Old livestock hauliers shropshire

kingswinford kit:

watty1:

kingswinford kit:

chepstowchap:
sorry about first effort problem with photobucket again

HI all,good to see that truck again! Can anyone confirm that Nelsons had that from new,or maybe it was ex Heatons or Suttons of St.Helens. Regards kk

hi kingwinswinford kit

n
No nelson’s did’nt have it new, as i remember they had it in the early 80’s ( i would say 82 or 3 but could’nt b sure about that).

Hi Watty,thanks for your reply,but that Sedatk was quite an unusual configuration i wonder watt happened to it ? regards to you watty kk

im not sure what happen to the sedatk, i know it was well worn when they replaced it with a new erf e10 in 1990, would’nt be surprized if it was’nt sent for scrap. regards watty

tvdriver:
143topline i am pretty sure that the 111 at the far end of the sheep ramps belonged to a sheep dealer jeff curtis from ashendon nr aylesbury one of
his sons les used to drive it he also at time had a sed ak 4oo wagon and drag, the 111 also pulled a drag. mikeyb i do know your father ln law in fact i broke my arm one time and grooms stuck a hgv l plate on the wagon and sent us off down the road what fun, i also worked with his brother gordon who unfortunately died very young he was a really good guy, and his dad peter used to drive for peter bateman from tring,

thanks for the info tvdriver

watty1:

kingswinford kit:

watty1:

kingswinford kit:

chepstowchap:
sorry about first effort problem with photobucket again

HI all,good to see that truck again! Can anyone confirm that Nelsons had that from new,or maybe it was ex Heatons or Suttons of St.Helens. Regards kk

hi kingwinswinford kit

n
No nelson’s did’nt have it new, as i remember they had it in the early 80’s ( i would say 82 or 3 but could’nt b sure about that).

Hi Watty,thanks for your reply,but that Sedatk was quite an unusual configuration i wonder watt happened to it ? regards to you watty kk

im not sure what happen to the sedatk, i know it was well worn when they replaced it with a new erf e10 in 1990, would’nt be surprized if it was’nt sent for scrap. regards watty

The old 400 stood at the bottom david williams yard in gwresyllt for a long time after box was swapped to the erf it was very rough hanging probably best word

From left to right - Chris Williams, Tom Haydon, Joe Boon (in Leyland) Fred Haydon, Peter Taylor, David Haydon.

Joe the legend who drove for Haydons for around 30 years - a good old stick. This photo taken in about 1988 - sadly at least 3 no longer with us.

The lads b.jpg

Wow, yet another brilliant thread bringing back loads of great memories for me. :sunglasses:

My dad worked for MJ Parry & Sons of Baston Hill for years on livestock work driving an AEC eight legger with a double deck sheep box.
He then drove a Leyland Buffalo drawbar outfit for S.L.P (select livestock producers) plus various other Leylands, Volvos, a Dodge & an brand new A reg Scania 82M (A921 VOE I think it was) but the Scania was bought when the haulage side of S.L.P was taken over by Roy Morgan Transport of Huntly, Gloucester.
They still kept the Scania 82M & the Volvo F7 working out of Shrewsbury & they visited the Huntly yard every forth Saturday for services.
He worked alongside Pete Thomas (Paratrooper, who is a driver/fitter at Pentons these days I think) at S.L.P who drove a very tidy orange & brown Volvo F7 drawbar outfit, I loved that truck when I was a kid! :laughing:

Sadly neither of us have any pics of these old cattle trucks. :frowning:
Hoping some of you guys might be able to help out? :sunglasses:

quality pic that gardner 120 used to know a lad 30 years ago charlie, he was involved with the haydon chaps but he drove a bedford flat for coopers north rode at the time great lad helped me out as a lad never forgot him

Probably Charlie Robinson mate. The pic is a restored Parry’s AEC taken by me at Gaydon June 2006 - what a beauty :smiley:

Gardner 120:
Probably Charlie Robinson mate. The pic is a restored Parry’s AEC taken by me at Gaydon June 2006 - what a beauty :smiley:

Great pic 120,nice to see one of Parry’s.

Hello johno1,

You might find a memory or two in this thread… :smiley: viewtopic.php?f=35&t=51613

All the best! Andrew Stone

johno1:
Wow, yet another brilliant thread bringing back loads of great memories for me. :sunglasses:

My dad worked for MJ Parry & Sons of Baston Hill for years on livestock work driving an AEC eight legger with a double deck sheep box.
He then drove a Leyland Buffalo drawbar outfit for S.L.P (select livestock producers) plus various other Leylands, Volvos, a Dodge & an brand new A reg Scania 82M (A921 VOE I think it was) but the Scania was bought when the haulage side of S.L.P was taken over by Roy Morgan Transport of Huntly, Gloucester.
They still kept the Scania 82M & the Volvo F7 working out of Shrewsbury & they visited the Huntly yard every forth Saturday for services.
He worked alongside Pete Thomas (Paratrooper, who is a driver/fitter at Pentons these days I think) at S.L.P who drove a very tidy orange & brown Volvo F7 drawbar outfit, I loved that truck when I was a kid! :laughing:

Sadly neither of us have any pics of these old cattle trucks. :frowning:
Hoping some of you guys might be able to help out? :sunglasses:

There is a cracking photo of a Jukes’ AEC 6 wheeler earlier on here at Woodside, Birkenhead Docks which brought back memories for me. In the early and mid 70s Haydons were there a lot, picking up cattle from Ireland. I went once in the 6 legged beast & drawbar with my cousin Dave Haydon (who tragically died suddenly last year). We sat in the queue of about 15 wagons and when it came to it, you had to drive down, swing round and reverse into a tight pen. Now Dave wasn’t the usual driver of the drawbar and as it had a steering front axle, it was a pig if you weren’t used to it. Anyway, we drew down and could he reverse it in? Could he hell! We must have had 10 or 12 attempts with all the drivers watching and the scouser on the pen. They gave all sorts of advice like “left hand down now mate” and “you don’t want to do it like that” and I learned lots of new words in the cab that an 11 year old probably shouldn’t have known :smiley:

My thanks again to Topline143 for the superb photo of 6 Legs :wink:

In the cab were oil cans, old rope and big sticks (cow persuaders) and it was lovely and warm on the bonnet in winter. Long way down at 11 & 12 though and stood on the hubcap to pull yourself in - having just had knee surgery at the weekend it looks a little daunting from here!

Long way from Shropshire again, but what a spendid picture, a steamer looks like a Sentinel.

I snapped this at Gaydon 2007

Hi chaps anyone got any memories of hauling into Marsh and Baxter at Brierley Hill or Devis butchers Great Bridge , I can remember seeing Crowthers Craven arms and J S Pugh in this area but was not too sure that they had delivered thier regards kk

This is another beautifully restored wagon

never went by marsh and baxters but i think j w hodgetts used to do a lot of work for them.
took a few photos at devis at great bridge, rawsons from hull with an atkinson eight wheeler, thomas bros llanerchymedd anglesey with an impressive erf eight wheeler and trevor north from melton mowbrasy with a scania artic. very close to devis was barretts and baird which was the busiest abattoir, wish i had made more visits there. trucks could be seen from north east scotland, ■■■■■■■■ north east, south west .

kingswinford kit:
Hi chaps anyone got any memories of hauling into Marsh and Baxter at Brierley Hill or Devis butchers Great Bridge , I can remember seeing Crowthers Craven arms and J S Pugh in this area but was not too sure that they had delivered thier regards kk

143topline:
never went by marsh and baxters but i think j w hodgetts used to do a lot of work for them.
took a few photos at devis at great bridge, rawsons from hull with an atkinson eight wheeler, thomas bros llanerchymedd anglesey with an impressive erf eight wheeler and trevor north from melton mowbrasy with a scania artic. very close to devis was barretts and baird which was the busiest abattoir, wish i had made more visits there. trucks could be seen from north east scotland, ■■■■■■■■ north east, south west .

kingswinford kit:

Hi 143 Topline great bit of information really brings back memories .
I can remember Thomas bros Anglesey having a nice ERF 8 legger with an early LV cab . As for Rawsons they had an Atkinson 8 legger delivering pigs on an regular basis . I am sure quite a few Shropshire hauliers came to Devis’ s as well regards kk

kingswinford kit:

143topline:

kingswinford kit:

I can remember Thomas bros Anglesey having a nice ERF 8 legger with an early LV cab . As for Rawsons they had an Atkinson 8 legger delivering pigs on an regular basis . I am sure quite a few Shropshire hauliers came to Devis’ s as well regards kk

Hi, yes remember Baxters very well, used to be a regular Tuesday pig delivery, also took thousands of welsh store Lambs into Barretts and Baird, easy delivery with a rigid, but a bit of a dogleg on the blindside with an artic, one of the nastiest times was being locked into Barretts new yard when it was raided by animal rights protesters one night, animal rights my arse, load of thugs looking for an excuse more like.
Also remember Baxters old place in Gloucester, think its part of the ring road these days.
regards Andrew.

Merry Christmas to all on here - I’ve really enjoyed the cattle wagon photos :smiley:

andrew brick:

kingswinford kit:

143topline:

kingswinford kit:

Hi, yes remember Baxters very well, used to be a regular Tuesday pig delivery, also took thousands of welsh store Lambs into Barretts and Baird, easy delivery with a rigid, but a bit of a dogleg on the blindside with an artic, one of the nastiest times was being locked into Barretts new yard when it was raided by animal rights protesters one night, animal rights my arse, load of thugs looking for an excuse more like.
Also remember Baxters old place in Gloucester, think its part of the ring road these days.
regards Andrew.

Thanks Andrew, brings back memories of Baxters and all those lorries of which severalwere from the welsh borders.
All gone now together with the Round Oak steelworks, now the Merryhill centre regards kk

thomas bros llanerchymedd, anglesey . erf eight legger with williams wrexham body at devis great bridge. in background is rear of rawsons atkinson eight legger from hull