Old companys from stoke -on trent

Carl:
has anyone found some chapman ball photos yet they seem to be the one firm thats missing

080576.jpg

I was workshop foreman at Commercial Engineers, the FIAT agent that supplied all the FIATs to C&B.
When I left the garage trade I went to Brit European and started middle east. After two years I left Brits and went to C&B, and the first motor I had? a FIAT of course.
Unbreakable!
I had several motors whilst on C&B, including one trip in the infamous Mack, what a pile of ■■■■.
I flew out to Belgrade to take it over after Billy Hamm (RIP) had an accident and was hospitalized, loaded for Dahran.
When I got back I was asked if I wanted to keep the motor! NO THANKS!

pyewacket947v:

Carl:
has anyone found some chapman ball photos yet they seem to be the one firm thats missing

This 5MW-cabbed ERF went down to the Middle East for them. Anyone know for sure whether it was LHD or RHD? Robert
1426326_close.jpg

robert1952:

pyewacket947v:

Carl:

This 5MW-cabbed ERF went down to the Middle East for them. Anyone know for sure whether it was LHD or RHD? Robert0

Hiya… Robert looking at the photo it looks like there are more mirrors on the right side of the cab suggesting its a left ■■■■■■
the N/S mirror angle would say LHD i think the angle would be less if it was RHD…
John

3300John:

robert1952:

pyewacket947v:

Carl:

This 5MW-cabbed ERF went down to the Middle East for them. Anyone know for sure whether it was LHD or RHD? Robert0

Hiya… Robert looking at the photo it looks like there are more mirrors on the right side of the cab suggesting its a left ■■■■■■
the N/S mirror angle would say LHD i think the angle would be less if it was RHD…
John

Yeah, mirrors was the first thing I looked at. A bit vague this one! Robert

bestbooties:
I was workshop foreman at Commercial Engineers, the FIAT agent that supplied all the FIATs to C&B.
When I left the garage trade I went to Brit European and started middle east. After two years I left Brits and went to C&B, and the first motor I had? a FIAT of course.
Unbreakable!
I had several motors whilst on C&B, including one trip in the infamous Mack, what a pile of [zb].
I flew out to Belgrade to take it over after Billy Hamm (RIP) had an accident and was hospitalized, loaded for Dahran.

Am I right in thinking Commercial Engineers is/was at Sneyd Hill ? Some of the fitters from Chatfields Ford dealers in Hanley started this venture ( I think I’m right here !) Do the names Ron Evans, Alan Webb and John ? mean anything ?

Johnny51

johnny51:

bestbooties:
Unbreakable!
I had several motors whilst on C&B, including one trip in the infamous Mack, what a pile of [zb].

Am I right in thinking Commercial Engineers is/was at Sneyd Hill ? Some of the fitters from Chatfields Ford dealers in Hanley started this venture ( I think I’m right here !) Do the names Ron Evans, Alan Webb and John ? mean anything ?

Johnny51

Yes indeed!
I followed Ron Evans into the foremans job at Chatfields when he left along with John Mountford? to kick start Commercial Engineers, they originally had a place at Cheadle to start off with while they were having a new place built on Sneyd Hill.
I worked a short while for them in Cheadle, then went back to driving, then when they moved to Sneyd Hill I went back as night shift foreman.
When I left them at Cheadle, I went back to Work for Vic Wild, (The Wild Group), when he was offering to set up drivers as o/d’s, renting you a truck and trailer, backing you for your own Operators Licence and financing your start up.
Before I left C/E I mentioned this to Allan Webb and although he’d never been a trucker, always a fitter, he thought this was the life for him, after two weeks he jacked in, couldn’t hack it!
The owner driver scheme was too good to be true, I’ve told this story on another thread, the only one intended to make money out of the o/d scheme was Vic Wild! I got to working direct for Heavy Transport out of Cornwall being paid direct at better rates than Vic Wild could get as all his work for them was second or third hand!
Because I refused to pay him a bigger cut he had me park up my almost new DAF 2600, but I told him I would rather park up than be shafted by him!

I thought I was right ! I started at Chat’s in 1967 until 1979 ( I worked in the car shop ).
I remember Ron Brown and also Richard Taplin were foremen in the truck shop at some point.
I think there were others, but it was all a long time ago !

johnny51:
I thought I was right ! I started at Chat’s in 1967 until 1979 ( I worked in the car shop ).
I remember Ron Brown and also Richard Taplin were foremen in the truck shop at some point.

I worked on permanent nights in the truck shop, the commercial truck manager was Ron Brown, top man was Les English.
I was there from '69 to '71.
The dayshift foreman was a short guy with a ginger beard Jeff, ?
The nightshift foreman in the car shop was Stan Machin who died very suddenly with no warning, no illness, just didn’t turn up one night.
Who was the horrible pillock that did the car recovery, tried to say all the truck breakdowns we got were thanks to him and his close association with the police, even sticking his nose into how I should do a truck recovery.

bestbooties:

johnny51:

I worked on permanent nights in the truck shop, the commercial truck manager was Ron Brown, top man was Les English.
The nightshift foreman in the car shop was Stan Machin who died very suddenly with no warning, no illness, just didn’t turn up one night.
Who was the horrible pillock that did the car recovery, tried to say all the truck breakdowns we got were thanks to him and his close association with the police, even sticking his nose into how I should do a truck recovery.

Ayup Ian, when I started at Chat’s, I was in the truck shop ( Les English set me on, he was a mate of my uncle).
Tom Bunting was the manager then ( don’t know if you knew him), but I was only 16 years old, and basically knew bugger all !
Anyway, about a month later, I was promptly sacked by him, for apparently not pulling my weight !
No one had told me what to do, and I was not put to work with a skilled fitter, so I was floundering basically !
I’ve got a very good idea who dropped me in it, but it still really pi>>es me off after nearly 50 years thinking about it !
My Dad went ballistic, and went to see the top manager, Bernard Bradbury, who then got me into the car shop.
(My main love and interest has always been trucks, and still is by the way !!)

Anyway, I digress ! Re " the horrible pillock " ! We are of course talking about Ken Boulton, who really thought he was God’s gift to women !
When he wasn’t leching over the female customers in the reception, it was the poor office girl’s who came in for his attention !
All the fitters hated him ( he called everyone "son ", regardless of there age ) !
He drove a white Volvo P100 ( re The Saint ), and in his tiny mind, he thought of himself as some sort of international ■■■■■■■ !!
He lived up Clayton by the Gatehouse pub ( hardly St. Tropez )!!
After Chat’s, I worked as a mechanic for the Police, and more than one copper mentioned " that pr*ck recovery driver at Chatfield’s "

Sorry, but I cant place you in the truck shop, but was the day chap Jeff Millward, who drove a blue MGB ?

Re Stan Machin, I was one of his apprentices, and a finer man you could ever wish to meet !
He never bollocked you if you made a mistake, and always went out of his way to help in anyway he could.
The way I heard it was, he suffered a massive, fatal asthma attack. He had been to the hospital the day before, and given a clean bill of health !!

Sorry to ramble on, but it’s nice to speak to someone from the old days !

John

pete smith:
Smith and Morris Standon Mill,brown motors, don’t know if they still going?
Edit,pic off e-bay

Yes they are, but they’re called Young’s Animal Feeds now, and still at Standon mill.

johnny51:

pete smith:
Edit,pic off e-bay

Yes they are, but they’re called Young’s Animal Feeds now, and still at Standon mill.

Thanks for that Johnny, last time I saw a Smith and Morris motor it was either a FL6 or a Cargo,well it is getting on for 25+ years ago!

pete smith:

johnny51:

pete smith:
Edit,pic off e-bay

Thanks for that Johnny, last time I saw a Smith and Morris motor it was either a FL6 or a Cargo,well it is getting on for 25+ years ago!

Hi Pete, as you are from Wolverhampton, would you have any info on Staffordshire Farmers, who we’re based in Eagle Street ; ie what happened to them ? Did they go bust or bought out or what ?
My next door neighbour drove for them in 1965, at their Shelton, Stoke on Trent depot. They gave him a brand new Albion Claymore 4 wheel flat, which was finished in white, with blue lettering, as opposed to their usual green livery.
Even after all these years, I still regret not having the courage to ask him to take me out on trips with him !
He used to bring it home every night, and park it outside our house ( gorgeous, malty cattle feed smell !!).

John

johnny51:

pete smith:

johnny51:

pete smith:
Edit,pic off e-bay

Hi Pete, as you are from Wolverhampton, would you have any info on Staffordshire Farmers, who we’re based in Eagle Street ; ie what happened to them ? Did they go bust or bought out or what ?
My next door neighbour drove for them in 1965, at their Shelton, Stoke on Trent depot. They gave him a brand new Albion Claymore 4 wheel flat, which was finished in white, with blue lettering, as opposed to their usual green livery.
Even after all these years, I still regret not having the courage to ask him to take me out on trips with him !
He used to bring it home every night, and park it outside our house ( gorgeous, malty cattle feed smell !!).

John

Hi John,
I worked for J.N Millers in Wolverhampton,they were animal feed manufacturers also, Staffordshire Farmers was based in Eagle Street,all demolished now,I can remember them having a depot on Avon road Cannock as well as one in Market Drayton, I THINK they called it a day in the late 80’s, last motor’s they ran was Leylands, Freighter 16 ton flats as well as 6 and 8 legger Constructor’s with bulk blowers fitted and if I remember correctly most had alloy wheels as well. I used to do a fair few deliveries when at Millers in to Williamsons at Endon, Cheer’s Pete

johnny51:

bestbooties:

johnny51:

Ayup Ian, when I started at Chat’s, I was in the truck shop ( Les English set me on, he was a mate of my uncle).
Tom Bunting was the manager then ( don’t know if you knew him), but I was only 16 years old, and basically knew bugger all !
Anyway, about a month later, I was promptly sacked by him, for apparently not pulling my weight !
No one had told me what to do, and I was not put to work with a skilled fitter, so I was floundering basically !
I’ve got a very good idea who dropped me in it, but it still really pi>>es me off after nearly 50 years thinking about it !
My Dad went ballistic, and went to see the top manager, Bernard Bradbury, who then got me into the car shop.
(My main love and interest has always been trucks, and still is by the way !!)

Anyway, I digress ! Re " the horrible pillock " ! We are of course talking about Ken Boulton, who really thought he was God’s gift to women !
When he wasn’t leching over the female customers in the reception, it was the poor office girl’s who came in for his attention !
All the fitters hated him ( he called everyone "son ", regardless of there age ) !
He drove a white Volvo P100 ( re The Saint ), and in his tiny mind, he thought of himself as some sort of international ■■■■■■■ !!
He lived up Clayton by the Gatehouse pub ( hardly St. Tropez )!!
After Chat’s, I worked as a mechanic for the Police, and more than one copper mentioned " that pr*ck recovery driver at Chatfield’s "

Sorry, but I cant place you in the truck shop, but was the day chap Jeff Millward, who drove a blue MGB ?

Re Stan Machin, I was one of his apprentices, and a finer man you could ever wish to meet !
He never bollocked you if you made a mistake, and always went out of his way to help in anyway he could.
The way I heard it was, he suffered a massive, fatal asthma attack. He had been to the hospital the day before, and given a clean bill of health !!

Sorry to ramble on, but it’s nice to speak to someone from the old days !

John

Ken Boulton,yes that was the ■■■■■■■■ that no one could stand.
Yes Jeff Millward was the day shift foreman, didn’t like getting his hands dirty if I remember.
His girlfriend lived in The Traveller’s Rest pub in Bucknall, they had never been abroad before so my wife and I rented a touring caravan and took them on a tour of Germany.
Can’t recall many names from those days at short notice, one name was Dereck Hargreaves, I think he’s recently passed away.

Hi Ian, the name Derek Hargreaves rings a bell, was he the truck shop manager who commuted from Coventry every day ?
Here’s a few names you might recall:
Stan Brunt and his sidekick Ken Morrel, who both worked in the MOT shed.
John Howard, sort of a fitter/receptionist.
Freddie Cope, little, rotund guy who worked in reception along with Eric Bailey.
Fitters - Ivan Taylor, John " Pixie" Smith, Mick Banks, Paul " Tot" Totterdell, Tony Greensmith,.
Cyril Hammond.
I’m sure there were a few more, but it was a long time ago!

Do you remember the office secretary, Kath ? Nutty as a fruit cake, but a real dolly bird and a good laugh !
I drove past the old premises the other day. What a sad, pathetic site, all caused through bad management.

John

johnny51:
Hi Ian, the name Derek Hargreaves rings a bell, was he the truck shop manager who commuted from Coventry every day ?
Here’s a few names you might recall:
Stan Brunt and his sidekick Ken Morrel, who both worked in the MOT shed.
John Howard, sort of a fitter/receptionist.
Freddie Cope, little, rotund guy who worked in reception along with Eric Bailey.
Fitters - Ivan Taylor, John " Pixie" Smith, Mick Banks, Paul " Tot" Totterdell, Tony Greensmith,.
Cyril Hammond.
I’m sure there were a few more, but it was a long time ago!

Do you remember the office secretary, Kath ? Nutty as a fruit cake, but a real dolly bird and a good laugh !
I drove past the old premises the other day. What a sad, pathetic site, all caused through bad management.

John

John,
No mate, Dereck Hargreaves was a local lad and was a good truck fitter, I last saw him e few years ago in the Middleport filling station, but not able to speak to him, but I’m sure I saw his obit in The Sentinel within the last couple of years.
Ken Morrell was mates with Dave Collett, a stout lad from Cheadle, and Cyril Hammond I remember.

pete smith:

Remember that old motor ,it finished up as a bulk tanker , thank you Trtevor

Not been all the way thro’ this thread so hopefully these are fresh on here, snapped at Wetley Rocks earlier this year, thanks to Glosters.
Oily