Old Italians FIAT OM UNIC Lancia

michel:
OM super-orione with a V8 engine, a lot are still used in Argentina and Uruguay.

Correct me if I’m wrong, but that cab originated with Saurer, and was used by FAP. I like the look of it.

The V8 is news to me. IIRC, the Titano (later model) had a stright 6. Coincidentally, in view of my last post, this was the most powerful European engine from 1966 onwards, with 260 (assumed DIN) bhp.

fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/OM_Orione

My 1981 170-26 pushing an even older boat and about to pull half a house
Tony

[zb]
anorak:

michel:
OM super-orione with a V8 engine, a lot are still used in Argentina and Uruguay.

Correct me if I’m wrong, but that cab originated with Saurer, and was used by FAP. I like the look of it.

The V8 is news to me. IIRC, the Titano (later model) had a stright 6. Coincidentally, in view of my last post, this was the most powerful European engine from 1966 onwards, with 260 (assumed DIN) bhp.

fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/OM_Orione

Yes indeed, the Super-Orione, produced from 1954 to 1961, had a 11630 cc V8 engine developing 170 bhp.

The 260 bhp Titano had a 10310 cc straight-6 (DGL) fitted with a compressor (not a turbocharger).

The big 13.7 litre Fiat 8210.02 was certainly te best engine of its generation, and the most pleasant to use, to my opinion! Powerful, full of torque and brilliant in revving-up, especially in its turbocharged 380 bhp version. Reliable and not so greedy as some narrow-minded guys claim…

Just found this image of an Alfa Romeo tractor…wow, that’ll be the day to see this on European roads!

Not my picture…it’s part of an “TOPGEAR”-article

FAP with frontcab, not exactly the same as Super-Orione :

ERF-Continental:
Just found this image of an Alfa Romeo tractor…wow, that’ll be the day to see this on European roads!

Certainly so different from the plain and boring desing of all modern trucks!

Froggy55:

ERF-Continental:

Certainly so different from the plain and boring desing of all modern trucks!

Indeed, it looks superb- and perfectly feasible, unlike most styling concepts, which are the work of idiots. I wonder if Iveco has a mind to make it? They have certainly made a good job of the new S-Way which, I think, is a very skilful re-skin of the old Stralis (I stand to be corrected on that score. The only evidence I have is a video, which appears to show that it retains the earlier model’s dash assembly).

Neatly assembled, and fitted with the latest and reliable technology, it could be the jewel o some fleets, just as some buy one American long-nosed Kenworth or Peterbilt. A very good advertisement for quality service. Of course, I would see the dashboard, though fitted with the latest equipments, nicely designed with quality materials such as wood panels and chrome dials like in the T 800, instead of cheap plastic!

Thank you to have been accepted as a member in your forum. I am the UNIC enthusiast from Switzerland.
I have started started the Restauration of a UNIC T 270 A from 1967. Here a few pictures

Welcome to the forum UNIC. I have watched the video of the prototype T370 many times. Excellent work, if I may say so.

This “new” T270 looks very good already- the chassis seems not to need anything other than paint and routine servicing. :smiley: What a great find; I’m glad it has ended up in such careful hands.

I too welcome you to the forum, UNIC. Looking forward to more pictures as you progress! Ro

Well, I must say that’s good news, and welcome to THE club, Mr Moritz! I have followed your great work fo years, and am looking forward to your regular contributions! Can’t see your pictures, though; probably a problem loading them.

the first 50 pictures of the UNIC 3466L restoration

the base was the green 2766 from Mr. Lorin (France). I lengthend the wheelsbase bei 1.30 m and also mounted a TELMA electric brake.
the 12.00x20 Michelins were replaced by single 14.00 x 20 Michelin XZL
the 270 bhp UNIC V8 was replaced by the 340 bhp UNIC V8
the manual 8-speed-gearbox was replaced by a Allison 6-Speed automatic transmission (end speed 135 km/h at 2400 rpm)
i am able to run 80 km/h at 1500 rpm which is best for fuel consumption
the cab was lengthend by 94 cm and two original UNIC doors were fitted (4 ISRY air suspended seats were mounted

Well, the least I can say in CONGRATULATIONS! Looking at the cab of the T 270, it seems you prefer traditional sanding to sandblasting.

next 50 pictures

Froggy55:
Well, the least I can say in CONGRATULATIONS! Looking at the cab of the T 270, it seems you prefer traditional sanding to sandblasting.

I was thinking the same thing, when I saw the D/A resting on the chassis. Then I saw the pallet of blasted parts on the floor next to it, in what looks very much like a blasting booth! I have found that it is easier, and less wasteful of sand, to do the large, regular-shaped areas with a disc, then use the blaster to get at the awkward parts. Chemicals used to be good for the latter job, but modern paint stripper is useless- it doesn’t even sting your hands!

next 50 pictures

next 50 pictures

I wish such dashboards were still available on modern trucks/vans instead of the crap all-plastic digitalised information! Your workshop looks more like a hospital, so neata and clean it is!

Hello Froggy55

this is my truck hospital !