Oh it must have been the lorry driver

Approx 3 weeks ago, I delivered 5 pallets to a hairdressing supplies shop on the Team Valley.

Fairly straightforward delivery. (Was down for a tail lift job on the job sheet.)

Was worried about one of them, the heaviest pallet, tipping off my tail lift.

So I asked if they had access to a forklift or if not would they mind if I split the pallet down and handballed it off.

There was a small discussion and then a manageress appeared. She appeared to be most put out that I had asked for help and after I had explained to her my concern she despatched a staff member to go fetch a forklift from the neighbouring unit.

In the meantime I had managed to get the aforemetioned pallet on the tail lift and from there on to the ground.

The forklift driver appeared and I thnked him for his now not needed assistance.

The delivery went off quite well (as far as they can do, you know?)

So imagine my suprise later that day when my boss contacted me and said there was a complaint that I had damaged someones car at the 5 paalet drop.

ABSOLUTE ■■■■■■■■ :imp: was my reply. No way have I, did I, or could I have hit ANYTHING at that drop was my further repsonse.

Ok said my Boss. See ya. :laughing:

But have these people let it lie? Nooooooooo. :angry:

First it was my lorry, then it was a white van, then a ‘witness’ has appeared and said he/she saw me do the damage whilst moving a pallet!!!

The damage by the way is a ‘scratched and dislocated bumper.’ :open_mouth:

How the hell can I dislocate a bloody bumper with a pallet and not realise it■■? :astonished:

And that I ‘couldn’t wait to get out of there’ thus implying I am dishonest and attempting to cover up my ‘accident.’ :imp:

Utter crapola. :exclamation:

So now my boss and I have been instructed to go to the place and speak to the woman making these allegations.

Whats next I wonder, I grabbed her arse, sucked a lollipop in an unacceptable manner and made ■■■■■■■■ suggestive comments to her■■?

She found the way I got in my wagon to be over masculine and therefore an invasion of her feminine space?

Perhaps a witness will come forward and say they heard me ■■■■ at the Metrocentre 20 mis later and that because of that I MUST be guilty.

I am SO annoyed, and given my disposition to extreme sarcasm, (No idea where that comes from either) have been forbidden from speaking unless spoken to by my boss upon pain of sacking.

I just wonder, is it normal for damage to be discovered and the nearest available lorry driver to be blamed?

go along and simply say ‘prove it’. if it wasnt you, she has nothing further to say or do :sunglasses:

Satellite Tracking!!!

Its the answer. I used to work in the transport office for a large company. I’d get 2 or 3 people a day claiming on the insurance. Some were genuine but most were try ons.

“Your lorry just hit me”.

“When”

“About 3 minutes ago”

“Where are you”

“A1, nr York”

“Oh, that lorry is RG34 1BA. Was it all green with blue writing.”

“Yeah thats the one”

“Wasnt one of ours then”

I miss that job.

A couple of months ago I rolled back into the yard with a machine loaded on and the boss comes out and says he’s had a complaint from Mr X of ABC Contracts who we move machines for.

As he had been following me up the road, loads of stones were flying off the bed of the truck and one had chipped his windscreen. He told my boss to instruct me to sweep the back down before going on the road. However the boss was slightly puzzled to see it nice and clean and free of stones and mud (probably all flown off) It was probably a bit that had rattled off the machine which was actually quite clean.

I suggested to my boss that he should tell Mr X that we expect his machines to be fully steam cleaned by their driver before we load them.

matchbox:
I just wonder, is it normal for damage to be discovered and the nearest available lorry driver to be blamed?

Certainly is, it happened to me, then after I was able to prove otherwise and had been informed that the outcome had been recorded, it surfaced some months later after another alleged incident as a ‘well it has happened before’ comment.

matchbox:
So now my boss and I have been instructed to go to the place and speak to the woman making these allegations.

I hope your boss is as on the ball as one bloke I worked for. Similar kind of thing - alleged damage to a window frame in this example. Went to see said complainant who banged on for ages about it and they wanted compensating. They finally admitted that they weren’t being exactly truthful when we pulled the trailer round, showing the height of the hinges was WAY off the height of the gouges in the corrugated tin.

Boss told them that he was going to report them to the Police for attempting to extort money. You should have seen the colour drain from their faces.

Try and get your boss to mention that there are enough CCTV cameras covering the area to show exactly what went on and that making a false claim is fraud and a criminal offence which he would feel duty bound to report.

Well…

We went as per today and there we spoke to the manageress.

She changed her story 3 times AGAIN whilst we were there!

My favourite part was when I asked her where her witness was standing.

Over there she said… (Bear with me.)

Are you sure I asked. Yes said she!

I further asked her if she could remeber where my ‘van’ was parked.

YES said she.

Oh, said I, I just wonder how she could see through an 18 tonne white VAN then■■?

Line of sight you see… Had the alleged damage occurred where the ‘van’ was then it would have been impossible to have seen the pallet truck ‘collide’ with the car.

Then she got all defensive… we have been here for 11 years… blah blah blah.

My boss then said he had no further questions for me and allowed me to leave and he followed her in to her shop and afterward he told me…

She got even more arsey in the shop.

Then he said…

There was no way I was in any way shape or form responsible for the ‘damage’ on that car and that was that.

Case closed. So Mrs Shop Manageress though you will never read this, just incase you do,

STICK THAT UP YOUR HOOP AND PASS ME A CUBAN !!!

And thanks to all of you who voiced an opinion on this!

Andy.

I often go home for a skive if the day’s quiet, the boss knows as were trackered up,
1 day I have to drop the wagon off for service, and pick up the courtesy car to head back to base, via home for an hour of course,
I live in a cul de sac with a small turning area at the end, but big enough to 3 point turn the truck but at a squeeze if theres a few cars there which there generally aint,
At the end in the circle lives a bloke who really does hate me, But this day British gas were digging on the street so i parked the Courtesy car around the corner.

Goes back to work, having a brew and a chat and the gaffer calls me over,
“You been home G”
“Yeh, I dont bring a change of clothes to work” :laughing: I replied
“Some bloke on your estate is saying youve hit their car with your truck turning around”
“Is that the same truck thats in the garage being serviced, ask if the guys called Chris by the way”
so the boss goes
“Hi, just spoke to the driver, Are you called Chris”
Seconds of silence …
“Your a ■■■■■■■ muppet” SLAM goes the phone

:sunglasses: