Oh, the joys

of being an agency driver, Don’t get me wrong, I love the job… BUT … I started last night at 8pm, finished at 6am this morning, got home and washed and had a bite to eat and in bed by 7.30am (45 mins drive from work)… woke up and got out of my pit at 1.15pm…that was 5hrs 45 mins sleep…ten mins later at 1.25 the agency is on the phone, “do you fancy doing this run at 3pm ■■?”“”… WELL ERRRRRR, ACTUALLY,NO, I DON’T… that is why i am typing this at 8pm tonight…

pub then :question: :laughing:

Yes agencies expect you to drop everything at a moments notice.

But they are a great way of getting experience.

Just bend over and take it like a man…thats wot there like my old mate…use and abuse.

Yes, but you can say “no” to an agency. Try saying “no” to your boss.

That’s the appeal for me. I work hard for them, but when its my time it’s my time, and if it doesn’t suit me to work, I don’t.

Okay, so if you don’t work you don’t get paid, but if you can get to grips with this, and plan carefully with your money it’s a much more flexible lifestyle.

I also like not getting emotionally involved with wherever I am working, as has a tendency to happen when employed. As an agency driver you can just do your best, and if it still all goes biscuit shaped, you can just shrug your shoulders at the end of the day and not worry about it.

Every cloud.

I don’t do a 9 hour gap unless I know in advance!

Phoning someone up during their 9 hour “absolute minimum legal rest” means that the rest has been disturbed. The call might of kicked you out of bed after all!

Nothing is worse than driving tired.

Winseer:

Phoning someone up during their 9 hour “absolute minimum legal rest” means that the rest has been disturbed. The call might of kicked you out of bed after all!

your not kidding agency did same thing to me told them that not doing it they got really funny after putting phone down and them sayng i let them down they may not find me more work twenty mins later on phone to me again as only hiab trained driver they got pmsl

JJ192:

Winseer:

your not kidding agency did same thing to me told them that not doing it they got really funny after putting phone down and them sayng i let them down they may not find me more work twenty mins later on phone to me again as only hiab trained driver they got pmsl

That’s why I’ve decided that going hazardous all the way, even explosives is a soft option for my DCPC rather than getting a hiab ticket, and being harassed out of bed on my days off… :smiling_imp:

Around here, C+E typically pays around £1.50ph more than C1 Hiab. (I don’t think I’ve ever seen a C+E hiab, but I’m assured they are around if I look a bit harder. :blush: )

Multidrop Food and HIAB building deliveries (both C1) are widely available in these parts as regular shifts on days to suit.