Oil in water

The Renault that i drive has a major engine problem namely oil in the water not a little but a lot .Take the cap off the header tank and its oil that comes out it also uses some water as well .The boss own account dont care about truck it will go untill it stops. What i would like to know is how the oil gets into the water the Renault is a year 2000 400Dci only done around 600000km is it headgasket or something else

Head gasket buddy oil in water and water in engine, check the colour of the oil on dipstick if light brown it’s knackered

When cold the oil is black as usual but after running the engine there is a gray tint to the oil which is the water in the sump mixing with the oil .

Could be the cylinder head gasket but could also be the compressor. It would probably cost far more to repair than it is worth, and when it finally does go ■■■■ up then it’s your boss’s problem, not yours, so I’d say “Crack on Driver!” :stuck_out_tongue:

Not head gasket ! It’s the oil cooler on filter head ,it splits mixing oil with water
If it was head gasket it would be other way around

Does that truck run the volvo engine?
Had oil in water in volvo, it was injector sleeves.

Oil in the coolant could be a cracked head or head gasket, compressor, oil cooler or gearbox oil cooler.

Unless someone has poured oil in the wrong hole, then the most likely problem is that the oil cooler has failed. The fault will not just go away. If this is not attended to then it has the potential to end up in engine failure. At the same time as the radiator is filling up with oil so is the sump emptying of oil. The coolant will eventually stop circulating effectively, the radiator gill tubes will block up with what will resemble soft grease and so will all the other coolant passages. The longer it is left the more time the repair takes to do and the more parts are involved, hence the more expensive it becomes.

A 2000 reg vehicle is not worth a lot of money, but a recovery from a distant motorway, alternative arrangements for the load, its late delivery, the upset customers and the difficulty of re-arranging the next week’s deliveries, all just as the boss was about to sneak off for a naughty one with his secretary might make some forward planning an idea.

Obviously it is the boss who makes the ultimate decision since it is his motor .

Here is some photos of a failed oil cooler that finished it’s run first ,all the pictures show areas where it should be nice clean coolant flowing …Not surprisingly it got a new radiator …But getting rid of the gunk takes a bit of work ,with the oil cooler ,radiator and water pump removed most of the crap in the block can be removed with the pressure cleaner,even the compressor needs a blast as does the heater matrix ,just disconnect the pipes and give it short blasts till it clears .obviously the chassis needs a good clean,as anyone who has done a failed oil cooler will testify it is a dirty job…once you have cleaned the majority of it ,you can then use the appropriate cleaner to get rid of the gunk you couldn’t get to …I have heard soap powder is excellent ,though I can not remember if it is bio or non bio :confused: :confused: …Once happy replace any suspect soft hoses

Constantly adding things into the coolant circuit always seems like quite lazy design from an engineering point of view really.

It’s non bio washing powder that cleans it.

bigvern1:
It’s non bio washing powder that cleans it.

Thanks bigvern I can never remember

The owner sounds a right zb, look for another job now before you have to. :slight_smile: