Old ladies off to retirement homes

From P&O’s facebook page;

Time has caught up with this grand old lady, The Pride Of Calais, and she has done us proud. Her final sailing is set to be the 14.50hrs departure from Calais to Dover on Saturday 20 October, due to arrive in Dover at 15.20hrs local time. She’ll then be de-stored and sent for lay-up whilst we consider her future.

We’ve been pondering how many passengers the ship has carried since she came into service in 1987 and the consensus seems to be in the region of 40 million, with superb reliability, and sailing something like 2,500,000 miles. Surely one of the most successful ferries ever built for the Dover Strait.

Rumour has it that Transeuropa management & crew have been spending alot of time recently in Tilbury measuring up the Pride of Dover, and are waiting for the Calais to retire before purchasing the pair (Given that the Dover has - since lay up, been canabalised slightly everytime the Calais has needed bits ‘fixing or repairing’)

I like those old ferries, you knew where everything is. Not like those new buggers! :open_mouth:

Help i must be getting old :open_mouth: i remember them coming into service :laughing:

A great ferry. Many a happy meal and hot shower on board her. She did what she was designed to do, make lots of money for P&O :laughing:

The Peninsular and Oriental ferries i used to go to cross the English Channel the drivers had to sleep under the water line of the ship and we were locked in with hydraulic doors manned by an attendant who could let us escape in an emergency, the cabins were close to the engines, so it was noisy to get a good sleep.

cypry0:
Help i must be getting old :open_mouth: i remember them coming into service :laughing:

Me too :blush: