Oil checking on a stralis

Does anyone know how to check the oil level as part of your daily checks on a Iveco Stralis…■■?

Originally i thought it was done by self checking and…also displayed on the initial screen…but this is actually the oil pressure…

I only ask this…cos i got caught out the other day…just pulled off a bay at Southampton Tesco’s…when PING…up comes a red warning…“Oil Low”…luck has it the guys in the onsite garage were kind enough to give us some…(trust me u would go to someplaces n’ they’d be ■■■■■ about it)…
Putting the oil in was another challenge though…some clever bod designer…decided u had to tilt the cab completely up and over…just to climb on top of the engine to put oil in…(I’m not even going to bother ■■■■■ about that…waste of dots!!!)…

What has surprise me though is…if the oil level is done by a self checking system…why doesn’t an amber warning come up…to give u plenty of warning…I could have been anywhere…

Still had a good search around the menu…but can’t find any displayed info on the oil level.

And do anyone know how to keep the night heater on full blast permanently…set it to 29’c (max)…and it has this auto on/off sensor…luck has it i was in my sleeping bag…had i’d been watching TV or something else…would have frozen…
Sorry like my cab tropical :sunglasses: :sunglasses: :sunglasses: :sunglasses: :sunglasses: :sunglasses:

The oil check is in fact that initial screen - but the truck has to be at a standstill for 30 minutes for it to show. The other way is to just raise the cab far enough to get your arm in to the dip, which you can get to just through the O/S wheelarch.

That dreaded light will come up all the time whether you need oil or not - they have a really over-sensitive sensor on. Basically as soon as the oil gets to dead between maximum and minimum on gauge or dip it’ll show, and can be safely ignored for a while as long as you establish that the level is in fact as above. It’ll come up for the hell of it sometimes, too. My 03 plate did it last week. I dipped it, and it was just below max, so I ignored it and once it’d sat overnight it went away. We have a 56 plate that does the same, already. Just keep an eye on the pressure until it does, to be sure.

Basically, the way to tell if any Stralis warning light is for real is to turn whatever it is warning you about on and off a couple of times, 9 times out of ten the light will vanish.

The night heater’s thermostatic, hence cutting in and out. It does take a while for it to notice it’s gone cold though. I find that if you leave the roof open a crack it seems to stay on, but that may just be coincidence and is, obviously, no good when it’s raining!
It also has a timer, so make sure that’s set to the maximum 9 hours on the bed module, and if necessary stop and start it before you doze off so it’ll stay on whilst you kip.

The internal electrics cutout will stay on for longer if you press it multiple times, btw. Daft but true. Also make sure the fridge isn’t turned down too cold, as that’ll drain the battery really quick and cause yet another cut-out to kick in during the night.

Yeah, I know, poxy design. :unamused: :wink: :grimacing:

Hope that helps.

It gets them extra business supplying new engines…the older ivecos were the same! :confused:

And when the fuse for the cab tilt blows because you have got multiple bungies holding the cardboard wind deflectors to the chasis and forgot to take them off there ensues much head scratching as to why it won’t tilt anymore.

Gotta be the only wagon you have to tilt the cab to put oil in. Italian design at it’s finest.

same problem with our new mans, one minute it shows no oil , the next overfilled, one of them showed min before driver left for scotland, filled up and when he got there warning came uo overfiled[ words to thay effect] had to be taken to dealer and some drained out. why they cant put a dipstick to check i dont know.

The …dipstick… is just …behind the… near side… rear inner …wheel… itsa very difficult … …to spot unless you …know where it is theres… … a picture in the manual but its not very good… :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink:

I thought the dipstick in an Iveco was…wait for it…BEHIND THE STEERING WHEEL!!!

Seriously though.

I found on the older Ivecos,that if you put full lock on to the left,let the oil settle,and then reach for the dipstick in the wheelarch,it is a bit easier to get to.It may well be the same for the Stralis,if it is indeed in the same place.

Ken.

Don’t know why you’d bother - let the poxy thing seize - it’ll be one more off the road.

:smiling_imp: :smiling_imp: :smiling_imp:

For a while, at least!!

:wink:

Checking Iveco oil

Right look underneath, if there is a sizable pool of oil on the floor, throw a couple of litres in for good luck, it might get you to your destination if your lucky!! :laughing: :laughing:

My question is what is wrong with the humble dipstick, and why hide it under the cab? :open_mouth:

Flying…i would if it was an MAN… :smiling_imp: :smiling_imp: :smiling_imp: :smiling_imp: :smiling_imp: :smiling_imp: :smiling_imp: :smiling_imp: :smiling_imp: :smiling_imp: :smiling_imp: :smiling_imp: :smiling_imp:

Discopete:
My question is what is wrong with the humble dipstick, and why hide it under the cab? :open_mouth:

I agree Pete. Today I had to drive an 03 plate Scania, and it was so refreshing to just be able to dip the oil and not have to fanny about going through endless menus and sub-menus to then be told ‘Level Not Available’.

I’m usually one to embrace new ideas - particularly when they make life a tad easier, but I really can’t see any advantage with electronic oil level checks. Just brings lots of complications.

My Actros last week told me it wanted two litres of oil. I put one litre in and checked it again. Ever since it has been displaying red warning lights and the warning message ---- ‘Oil Level >MAX!!’

:open_mouth:

I’m like ‘For God’s sake! What do you want?!?!?!’ :confused: :confused: :confused:

Other than this - it’s perfect. :wink:

flying_fenman:

Discopete:

I agree Pete. Today I had to drive an 03 plate Scania, and it was so refreshing to just be able to dip the oil and not have to fanny about going through endless menus and sub-menus to then be told ‘Level Not Available’.

I’m usually one to embrace new ideas - particularly when they make life a tad easier, but I really can’t see any advantage with electronic oil level checks. Just brings lots of complications.

My Actros last week told me it wanted two litres of oil. I put one litre in and checked it again. Ever since it has been displaying red warning lights and the warning message ---- ‘Oil Level >MAX!!’

:open_mouth:

I’m like ‘For God’s sake! What do you want?!?!?!’ :confused: :confused: :confused:

Other than this - it’s perfect. :wink:

lol… we have had loads of incidence of this with the mercs, if the dash says minus 1ltr, it actually means it has 1ltr too much in not short. we had a driver try to put about 5/6 litres in before phoning the mechanics o find out why it was so much oil short, when infact rather embarassingly for him it was over on all the whole time

OOH come we know your an agency driver and never check :laughing: :laughing:
as said before its an iveco who cares :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

bagpuss:
OOH come we know your an agency driver and never check :laughing: :laughing:

Don’t be silly, we always check everything very carefully as it adds time to the job. :smiley: :smiley: Regular drivers come in and are away in minutes, agency driver takes at least 30 minutes checking. :wink: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

30 minutes■■? :open_mouth:

That’s far too quick man.

You’re supposed to find a defect,take it to be repaired,and waste some more time,and rack up the pound notes. :smiley:

Ken.

Quinny:
30 minutes■■? :open_mouth:

That’s far too quick man.

I said at least 30 minutes. Couple of weeks ago at Asda I managed to stretch it to over 2 hours. :wink: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: Defected 1st unit due to cracked nearside mirror glass = VOR, got to mirrors after spending a nice amount of time on the other checks first. :wink: :smiley: :stuck_out_tongue: Second unit had problems with ABS lead and had it repaired and then had problem with trailer lights so had the sorted as well. :wink: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

Oh, did I mention this was on a Saturday as well? :smiley: :smiley: