Old haulage companies

Loggo:
Smiths of Madiston ?
Crow (tankers)

Crow Carrying was taken into the Linkman TDG group

Smith of Maddiston, gone, name changed to united transport (parent group), now also gone.
Head office was at Maddiston Stirlingshire, site now hq of central Scotland Fire Brigade.
I worked for Smiths at the London Rd depot Glasgow between 1975 and 1978.
Official company motto, Smith for Service…unofficial motto…the only thing that will pass a Smiths motor is another one!

I have hijacked this thread for a while to indulge myself on a regional basis.

HULL and surrounding areas.

JB Kay
Key Transport and Warehousing
Grimsby Express
Jac W Hereveld
Reader Bros
Norman Wake
Wake Brothers (aka) Mainstream
[Link Transport
Slaters
John Bogg}
Spear Transport
Humber Carting Agency
H Falkingham
Arrow Bulk Tankers
Alan Jackson
HB Holt
JA Holt
Johnsons of Goole
KLS Winter
and many more to come :stuck_out_tongue:

Wheel Nut:

JB Kay
Grimsby Express
Jac W Hereveld
Reader Bros
Norman Wake
[Link Transport
Slaters
John Bogg}
Spear Transport
Humber Carting Agency
H Falkingham
Arrow Bulk Tankers
Alan Jackson
HB Holt
JA Holt
Johnsons of Goole
KLS Winter

Tuttys Queen St. haulage.

Viking:

Wheel Nut:

JB Kay
Grimsby Express
Jac W Hereveld
Reader Bros
Norman Wake
[Link Transport
Slaters
John Bogg}
Spear Transport
Humber Carting Agency
H Falkingham
Arrow Bulk Tankers
Alan Jackson
HB Holt
JA Holt
Johnsons of Goole
KLS Winter

Tuttys Queen St. haulage.

and Springfield Haulage?

HB & H, (hurry boy…hurry) Newton-le-Willows.
Holt Lane Transport, Prescot.
Aaron Henshall, Prescot.

Viking:
HB & H, (hurry boy…hurry) Newton-le-Willows.
Holt Lane Transport, Prescot.
Aaron Henshall, Prescot.

Holt Lane bought out Aaron Henshall in the sixties and the whole shooting match was closed down in the eighties after a prolonged inustrial dispute.

Harper&Mylrea liverpool i worked there for 27 years use to carry most of the wool out of Liverpool Docks to Bradford

James Shepherd [Hebden Bridge]
Greenroyd Transport [Todmorden]
J.Grindrod & Son [Littleborough]
Clegg Transport [Rochdale]

Norman Jowett
Pendle Haulage
J.A.L Transport
all part of Jowetts in the 50s/60s

Hoyles of Todmorden

daveg179:
James Shepherd [Hebden Bridge]
Greenroyd Transport [Todmorden]
J.Grindrod & Son [Littleborough]
Clegg Transport [Rochdale]

Norman Jowett
Pendle Haulage
J.A.L Transport
all part of Jowetts in the 50s/60s

Hoyles of Todmorden

Jowett also owned Turners coaches on Halifax road and a lorry firm near Ripponden.
J.A.L was leach of Littleborough and Jowett took it over.
I did a night, day, night shift for Norman Jowett in 1963 but was so tired after 40 hours without sleep I told him, relation or not he can stick his job. Mick Jowett is still around in Todmorden and Kieth is somewhere in the far East, the yard is now a housing estate.

A good mate of mine drove for Jimmy Shepard and eventually managed his Luton depot, he had also driven for Jowett and Temperly’s pipe works.
his last job before he retired at 72 was with Peter Smith at Worsthorne.

Do you remember Ratcliffe of Littleborough with a fleet of Commers?
Hoyle died a few years ago but had not run lorries for years, he had a van conversion and sales near the old Todmorden bus garage and has some nice photos of his fleet on the wall of his office.
Two more small Todmorden hauliers were Stan Greenwood on Waterside and Bracewells Square garage.

You may remember some of the lorries in the photos below dave.

Do you remember any of the drivers below? Most long gone.

Good days before all the H&s crap and digi tachos etc.

Russell.

