Old North East haulage companies (Part 1)

With thanks to Richard Says.
Oily

NE  (1).jpg

NE  (4).jpg

Well known name still up in Houghton.Don’t know the present occupier?

Another well remembered tipper outfit still going, albeit with a name change. Having a no doubt well earned rest in their yard at Seaham docks. Part of the LDS fleet or otherwise remembered as Thomas of Seaham.

Hi Larry there’s a big debate on Facebook about the load on this motor I’m saying foundry coke but many are saying sugar beat hope you can help…

daveymk:
Hi Larry there’s a big debate on Facebook about the load on this motor I’m saying foundry coke but many are saying sugar beat hope you can help…

Hi “daveymk” Its defo coke , Loaded from Norwood Plant bound for Melton Mowbray , Driven by the Late Jimmy Trotter one of Smilers long serving drivers, Nice to hear from you again , Regards Larry.

A fine photo of this 1942/3 Dennis, Most likley ex BRS, Regards Larry.

Lawrence Dunbar:

daveymk:

Hi “daveymk” Its defo coke , Loaded from Norwood Plant bound for Melton Mowbray , Driven by the Late Jimmy Trotter one of Smilers long serving drivers, Nice to hear from you again , Regards Larry.

Cheers Larry thought I’d get the answer off you do you mind if I share that info on Facebook…

daveymk:

Lawrence Dunbar:

daveymk:

Cheers Larry thought I’d get the answer off you do you mind if I share that info on Facebook…

Thats fine by me Daveymk, It will put those ones right who said It was sugar beet, Regards Larry.

daveymk:

Lawrence Dunbar:

daveymk:

Another quick one Larry would you no the weight on it ■■

daveymk:

daveymk:

Lawrence Dunbar:

daveymk:

Another quick one Larry would you no the weight on it ■■

14 ton as it tared off at 10 ton, At 24 ton Gross in those days, It was a Ex Hansons motor from Wakefield with a 150 Gardner engine & a 6 speed David Brown gearbox, & IIRC They used to get 12 mpg, Regards Larry.

Cheers Larry ask the right people get the right answers respect to you…

No longer on the go now, :frowning: :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile: - :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

Sad to hear of Smiles Engineering finishing- I remember them when they were in Morden Street(off Percy St.) before moving to St.Lawrence Rd., then, I believe to Brunswick Industrial Estate. I think recently they were doing some work for Arriva on regenerative flywheels, or fans?
Other companies in and around Newcastle now long gone, which some may remember,-- Associated Engineering Services, Gallowgate (Engine parts),
Auto Pistons, Stowell St.,(Engine parts) Autela Components, Lord St.(Brakes,clutches steering parts, etc, etc) Gaedor,Carliol Square,then moved to Lord St.(Auto. electrical parts) AE Edmunds Walker. Blandford St.(Brakes, clutches, steering parts etc. etc.) They also had a depot off Fossway.
Simms Motor Units, Falconer St. (Auto. Electrics). Joseph Lucas electrics, St.Mary’s Place, then Saltmeadows Rd. Gateshead. Timson factors, also St.Mary’s Place. They became Yorkshire Factoring, then Yorfac, moving to Hanover Square. Chapmans Springs, Back Goldspink Lane, Mankin &Pallister, on nearby Jesmond Rd/Goldspink Lane corner. Jonas Woodhead road spring repair, Dunston. I don’t know if Serck radiators are still going, they were on Skinnerburn Rd. at the bottom of Dunn St. also moving to Dunston.Not forgetting Adams &Gibbon, parts dept.,–up the stairs, take a number, then take a seat, and wait for your number to be called!-- Quite a list!, there may be some I’ve missed! Regards, forster.

forster:
Sad to hear of Smiles Engineering finishing- I remember them when they were in Morden Street(off Percy St.) before moving to St.Lawrence Rd., then, I believe to Brunswick Industrial Estate. I think recently they were doing some work for Arriva on regenerative flywheels, or fans?
Other companies in and around Newcastle now long gone, which some may remember,-- Associated Engineering Services, Gallowgate (Engine parts),
Auto Pistons, Stowell St.,(Engine parts) Autela Components, Lord St.(Brakes,clutches steering parts, etc, etc) Gaedor,Carliol Square,then moved to Lord St.(Auto. electrical parts) AE Edmunds Walker. Blandford St.(Brakes, clutches, steering parts etc. etc.) They also had a depot off Fossway.
Simms Motor Units, Falconer St. (Auto. Electrics). Joseph Lucas electrics, St.Mary’s Place, then Saltmeadows Rd. Gateshead. Timson factors, also St.Mary’s Place. They became Yorkshire Factoring, then Yorfac, moving to Hanover Square. Chapmans Springs, Back Goldspink Lane, Mankin &Pallister, on nearby Jesmond Rd/Goldspink Lane corner. Jonas Woodhead road spring repair, Dunston. I don’t know if Serck radiators are still going, they were on Skinnerburn Rd. at the bottom of Dunn St. also moving to Dunston.Not forgetting Adams &Gibbon, parts dept.,–up the stairs, take a number, then take a seat, and wait for your number to be called!-- Quite a list!, there may be some I’ve missed! Regards, forster.

Thats a great list there forster, Another one to add C&E Auto Electric, Scotswood Rd, Then T.V.T.E,& Speedway Magnito Gateshead, Regards Larry.

A few more, Provincial Ltd Gateshead & Sunderland, Partco ?, Plus the famous old Jonnie Brewster, Brunel St, Scotswood Rd then Dunston,Regards Larry.

Lawrence Dunbar:
A few more, Provincial Ltd Gateshead & Sunderland, Partco ?, Plus the famous old Jonnie Brewster, Brunel St, Scotswood Rd then Dunston,Regards Larry.

Plus Swifts & Thompson Browns on Railway St Newcastle, Regards Larry.

Tesseymans springs from Scarborough used to call on us every week. They had a lad called Matty from Newcastle collecting broken springs. I think they were transhipped to Scarborough and they would come back repaired a week later.
Snowballs Motor Factors from Bishop Auckland also called weekly. Sometimes old Mr Snowball would follow the van around in his car, he had usually had a drink or two.

Tyneside