Oil on site

OK in our fleet we have Iveco, Renault and MAN artic tractors and rigids. Also Peugeot, Renault and Mercedes vans.

I’ve looked into having some engine oil on site just for topping up purposes. However I’ve been advised that each manufacturer stipulates what oil to use these days with the wrong oil being an excuse to invalidate a warranty. I can’t be sending a wagon into the dealership for an oil top up but its also impractical to keep 12 different types of oil around the place (and make sure the right stuff is used :unamused: :unamused: ). Normally this is covered by the 6 weekly PMI, but it still crops up occasionally.

What do you do?

We just have the one bulk supply. Our fleet is a mixture of MAN rigid + artics, Iveco 7.5T and artics, and a mixture of Peugeot and VW vans. Plus of course we get a motley selection of hired lorries of various brands (but their warranty status doesn’t concern us).

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk

Our fitter has a drum of oil for our MANs and Iveco s
And gets 25ltr for the Mercs

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Two most important things are low or medium SAPS (to stop PM filters getting choked), and the ICEA classification
ICEA followed by E and a number.

If you can find one oil that meets each vehicle type requirements, then go for it.

But good luck…we’ve got two cars: a Ford petrol and a Peugeot diesel, and there is no one oil that will do both.

And I’ve got 3 four-stroke motorbikes, which need 2 different oils between them, and a four-stroke lawnmower which needs another oil.

But all the strimmers, chainsaws etc have to make do with what I put in my two-stroke motorcycle…they seem happy enough on 50:1 full-synthetic race oil in Super Unleaded!

Might be worth contacting independent oil suppliers like Millers Fuchs or Morris, tell them what vehicles/engines you have and see if they can come up with an approved oil or maybe two types at the most to cover the fleet, then when you have the reference numbers they suggest (ie MAN 1567, that isn’t a real oil ref just an example) double check with the dealers if that number is compatible.

We have 2 different oils, all labelled well which vehicles they apply to.

Labelled well they won’t get mixed up by plonkers, who don’t bother about minor stuff like checking levels…anecdote, my record for topping up a vehicle is some 4 gallons in a Volvo FL, couldn’t bloody believe it, that same vehicle finally blew up several months later and when it was checked the sump was almost empty, normal driver (wheel attendant) sacked.

^^^^^

This is the way to go. These are companies who will sell you what you want rather than what they have got.

This seems interesting enough if you like Total Oils

total.co.uk/lub-advisor

catalogue.total.co.uk/en-gb/pro … 0-FE-5W-30