Thanks for the photos Russel. Remember al those wagons .Also nice to see Spike stood in front of Jowetts A.E.C dont recognise the other lads .My father drove for them around 1965 to 1967 on a Dodge rigid and then a new Austin/Morris rigid a 1966 D reg dont think they had it that long,was a nice motor and good for 70mph.He used to do a lot of work out of Armour Hess chemicals at Littleborough into the midlands and then load of batteries from Wallsall back to Exide at Swinton.The lads i remember as a lad at Jowetts were Spike [coincidentally i now work with Glen his son]Danny Gillfillan, Philip Chadwick,Billy Tipper.When i got wed back in 1974 my best man was Roger ,son of Donald Jowett .I still live in Cornholme not very far from there old depot and often still pop into the Roebuck pub where a lot of the lads used to drink.When my father left there he moved onto Grindrods at Littleborough where they paid good money but father said they worked you hard and mostly away all week.Was mainly steel pipes they hauled from Markland Scowcroft at Bolton all over Britain he drove a D series Ford for a while and said it was a good reliable motor,then a Dodge which always seemed a lot more powerful ,but not as comfy for nights out.Then after a few years he moved onto the coaches at Ellen Smiths for many years before his health started to suffer.Had forgotten about Temperley,s pipes cant think why as i worked at all 3 as a lad.Cant remember the firm you mentioned in Littleborough,but seem to remember a firm called H Sutcliffe ?in Littleborough.With regards to Hoyles i work for the bus company in Todmorden now they are still selling vans and are now doing repairs and M.O.Ts and Dennis,s daughter Beverley now run it. One of there old drivers worked with us on buses for a few years [Roachie] .Seem to remember a few of Jowetts drivers moved to Leach,s when it closed.Thin Peter Smith,s still run 1 or 2 wagons as i go past yard daily and there are a couple parked up .One of our drivers used to work for them for a while a lad called Ken, and also a couple of brothers in the village but cant think of there names.Once again many thanks for showing the great photos.

Seem to think Danny Gillfillan might have drove the Dodge tractor unit while my father worked there seem to think it might have been a D reg 1966. Remember Stan Greenwood did he run a Dennis flat?. Alec Greenwood still operates a repair business from the premises .

hiya,
Very interesting stuff there Russell have you any info on Jack’s Motors I know your
old firm “Gillies” took them over and I actually did about a month for them in the
60s a little four wheeled ERF with a 4 pot Gardner in it on the hydrodgen peroxide
round all the hairdressers, when did they finish ■■ didn’t Gilbraiths keep the name
going for a while after the Blackburn depot shut down, they was all canny lads and
the bosses were good to work for it was just not my type of work, and didn’t they
only ever run rigid ERF’s can never remember seeing any artics, they had a lot of
“long term” drivers some of them “as old as tea”.
thanks harry, long retired.

Hi Harry, yes Gilbraith Tankers owned Jacks motors, you would have though it was Gilbraith Haulage who owned it but for some reason Tankers had them.
They had a lot of vehicles on Manchester Liners contract and some painted in the livery of the firm. They also did a lot of work for Howard and Bullough the textile machinery makers but when both Manchester Liners and Bulloughs shut down Jacks were more or less finished.
Gilbraith sold most of the vehicles and the depot went to some supermarket outfit.
There were two drivers kept on and they were based in our Tanker yard but hadn’t to do tanker work and the agreement was the tankers drivers wouldn’t do Jacks work. Keith Jackson was the only name I remember and he was the very last to finish.
I used to get the company accounts for Gilbraith each year and right up to Gilbraith selling out to Hargreaves the accounts showed Jacks still listed as a subsidary company and shares valued at a few quid.

Some of Jacks marathons had sleeper cabs but we couldn’t have them on tankers because they didn’t meet the pet regs so they had to be sold.

I have photos somewhere which I will post if I find them of Jacks units in manchester Liners livery, in the mean time there are a couple of photos of the units and two of the little ERF’s you may have driven.

Taken at the Turner street depot Blackburn.

Russell.

Spardo:
I remember Gobowen Transport ads in ‘Headlight’ in the 60s and 70s for return loads. Don’t think I ever used them though. Same one?

Salut, David.

Here`s a scan of a motor from Gobowen anything to do with all this ?.
Image hosted by Photobucket.com

:smiling_imp: :smiling_imp: :smiling_imp: :sunglasses:

nianiamh:
[

Oh what a neat little Mickey. That looks like them with a load of tinplate. I used to do lots of that stuff from Velindre, maybe I did use them. Although they weren’t the only hauliers backloading from there.

Salut, David.

and Springfield Haulage?

How could I forget them? My Mother was transport manager at Howden for many years

nianiamh:

Spardo:
I remember Gobowen Transport ads in ‘Headlight’ in the 60s and 70s for return loads. Don’t think I ever used them though. Same one?

Salut, David.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

:smiling_imp: :smiling_imp: :smiling_imp: :sunglasses:

The Foden is from Direct Transport of Gobowen. I think that the Gobowen Transport who used to advertise backloads were actually in Liverpool

Yup Gobowen Transport were on Rimrose Road in Bootle, directly opposite what is now the Lexus dealership. Their premises are now a tent showroom belonging to Outdoor World.

marky:
Yup Gobowen Transport were on Rimrose Road in Bootle, directly opposite what is now the Lexus dealership. Their premises are now a tent showroom belonging to Outdoor World.

I should have known that you’d know!