Old Hull Haulage companys

moomooland:
A couple more from the archives of Wakes of Hull.

Cracking shots there Mr M, I note the Scania Vabis has a Grimsby Reg, Perhaps because there was no Scania Dealer In Hull, Wake Bros, As I remember them when I drove for F.Short & Son who had a depot in Oxford Street, Just ajacent to Wincolmb Lee in Hull, , Were allways in the fast lane, I remember talking to one of Wakes lads who told me that there was money to be earned at Wakes if one wanted to work hard & fast , Plus they did have some good tackle, The good old days IMO, Regards Larry.

Lawrence Dunbar:

moomooland:

Cracking shots there Mr M, I note the Scania Vabis has a Grimsby Reg, Perhaps because there was no Scania Dealer In Hull, Wake Bros, As I remember them when I drove for F.Short & Son who had a depot in Oxford Street, Just ajacent to Wincolmb Lee in Hull, , Were allways in the fast lane, I remember talking to one of Wakes lads who told me that there was money to be earned at Wakes if one wanted to work hard & fast , Plus they did have some good tackle, The good old days IMO, Regards Larry.

Hi Larry

Spot on there! back then there wasn’t a Scania dealer in Hull

Spud1960:

Lawrence Dunbar:

moomooland:

Hi Larry

Spot on there! back then there wasn’t a Scania dealer in Hull

I remember a conversation in the Woodside Café at Rawcliffe between some Wake drivers and they were on about the company wanting two trips a day or night Hull-Liverpool when M62 was opened all the way through. I don’t know if it happened though.

Well going back to the good old days , Driving HGV.s IMO Was a great job Plus plenty of money to be made, If you wanted to work for a good Gaffer like I did who looked after you through thick & thin with A Fat pay packet at the en of the week, Long gone days sadley to say, But having said all this Drivers today are earning £500.00.Per week on local work, So all I can say Is good luck & good fortune to them, Before this Brexit ■■■■ Hits The Fan, Regards Larry.

I have just had a message from a bloke who is 31 asking about an old Hull tanker man.

Kev Cowie or Ted / Edward Cowie worked for John Forman - P&O

Chris Webb?

Wheel Nut:
I have just had a message from a bloke who is 31 asking about an old Hull tanker man.

Kev Cowie or Ted / Edward Cowie worked for John Forman - P&O

Chris Webb?

He will be the bloke whose dad worked for John Foremans out of Saltend then Malc. I’ve answered his request but can’t help him much,only that I remember Foremans in 1970 when I was in Saltend.

1953 and this Commer Superpoise Q4 four wheeler flat lorry, operated by Wilkinson Brothers Fish Merchants of Hull, was heading towards Manchester when it finished up in the shop window of James C Dixon on the A62 Manchester Street Werneth in Oldham.

The lorry was operated by Wilkinson Brothers Fish Transport Ltd who merged with Link Road Transport (Hull) Ltd 19 years later in 1972.

botch:
used to back load off a&s haulage of hull mostly timber are they still about , know that old jimmy and henry both past on, also there was an owner driver said he was david whitfields brother, he drove a fodon all ways immaculately dressed nomally spoke to him on the docks shed 10, :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

that would be Geoffery Whitfield , David Whitfields brother he married into the reader family.you could always see hie truck parked outside the Barrrell Inn At Walkington. on his way home to Leven.

mick mangan:

botch:
used to back load off a&s haulage of hull mostly timber are they still about , know that old jimmy and henry both past on, also there was an owner driver said he was david whitfields brother, he drove a fodon all ways immaculately dressed nomally spoke to him on the docks shed 10, :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

that would be Geoffery Whitfield , David Whitfields brother he married into the reader family.you could always see hie truck parked outside the Barrrell Inn At Walkington. on his way home to Leven.

Hello there The Whitfields name thats a blast from the past, Another brother Ted was a shunter for F.Short & Sons Oxford Street Hull who operated a night trunk I worked for them 1968, John Conboy was T M & Frankie Orr was their yard man. Regards Larry.

When you get to a certain age, you tend to read the obituary columns before the front page.

3 names this week, not sure if any of them have been mentioned before.

Micky Boy. Michael Hodgson. ex Eurovision / European Road Freight.

Ron Stafford, possibly ex Huttons of Hull and Link Transport■■?

Shirley Hatfield, wife of Big Geoff Hatfield■■?

Im not sure if these are the same people, just names that jumped out at me!

does anyone rember a firm metcalf transport cottingham in the 1960,s delivering for idea standard

Wheel Nut:
When you get to a certain age, you tend to read the obituary columns before the front page.

