon. bumper

I reckon Larry will be in the beer tent at Red Row now “poncing” drams off all his admirers. Anon 1. :wink: :open_mouth: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

bumper:
larry is that john Nixon any relation to the Nixon that had them lorries that was on the meat out of manners slaughter house burradon. bumper

Hi Bumper, This lad hails from Ninebanks as far as I know, I knew the Nixons from Wideopen who had wagons IIRC Their daughter Ruby was married to a fellow from Burradon called Will Sargent he had a Bedford A Model with a insulated box that he used to lift off to do other flat work. Regards Larry.

Leyland600:
Good photos of the cab interior servo, is the light blue paint to match the drivers face ,hands and feet in winter ? makes me feel cold just looking at the photos. The S21 Foden I operated was so cold there was more ice on the inside of the cab that outside and like a greenhouse in summer. A good old motor despite the climate control settings. ( a bag on the radiator grill)
Cheers, Leyland 600

IIRC,the light blue colour of the cab interior is the natural colour of the fibreglass that the cab was fabricated from,or so I recall from my early days as 2nd man on a Foden ballast unit.

David

015.JPG

paulycats:
Just to recall the main haulier off Hartlepool beach. This was accessed thro’ a small tunnel under the H’pool to S’land train line at the most Easterly point of the A1049 (roundabout) How on earth wagons were driven thro’ there? The tunnel seems VERY small now! (now closed off)
Anyway, it was J.Burdon and Son’s, cream coloured (Bedford’s mostly) with green trim? Two of their driver’s, Ray Knight (senior) and Stan Wilson went on to drive for RMC at Ryhope (coast road site) and probably the RMC plant in Warden Law. (we think Ray Knight jnr may still be driving for LDS transport Seaham?
I thought J.Burdon and Sons was a Hartlepool based firm but maybe not?

Even as a young un’ back in the 60’s, i can remember this outfit. Wagons were always clean.

Hi Paulycats Where is the entrance to Eppleton Quarry now ■■?

paulycats:

paulycats:
Just to recall the main haulier off Hartlepool beach. This was accessed thro’ a small tunnel under the H’pool to S’land train line at the most Easterly point of the A1049 (roundabout) How on earth wagons were driven thro’ there? The tunnel seems VERY small now! (now closed off)
Anyway, it was J.Burdon and Son’s, cream coloured (Bedford’s mostly) with green trim? Two of their driver’s, Ray Knight (senior) and Stan Wilson went on to drive for RMC at Ryhope (coast road site) and probably the RMC plant in Warden Law. (we think Ray Knight jnr may still be driving for LDS transport Seaham?
I thought J.Burdon and Sons was a Hartlepool based firm but maybe not?

I used to use that tunnel with a Super Comet to access the Steetley plant. (Late 60s). Regards Kev.

tyneside:

Hi “tyneside” Did this Eppleton Quarry belong to Barnes from Boldon at one time, :question: Regards Larry.

Lawrence Dunbar:

tyneside:

Hi “tyneside” Did this Eppleton Quarry belong to Barnes from Boldon at one time, :question: Regards Larry.

Hi Larry. Presume it is the same one but that was early 90,s and then access was through the houses off the main Hetton Road. Looking at those pictures it looks like access is now off Hetton Moor somewhere. Paulycats will probably know better.

Tyneside

tyneside:

Lawrence Dunbar:

tyneside:

Hi Larry. Presume it is the same one but that was early 90,s and then access was through the houses off the main Hetton Road. Looking at those pictures it looks like access is now off Hetton Moor somewhere. Paulycats will probably know better.

Tyneside

Yes when we used to load yellow building sand the entrance was on the left & IIRC There was a hairdressers salon on the corner, This was in the 80s, It was a bit odd that the Sand was so near to the Colliery that produced black coal & the Sand was Yellow :exclamation: :exclamation: :exclamation: Regards Larry.

tyneside:

It’s on the Houghton to Seaham road, next to Houghton Golf Club, just up and over, past The Copt Hill pub (which is up for sale again by the way)
The access road must be the best part of a mile into the quarry, obviously had to redirect(away from Hetton/Eppleton) because of the volume of traffic.

Regards Paulycats

3 local quarries have changed ownership. Raisby at Coxhoe, Sherburn Stone at Throston Grange (Hartlepool) and Sherburn Stone at Sherburn Hill (Crime Rigg) as below.
Hopefully i’ll get round them all shortly.

022.JPG