Old Daf Euro 2 - keep or not?

I’ve got a Y reg Daf 45 150 Euro 2 - glorious if rather sluggish drivetrain but the cab is shot. It sits under a horsebox.

The choice is to do a a cab swap or switch to a slightly newer chassis (remember I spend all my money on horses)!

Any views?

I rather like the idea of staying in the pre-sensor world.

If I go modern (sic) another Daf would be my first chocie - but the Midlum seems much the same but less popular - thus more bang for your buck.

Thoughts and wise words please!

Get a Euro 3 LF ,no ad-blue ,and not full of sensors …I understand what you mean by recabnig a Euro 2 45 as it’s only real failing was the handbrake cables ,and throttle cable seizing…Can you get a descent cab though.The LF is a bit more maintainance ,stubs need regular greasing and the front wheel bearings require regular checks

I can’t see it would make sense unless you already a had a decent cab lying around.

Don’t know if you’ve done one before, or not, but a cab swap is more work than it looks. At that age a lot of fasteners will be either too corroded to re-use or get mangled getting them off and can add up surprisingly.

I wouldn’t be too tempted by the Midlum Daf or Iveco best choice in the 7.5t sector.

It’s a fair bit of work, but these guys supplied a new cab for us

cabmasters.com

Denis - good idea, had thought of it already. If you add in labour rates the new chassis route becomes more compelling, but I guess I could do the bulk of the fitting up myself.

Could I pick your brains on best approach (e.g. fit cab then do trim or the other way around) and things which are likely to prove cussed please?

Easiest if you drop me a pm or email?

Thanks…

You say the cab is shot, but have you had any quotes for refurbishment of the existing cab? You would have a choice then of how much further you want to go beyond getting it MOT safe.

Cav, thanks - but it really is a piece of Swiss cheese. Been there before with cars - tempting but it’s feeneeshed.

Moving the debate on - looking at new chassis, I’ve seen a very clean looking MAN 8.163 - any views?

Might start a seperate post…

Wat ever you do keep it and do it up I just bought a 57 plate wat a load of crap no power ad blue problems it is a real minter to look at luckily I kept my old one and I will rehab it and spend money over the next few months .2001plate they are tippers you put 3 ton on the new one it dies my old one pulls like a train how the hell this is called progress back to the old fashion way I say regards rowly

I can’t remember, but I have a nagging feeling that your old DAF is on drum brakes which is not what you will be finding on the more modern replacement DAF, Iveco and MAN vehicles. If you haven’t had a disc braked 7.5t lorry before be aware that once these have a few miles on them then brake maintenance will most certainly feature in your expenditure. Do not park such a vehicle in a damp field. The old shape Iveco cab has a flexible hydraulic pipe for the cab tilt ram connected to the telescopic gear linkage, if this fails you are in trouble - getting at it with the cab down is… Hopefully the MAN 8163 has developed into a better vehicle than it was 10 years ago when I last worked on them, but I don’t recall ever getting away when replacing the (short lived) clutches without having to renew the very expensive flywheel as well. The compressor on the Tector/Paccar engine in the later DAF and Iveco had problems with the valves, at the time it was actually cheaper to buy a complete s/exch compressor than an exchange cylinder head for one off the franchised dealer, but I can’t recall who was cheaper DAF or Iveco. This job alone reinforces the mantra for a horse box: ‘the cab must tilt’. Some of those who have tried running this engine on particularly home-mixed, bio diesel have wished they hadn’t. As for the 814 Merc it may do 70 legally, but not fully loaded into a headwind westbound on the M4 … more like 40.

cav551:
As for the 814 Merc it may do 70 legally, but not fully loaded into a headwind westbound on the M4 … more like 40.

I can vouch for that! :open_mouth: :laughing: