Old Bedfordshire hauliers

Started my driving career in Bedfordshire in the late 60s and can remember a load of local firms from those days most of whom at some time loaded from London Brick .I worked for E Hull and others i remember were
AER Inskip
BH King
EH Lobb
AA Samm
Welches
CC Breed
CA&CE Howard
Freddie Ray
Somebody on here will remember these and loads more i have not mentioned

AA Samm… Cattle transporters, he went to New Zealand to live… from Flitwick / Ampthill mini roundabout area…

Hedley Lobb (EH Lobb) Clophill / Maulden… Commer man… One of his vehicles is shown at some shows, it was at Jacks Hill Cafe the other week, looking very good.

Summerfields of Maulden… Commer men

Regards
Andy

GABERIL WADE ENGLISH. TIMBER MERCHANTS.

Robinson’s of Sandy

A better one of the Robinson’s truck now his neighbour’s gone (at Heston services eastbound):

Am I right in thinking Robinson’s were originally from Potters Bar ?

Yes…Tony.

My first job as a long distance lorry driver was for Welches out of the Henlow depot. Then I worked for J Jordans the flour millers driving a Dodge artic before going to BRS at Bedford where I learnt the ancient Bedfordshire art of handling bloody bricks.

I also worked for Welches at Henlow from 74-77 when they had the Atkies and Guy Big Js .Not the best of jobs with Mr Smith the managers attitude. Changed jobs in those days regularly and spent the last 16 years before retiring at Jack Richards .

BRS FH66:
My first job as a long distance lorry driver was for Welches out of the Henlow depot. Then I worked for J Jordans the flour millers driving a Dodge artic before going to BRS at Bedford where I learnt the ancient Bedfordshire art of handling bloody bricks.

my father worked there for a while in the sixties.he got given a brand new Bedford tk artic (c reg so 1965).had a very bad accident in it when it was only a couple of weeks old-a woman in a mini was overtaking something coming the other way and smashed head on into it at speed.my father threw the anchors on and had almost managed to completely stop but she never even braked.she very nearly died,but pulled through eventually.he left soon after because of the ■■■■ attitude of the management

eric the judge:
I also worked for Welches at Henlow from 74-77 when they had the Atkies and Guy Big Js .Not the best of jobs with Mr Smith the managers attitude. Changed jobs in those days regularly and spent the last 16 years before retiring at Jack Richards .

I remember the manager, When you came in the yard, he would be standing on the steps outside of his office shouting at you. While he was an ■■■■■■■, he never queried the hours you booked and paid them on time.

Hulls of Bedford Think they is a thread on here for them?