Old Hull Haulage companys

From Commercial Motor 7th January 1977:

INTERNATIONAL haulier Jac. W. Herreveld Continental has placed a E200,000 order for 13 DAY trucks and 12 tilt trailers to add to its fleet. The order is for 10 of the new 36-ton FT2300DHU vehicles, one 56-ton FTT2805DKS and two 32-ton FT2000DHB as well as 12 Crane Fruehauf 12-metre tilt trailers. Based in Hull, the company, will be using the new units on its operations in Spain, Portugal, Switzerland and Yugoslavia carrying goods ranging from bulbs to offshore oil industry equipment.

Herreveld bought the first DAF 2600 in the UK when it began in business in the UK in 1973.

The company handles full loads and groupage business from Manchester, Glasgow and Leeds and will be opening a new depot in Glasgow this week.
Major contracts involving the delivery of paper and rolls of self-adhesive material throughout Europe are among the loads handled by Herreveld.

untitled.png

moomooland:

Wheel Nut:
Do you mind if I copy the Jackson Mills for a local history group in Hull? Thank you

Feel free cant remember were the picture came from have had it quite a while.

Here’s an incident from way way back!

A Fordson four wheeler operated by A.E. Jenkinson of Hull has had a coming together with a cyclist at the junction of
Anlaby Road and Park Street in Hull.

3The Fordson forward-control 7V range made its debut in 1937 and was powered by a 30hp sidevalve V8 engine.
The distinctive cab for some reason featured a sunroof over the passenger seat,

The Fordson is a wartime lorry , note the shielded headlights and the “sunroof” would have had a gun mounting in it , obviously ex army .

ERF-NGC-European:
Those Herreveld pictures are interesting. These pics (below) show an ERF European owned by a Hull owner-driver called Ted Croswell and it appears to be in Herreveld colours. It eventually passed to PG Horridge in Poole. Do you know anything about its existence in Hull? Or do you better pictures of it?

Cheers,

Robert

There was a driver called Ted who drove for Herreveld , don’t know the surname

regards
Bert

lUBERTUS:

ERF-NGC-European:
Those Herreveld pictures are interesting. These pics (below) show an ERF European owned by a Hull owner-driver called Ted Croswell and it appears to be in Herreveld colours. It eventually passed to PG Horridge in Poole. Do you know anything about its existence in Hull? Or do you better pictures of it?

Cheers,

Robert

There was a driver called Ted who drove for Herreveld , don’t know the surname

regards
Bert

Cheers Bert! A step closer, then! Robert

Hi

Someone asking earlier about Earnest Waudby pictures. I have their Scania Vabis in my collection.

An interesting topic cropped up, well interesting to me anyway. I said I remembered the “old road” to Hull. Not slightly true as I only remember parts of it as the Ferriby bypass was completed in 1961 that was just after the overhead traffic lights which caused so much congestion and mayhem. Long before the Humber Bridge (1981) 20 years before.

The next phase was from the old A63 which ran past my fathers pub, and included “Cave Bypass” went to Brough. Many will remember the roundabout in Brough, straight on for the aeroplane factory or left at the greenhouses.

North Cave – Hull
The section from junction 38 of the M62 (its terminus) to the A1034 junction near South Cave was single carriageway before the M62 opened in May 1976. The section was constructed as the duelling of the Caves Bypass and opened when the last eastern section of the M62 opened, completing the dual carriageway link to the outskirts of Hull. From junction 38, the B1230 leads to North Cave (and in the direction of Beverley) along the former A63. The BP Triangle North Cave is alongside the junction.
There is the Beacon Service Area on the eastbound side, with the South Cave East Little Chef and Shell Beacon, situated just south of Everthorpe and Wolds prisons. The road skirts the southern edge of South Cave, and near Ellerker it crosses the former route (and Ermine Street from Brough, then known as Petuaria, to York) at the A1034 junction.
The 2.5 miles (4 km) Elloughton bypass was built in October 1971, from the A1034 to the Welton/Brough junction passing Brantingham to the west. It replaced the former road through Elloughton and Brough. This section skirts the southern edge of the Yorkshire Wolds.
The Welton/Brough – North Ferriby section opened in 1961. At the Elloughton-■■■-Brough-Welton parish boundary, there is a grade-separated junction for Brough to the south and Welton to the north. The road passes on the south side of South Hunsley School (with a leisure centre) at Melton, part of the parish of Welton.
A new grade separated junction was constructed east of Melton near North Ferriby in 2006/7. The Shell Grand Dale filling station is on the westbound side, west of the Melton interchange. The Yorkshire Wolds Way crosses at this point.
The North Ferriby bypass and North Ferriby – Hessle sections opened in 1961. The former route is partly the B1231 (for Swanland). The road meets the A15 at a grade-separated junction. The former route, before the South Docks Road improvement, followed the current A1105 into Hull.
The road continues through the Humber Bridge Country Park, across the Hull-Selby railway, and under the Humber Bridge. The Humber bridge was designed to take some of Hull’s traffic southwards, but the vast majority takes the A63 westwards, towards the M18. The road passes on the south side of Hessle, next to Hessle railway station, and follows the Hull to Selby railway line closely on the southern side as far as the outskirts of Hull near the western docks.

The last phase was Melton and the new industry that is sited where RTZ Capper Pass smelting works was built. It was our MP David Davis and his arch enemy John Prescot who pushed for these improvements in 1999. The traffic lights were eventually removed, weight limits were applied in Melton and a new junction was built.

Great free to watch film about the workings of Hull Docks in 1963 'The Port of Hull 'on the BFI free to watch film site-
Link to film-
player.bfi.org.uk/free/film/wat … 963-online

Shows how labour intensive docks were then , not that many trucks in film but here are a few screen grabs-

superpoise.png

comet reader.png

2020-04-30 (11).png

b1.png

Wheel Nut:
When you get to a certain age, you tend to read the obituary columns before the front page.

3 names this week, not sure if any of them have been mentioned before.

Micky Boy. Michael Hodgson. ex Eurovision / European Road Freight.

Ron Stafford, possibly ex Huttons of Hull and Link Transport■■?

Shirley Hatfield, wife of Big Geoff Hatfield■■?

Im not sure if these are the same people, just names that jumped out at me!

Only just come across this post.
I worked with Mickey Boy for many years at European Road Freight or Riby’s as everybody called it.
Great guy, although lived in a bit of a fantasy world as far as his ancestry went but good company when we we were weekended together.
I’d heard he wasn’t well a couple of years ago but lost touch, sad to read that he’d passed away.

Hi people im new on here(cant believe i havnt come across this site before)

When i was a kid i travelled all over the country with my grandad who worked for Robertson Dales, Hammond Emmes, North Bridge transport, I J Blakey and then Mauri Yeast :smiley:

Just wondering if anybody has any pics of these companys?

Hope someone can help, I have brilliant memories of travelling in Blakeys old F86s and F7s

Hi mate. My old man drove for Eddom International from Hull in the mid/late 80’s, who had a striking fleet of Scania 142’s & Daf Space cabs in silver, with orange & purple striping - pulling plain white fridges. I have some pics I can post somwhere.

i remember eddoms well. i used to load out of an abatoir in grimsby with them for rungis in the mid eighties. i was in the east enders bar in zeebrugge one night with one of their drivers from sunderland. a big irish man was arm wrestling for money. this eddoms driver bet him and kissed him on the lips as the irish man was winning.the irish man got a shock and lost. i think the minisry closed eddoms down.

There is a picture of an Eddom 3600 Spacecab in Ash’s thread.

I drove one after John Eddom had packed up, he did a little bit of sewing for the Royal family :wink:

Yeh They had some nice motors :smiley:

Also remember when Brian yeardly started up he ran some of the best motors of there day including the first F12 Globetrotter in the area :sunglasses:

anyone remember Huttons of Hull and Hull Ship Stores(Both ran top spec wagons)

JonB1973:

Huttons are still in business, although they do not run an International fleet now. I am not sure but maybe they took over Hull Ships Stores. Huttons moved from Hedon Road into Sutton Fields.

Someone will come up with a picture or two I hope.

Wheel Nut:

JonB1973:

Huttons are still in business, although they do not run an International fleet now. I am not sure but maybe they took over Hull Ships Stores. Huttons moved from Hedon Road into Sutton Fields.

Someone will come up with a picture or two I hope.

Malc,who was the haulier who did the trunk for Blundell - Permoglaze paints in Hull and what happened to Wakes off Hedon Road,they ran a lot of Scanias.The other one I remember was Fletchers who did a lot of fridge work and I think their name was changed,although I might be wrong about that. :unamused:
The other one among many old Hull hauliers was Thompsons of Hedon who ran a lot of cattle wagons.They were nationwide,ran in a brown livery.

There was Herbert Fletcher from Preston who ran fridges,

Herbert Fletcher is still on the go today.

The only livestock transporter with brown lorries that I remember is KL & S Winter who also ran a couple of Scanias on lift tanks.

Wake Brothers became known as Mainstream Motors before disappearing into the Humber.

The transport firm for Blundells paint escapes me, could it have been Falkingham of James Reckitt Avenue or Johns Manville (Bramleys)?

Blakeys used to do the Paint from Blundels

Falkinghams is a blast from the past as is Hull and Glasgow

Also remember John Tuttys and Tozers(Real smart red white and blue volvos)

I seem to remember Blundells also operated their own trucks but have been unable to confirm this with my Uncle.

What I do remember is a very bad accident at Slipper Bridge opposite my house when a Blundell Permaglaze lorry hit a van head on killing both drivers. I was about 6 or 7 years old and it was the first dead body I had ever seen. I saw a lot more accidents along that stretch of road too. After the paint lorry accident, the paint had soaked into the grass and for many months I went home with paint up my legs.

Some of the other old names I remember in Hull were,
J.E.S Tutty
Stewart Elspen and Greenhough, (SEG) (mentioned previously by Chris)
Richardson Transport
Chapman Sheilds
Reader Brothers
Priestmans Excavators
JB Kay
Earles Cement
Hewitson
Grimsby Express
Trawler Fish Company (TFC)
Huttons of Hull
Link Transport
Bogg Holdings (Trawlers)
Alan Jackson
Springfield Haulage
HuoN Haulage.
John Good
Bayram Timber
HCA Malcolmson

Some large companies who have now gone were
Imperial Typewriters
Priestman
Croda Edible & Universal
Chambers & Fargus
Teal & Mackrill
Blundell Permoglaxe became Axzo Nobel
Holmes Hall Tanners

I remember Reader Bros well.They used to pull Dutch trailers off the dock and drop them in Humber Street (I think) loaded with lettuce and I used to go and load my wagon when I worked out of Sheffield market in the late 60s.In fact there’d be one or two loading off the same trailer and you just helped yourself,usually at night.When t’wind was blowing those boxes of lettuce were a bind to keep on your trailer when loading 'em.
Haltemprice Transport was another company that did the same thing.
Link Transport used to deliver wet fish to the chippies at night,just dump it in the doorway and away to the next shop.I used to see them regular when I was on nights delivering for Littlewoods,usually round West Midlands.
Do you remember Henery Brothers who carried fish? They had “Fish is your life” on the side of their wagons :laughing: .They had a nice fleet,Arrow Bulk Tankers and I think they were called Easthaugh Brothers before that.