Old North East haulage companies (Part 1)

hi Leyland, the Scotland rd depot was the first semi detach on the right going north, werehouse was down the side of the house, other depots with the werehouse attached to the house was Berwick-on-tweed Edinburgh Bathgate thornaby and redmarshall. bumper

Hi Bumper, was this the house you had in mind ?
Cheers Leyland 600.

possible Leyland house will have all changed by now last time I delivered to that depot was 1964 that garage at the back look a bit small to be a depot, always seem to get Dundee depot, Aberdeen and inverness wholesalers. bumper

One or two thanks to Richard Says, some older firms some not so old.
Oily

NE (3)rs .jpg

NE (2rs ).jpg

learnt today that jimmy ruff as died, will miss that cheeky smile, RIP JIMMY

bumper:

Sad news Jim, one of the true character’s in the area. R I P JIMMY. .Regards Kev.

bumper:

Aye Jim very sad news, He was a great lad to run with I first got to know him when he worked at Orrell & Brewsters, RIP Ruffy Regards Larry.

bumper:

Happy character jimmy how old was he bumper?

Another lad I worked with has just died at Seaham last week maybe not so well known as Jimmy, hes called Alan Morrison ex driver CFS, Direct Shilden, which is about the time i first met him late 70s Ge Armstrongs, Asda where he retired from & maybe one or two others. RIP Jimmy & Alan

A picture to bring back memories, one of Elddis units heading along the Quayside by Milk Market c.1980’s. Shame to hear about Jimmy Ruff, I don’t think I ever saw him not smiling or laughing. Does anyone know where he lived, I went to school with lads named Rutherford who’s Dad was a driver and I was never sure if it was him or not. RIP Jim.

Frankydobo:
A picture to bring back memories, one of Elddis units heading along the Quayside by Milk Market c.1980’s. Shame to hear about Jimmy Ruff, I don’t think I ever saw him not smiling or laughing. Does anyone know where he lived, I went to school with lads named Rutherford who’s Dad was a driver and I was never sure if it was him or not. RIP Jim.

Frankie, the late Jimmy Ruff lived in Washington, his funeral will take place on Thursday 16th March at the church on the hill, ( I think it’s Holy Trinity) next to Washington Old Hall at 1215. Ps. There were two Rutherfords worked at JR Adams, one of them, (Jimmy) also had a pub,The Tanners Arms on the end of Byker Bridge. The other Rutherford was called Jackie, I don’t think they were related. Regards Kev.

Yes cheers Kev not too far from me my Parents are buried in the churchyard also, I’ll see if I can make it. I had a feeling he was from Washington and not the family I was thinking of from Longbenton. Cheers Franky.

Frankydobo:
Yes cheers Kev not too far from me my Parents are buried in the churchyard also, I’ll see if I can make it. I had a feeling he was from Washington and not the family I was thinking of from Longbenton. Cheers Franky.

Franky I think the final resting place is the crematorium in Sunderland. Regards Kev.

Have you any photo of Han and Newby did Cooks and Dawson take them over in South Shields !.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

shaunhardie1:
Have you any photo of Han and Newby did Cooks and Dawson take them over in South Shields !.

Hello mate, i can’t help you with photo’s but can certainly remember Hann and Newby’s leading out of Sherburn Hill (Hargreaves) quarry in the mid sixties.As posted previously,we can remember H&N running 2 Ford Trader 6 wheelers ,not many around(in this area) at the time and later D series Ford’s.I still get confused with H&N and R&R Hands who of course are still operating. Paulycats.
Would be grateful if someone could resolve your question regarding Cooks and Dawson?

Yes thanks .

Well its Jimmy Ruffs funeral in the morning, I will be attending because Jimmy was a great lad to know & work allongside with, Ive had some great times with him over our years driving wagons he was a pleasure to run with, Once again RIP Ruffy, Regards Larry.

Well I attened Jimmy,s sent off, And he he was well attened , A lot off his old pals from the 50/60s plus were there to seehim laid to rest, Jimmy Ruff was a great lad , It was very sad to see him go, The turnout was fantastic for his depature from this world, RIP. Jimmy Ruff, Never to be forgoten, Regards Larry.

Jim Wilkinson’s Albion is a regular sight around the rally scene in the area but this is a genuine period shot taken from a newsreel film.
The reason the motor is “dressed” is, it was taking part in a parade to celebrate the Coronation of Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth in 1953.
The road is Gateshead High St, near the old Fleece pub. The driver is Bill Wilkinson, the late brother of Jim, the vehicles restorer and owner for
the last five decades. My thanks to Jim’s son Iain for permission to use the picture. Regards Kev.

The same motor today.

IMG_0353.JPG