I know Geoff Hatfield he worked for ltc at one point then moved onto Abbey road tanks?? Might be a different chap he’s 63 now if that’s him

yt03:

Wheel Nut:

I know Geoff Hatfield he worked for ltc at one point then moved onto Abbey road tanks?? Ron Stafford was he the ex prison guard??

That’s young Geoff,
Ron Stafford was ex Hutton’s, Link Transport and I think John Forman, he liked his shooting, probably too old to be a prison officer, they finish at 55

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wheel Nut:

yt03:

Wheel Nut:

I know Geoff Hatfield he worked for ltc at one point then moved onto Abbey road tanks?? Ron Stafford was he the ex prison guard??

That’s young Geoff,
Ron Stafford was ex Hutton’s, Link Transport and I think John Forman, he liked his shooting, probably too old to be a prison officer, they finish at 55

I’m sure he will appreciate being called young, he’s off work at the moment he fell and broke his wrist a few weeks ago

Brittle Bones [emoji23] it will be something to do with fishing

Wheel Nut:
Brittle Bones [emoji23] it will be something to do with fishing

He still goes to Ireland for 2 weeks a year fishing :laughing:

Nothing really changes in Transport.

Wheel Nut:

John-truckersinfo:
HI all,
How the memorys have come flooding back seeing all those pics and company names from Hull.
But one not named was the Dutch company GELDERS who had a depot in Dairycoates Hessle road. My father drove for them when they started in Hull in the 70’s right through to the 90’s by this time they had morphed to become IPEC and then into the mighty TNT and he and the rest of the family where all down in Northampton. He then went back to Hull and drove for Willow transport my cousins outfit.
I followed my father and worked for a subbie called Ron Pattison from Knottingley on a Bedford TK out of Gelders before moving down to Northants and joining Gelders employment and spending many a trip poodling around Euroland.

By the way Graham wells of “Wells Cargo” (way back in thread) was an old pal old mine and now is a driving instructor.
Don’t know if any of you were on the net in the late 90’s when I set up and ran a site called truckersinfo.co.uk (don’t try it took it offline years ago.)
All the best

I think there have been photos of Gelders posted on TruckNet before and I am certain I have mentioned them. If I remember correctly it was a light (larkspur) blue and white livery they used. Were they the same Gelder that became IPEC. I am still looking for pictures of Jac W Herreveld. I remember Thompsons of Beverley had photos of both companies on the walls. Arnold Worrall was a close friend and was keeper of the pictures I think.

I remember a Pattison but not Ron, Did he have a son? he dropped a loaded trailer in Wembley Cafe at Newport and me as a 15 year old lad was dispatched with jacks, blocks of wood and a spare landing leg in Bill Malcolmson’s land-rover to help the embarrassed driver out.

I used the pub & cafe opposite Ted Jarvis office many times

Wheel Nut:

John-truckersinfo:
HI all,
How the memorys have come flooding back seeing all those pics and company names from Hull.
But one not named was the Dutch company GELDERS who had a depot in Dairycoates Hessle road. My father drove for them when they started in Hull in the 70’s right through to the 90’s by this time they had morphed to become IPEC and then into the mighty TNT and he and the rest of the family where all down in Northampton. He then went back to Hull and drove for Willow transport my cousins outfit.
I followed my father and worked for a subbie called Ron Pattison from Knottingley on a Bedford TK out of Gelders before moving down to Northants and joining Gelders employment and spending many a trip poodling around Euroland.

By the way Graham wells of “Wells Cargo” (way back in thread) was an old pal old mine and now is a driving instructor.
Don’t know if any of you were on the net in the late 90’s when I set up and ran a site called truckersinfo.co.uk (don’t try it took it offline years ago.)
All the best

I think there have been photos of Gelders posted on TruckNet before and I am certain I have mentioned them. If I remember correctly it was a light (larkspur) blue and white livery they used. Were they the same Gelder that became IPEC. I am still looking for pictures of Jac W Herreveld. I remember Thompsons of Beverley had photos of both companies on the walls. Arnold Worrall was a close friend and was keeper of the pictures I think.

I remember a Pattison but not Ron, Did he have a son? he dropped a loaded trailer in Wembley Cafe at Newport and me as a 15 year old lad was dispatched with jacks, blocks of wood and a spare landing leg in Bill Malcolmson’s land-rover to help the embarrassed driver out.

I used the pub & cafe opposite Ted Jarvis office many times

Jac Herreveld moved to South Africa in 1983

Those Herreveld pictures are interesting. These pics (below) show an ERF European owned by a Hull owner-driver called Ted Croswell and it appears to be in Herreveld colours. It eventually passed to PG Horridge in Poole. Do you know anything about its existence in Hull? Or do you better pictures of it?

Cheers,

Robert

newerf261CLOSE.jpg
IMG_0536.JPG