Oh God!!!

I wish I hadn’t read this forum! I am booked in for my C+E in a couple of weeks and wasn’t worried until I came on here. There are loads of things I hadn’t even thought of. If experienced drivers still have problems reversing, how will I cope?

:open_mouth:

Seriously though, this site is a great source of info and it’s good to read that it’s not just me worrying about this stuff.

Btw, I used to spend a lot of time at Cambridge services. There seemed to be loads of drivers having problems parking there. I even saw some drivers turn round and head for the exit. Has anyone else had problems there, cos I know on my first day as a newly passed class 1 I will be on the A14 and be about to run out of hours and the place will be almost full up! :cry:

Welcome to trucknet,MATE :laughing:
All your questions and problems, prayers and aspirations will be answered through this site.
You need go nowhere else :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Hello & welcome to TN UK.
Don’t let the parking thing worry you too much, some of them can do it first time every time, no shunts, not ever. And then there’s us mere mortals.
Good luck with the test.

welcome to trucknet mate. Im a newbie too…well ive been on here since december so not a newbie newbie…but new enough…still only on a small amount of posts :frowning:

I just took my C&E test and believe me mate its not as hard as you think…i did fail but i put that down to human error :unamused: :laughing: i just went back a little too far into the hatched box on the reversing exersice and knocked the barrier at the back. SIlly old me! Re-test soon, dont worry about it though its actually not too hard…just enjoy every minute of it!!! :smiley:

Don’t worry about reversing to much, we’ve all been there. The services aren’t to bad if you find a space on your right but at bit more of a problem if you have to go in left on blind side. Can’t remember if you can spin round at the bottom to back in. If you are backing near me and look like you might be having problems, I’ll watch you in especially if it looks like you are about to hit my truck. :laughing:

Thanks for the words of encouragement.

I can’t wait to just pass the ■■■■ test! I am doing my training in a Scania with a range-change 8 speed box. Luckily I used a box like that in my old job, so got to grips with it quickly. I am sooo glad that I learned the hard way, having to STOP half- way up a steep hill cos I tried changing down too quick and it just jumped into neutral! It must be awful having to learn that as well as everything else in those few hours of lessons.

I had a go at reversing on my assesment. I spun round and pretty much reversed in straight, and it still confused me! Err, which hand down? I did mention to my instructor that I would like to have a go at reversing in from 90 degrees, and he said he’d run me through it, which will help.

Mark

welcome to trucknet m8,good luck with the test don’t worry about it,you’ll get there. :wink:

theghostofcain:
I wish I hadn’t read this forum! I am booked in for my C+E in a couple of weeks and wasn’t worried until I came on here. There are loads of things I hadn’t even thought of. If experienced drivers still have problems reversing, how will I cope?

On the test, the reversing exercise is always the same, and your trainer should have a specific method for getting you through (e.g. keep in full right lock until you can see this bolt, then full left lock and follow the line, etc.)

theghostofcain:
Btw, I used to spend a lot of time at Cambridge services. There seemed to be loads of drivers having problems parking there. I even saw some drivers turn round and head for the exit. Has anyone else had problems there, cos I know on my first day as a newly passed class 1 I will be on the A14 and be about to run out of hours and the place will be almost full up! :cry:

In real life, there’s a big difference - whilst you will have to plan out your own reverse, you’re allowed to get out and look as many times as you like. Plus you’re allowed to get other drivers to help you if they’re willing.

It doesn’t matter if it takes ages to get parked; just do it slowly so that you’re unlikely to hit anything, and if you do, you don’t damage it.

We all have to learn somewhere (including me - I’ve only reversed an artic twice since my test, and the second time I touched the trailer next door :frowning: )

theghostofcain:
Err, which hand down?

If you look in the mirrors & you can see the trailer & you want to go straight, steer in the direction of the mirror you can see the trailer in.

Welcome to trucknet theghostofcain and good luck
with the test :smiley: .

welcome to truck net :smiley:

Welcome to TrucknetUK theghostofcaine. The parking will come with experience, as will everything else. Good luck with your test and don’t be a stranger :wink:.

As has been metioned it better to spend a few extra minutes to get out have a look, or pull out and straighten up than hit another truck or something else :frowning:
You look a bigger idiot and end spending much longer than the time you saved appolgising to the other driver, phoning your boss and filling out the paper work.

Ah cambridge services, happy times.

You see the problem there is that drivers park one bay away from the next lorry and of course you get the driver that cant reverse that will struggle for ages to get backed in having to get in between two lorries and of course no other drivers want to help.

Personally I try to avoid it, but if you cant atleast get yourself into a position to not have to blind side reverse if you arent that good at reversing.