Oh dear!

This happened couple years ago,My mate was blowing the tank at the time stood right next to it had just turned to face away from it,He had some injuries to his back and some burns and spent some time in a scottish hospital,he was a lucky guy could of been lots worse,his nerves got the better of him and he packed in powder tanks shortly afterwards bless him…

Jesus :open_mouth: what happened there then failed pressure realease valve? Always worried me that did

No andy said he was only blowin at 1 and half bar just before he looked away so must of just ad a split inside,weve had few thats had splits/cracks in them but luckily been found on the pressure tests they regularly av now.

Oh dear indeed. :frowning:

That guy was quite lucky IMHO, cos that incident could so easily have turned out quite differently. :open_mouth:

It’s hard to tell from the detail in the photo, but were dangerous goods involved, or was it a non-haz cargo??

scary stuff!!! when i worked on cyril knowles out of llanwern on the powdered slag tankers, i heard of a driver who had a leaking hatch on top and was running at 2 bar .he got on top of the tank with a hammer and hit the t handles to tighten them and the hatch blew off and took his head off.made me very weary for sure and always kept an eye on the pressure guage.

Another tank with a minor problem

Volvofh16:

This happened couple years ago,My mate was blowing the tank at the time stood right next to it had just turned to face away from it,He had some injuries to his back and some burns and spent some time in a scottish hospital,he was a lucky guy could of been lots worse,his nerves got the better of him and he packed in powder tanks shortly afterwards bless him…

Its when you see photos like this you have to wonder why everywhere insists we are by the controls at all times.

Sniffy:

When getting the your load sucked off(oh er) always undo one of the top hatches or else(oops)

dowahdiddyman:

Sniffy:

When getting the your load sucked off(oh er) always undo one of the top hatches or else(oops)

That was a little trick they used to demonstrate with a sealed coke can on an ADR course :laughing: It is the reason you vent the tank back through the filter after steam cleaning too, especially with a sterile wash

The first picture is caused by excess pressure and the second one is caused by a vacuum.

youtube.com/watch?v=Zz95_VvTxZM

youtube.com/watch?v=Uy-SN5j1ogk

Wideboybob. I was shown pictures of a similar or the same incident, it was a Belgian driver with a Huktra pressure tank and a hammer. The reason they showed me the picture was that I had loaded from the same place in Hartlepool as the tank that killed him.

Wheel Nut, would take some hell of an amount of pressure for that to happen, and possibly a seriously brave driver not to report a defective pressure relief valve. There is another possibility, a few years ago the firm I worked for had a powder tank explode near the centre of London,cause a few million quid in damage, it had sucked methane in from a drain below and it split the tank it`s full length.
Whatever it was I hope it never happens to me.