Oh dear, Velcro and cruise control...Not Good!

Hello,

First post, been reading and mooching about the site for a while to get a feel for the place…as will become apparent i can have a sarcastic tone, please, take it all with a pinch of salt, as those that do know me will tell you, im a bit of a laugh and would help anyone, oh and any post i write, again, read it light heartedly, its not the bible for crying out loud and while im at it FYI, im dyslexic, no spellcheck on earth can save me, so forgive any typo

So who is this “Gel” mush writing all “War and peace” in his first post…

ok well, im Gel (apparently, the “Christening” was fun!!)
Ive done the rounds for 30 yrs with 25 of those on international work and i consider my self a fairi’sh driver, though some peer,s have a different opinion :unamused:
Those that know me know i talk straight and do not suffer an idiot lightly. I dont judge those that know better or think they know better and I openly admit to having run “Bent” in times of yor, (If you ever worked for a loopy Irishman called “Bobby” in the 80/90,s and you would know what i mean but thats a story for another day) and if we are all honest and not saving face, we all have in one form or another, ran bent… they are called infringements, there aint a driver out there that aint had 1 or 10 of them in their time i know and dont say you aint cos if you do, i will openly call you a liar! infringments are breaks of law that are legally picked up and bought to your attention by your employer/ministry…

I drive (what seems to be called on here) a “Shinny Boy” truck, Merc GigaSpace “StyleLine” 2551 with all the bells and whistles.
oh…
BTW? “Shinny boy” im affraid im lost on that one fellas, is that the way mere jealous drivel/lazy arsed, yes boss, no boss, ill lick your dangles, call a 8 hour day "Hard"and jump to HSE wanna be “screwdrivers” who drive fleet spec think of us? is that the way you refer to “US”, to those that have (in my case at least) done more than fair share of graft over 30 years and end up to get to work for a good company that respects their staff and supplies them with a vehicle of their choice (yes i get asked what i would like to drive and what spec and currently have to make up my mind on what to replace said 2551… more on that in a bit), or is it because that we of the “shinny brigade” are passionate about our kit and live, eat and sleep in what is to all intense and purpose, our homes 6 days a week and therefore care and keep them as we would like our own house to be kept?
Just asking, so dont shot me :open_mouth:

Sorry i digress…Movin on… :smiley:
I have driven some total scrap, (how would you fancy a run down to Milan in a “82” DAF 2500 day cab with a tandem fridge (ex Transfleet) filled with an “Irish” 23 tonne of hanging meat? No?, i have, Twice!) but ive also been paid to go to places that others would die for and pay thousands to go too, ive seen stuff that would make your toes curl, seen most, mind, not all, as its still a learning curve, types of driving and i have lost good friends to a profession they, as i do, cared deeply about.
i have seen an industry that has made a rod for its own back turn into a moaning entity that still, to this day, they cant see the woods for the trees they themselves have planted and that most still firms still treat its staff like something they trod in at a dogs home, ive worked for the good, the bad and the indifferent and yet… i still ply my trade to the tune of 3000/3500kms a week, week in, week out doing the only job ive ever cared about…
You see, they/you can spin the name, make up weird and wonderful names, honestly, i once saw an advert for a “Directional input attendant”!!! Me personally, i can read a map, i can rope and sheet, i can split a tilt down, load a moxi, chain down a 60 tonne excavator, split a dolly boggie, im even capable of opening a curtain of a taut-liner…it dosnt matter, all of us, i/we have skills, i/we have been taught and can probably teach, however, we/i can and do make mistakes and thats true of anyone BUT we are “Lorry drivers”, nothing more, nothing less…

Some of you will know me/some not, some shared a coffee or tea with me, some may have seen me up and down the length/breadth of our road/motorway network, and if you have, then to you i say and give the big “Flash Flash” and a big ol thumbs up from behind the “fugly as sin” curtain…but most wont know me because you like me, pass like ships in the night and even if we do pass and see one another, you to me, like i to you, are just another driver doing the do, i may not know you as we pass but i have nothing but total respect you for what you do.

So… the “The Velcro/cruise control” bit, the reason/headline for my first ever post…

Just back from being shown the new Scania, in the flesh no less, impressive it is too!! its no “Looker” but enough on here already with variuos opinions bannded about and i could blat on about that for ages but wont…Trucks are after all subjective things… however, Im about to get a new lorry so spending the next few weekends going to various dealers… oh for 89 500 Streamline… im off again…sorry, anyway…
You see the one thing that surprised me was the “Options” you can have fitted to truck these days, ACC,PTC, etc, “Velcro boots” being one of them, the other the “OOC” On Only Cruise control…“OOC”, Snappy eh? you see i thought these options were new, but no, there not, apparently, trucks have had these very things available for years! let me explain…

Picture this…

There you are, driving down the motorway (pick one), you are closing in a lorry (to you drivers under 12, thats a LGV, did i mention the fact i can be sarci) and so you now check your mirrors, clear, indicate, move into the middle lane (under 12s, thats lane 2) and proceed to start the “over take”…for the next 10 miles!!! Hmmm, you say “10 miles”!? oh yes cos what i failed to mention was that, while you were catching up said lorry (LGV) you were empty and the other was moderately loaded and you were going up an incline… your past that now and “on the flat”… so what to be done, you see, the lorry being “overtaken” the driver has his option of “Velcro” boot and or he has engaged “On only” cruise control… See, i told you, been fitted for years, your there now, i can see you thinking it, you have been in just that situation! So what we have now, in this situation, is a 3 carriageway motorway now been turned into a single lane… So, for the next “insert own time frame” “X” minutes/hour you carry on slowly and inexiribly passing said lorry (LGV) because you are “Faster” only just, only by a micro nats ■■■■ of a mile an hour but you are faster (ive been there trust me, ive seen beards grow in the time its taken to pass some lorries), the driver being over taken knows it, you know it but will the slower lorry yield…nah! he has those boots, or he has the “on only” cruise but infact, i think its niether, its total stupidity or arrogance or both, i dunno, but my best guess, its funny to him, he is loving every effin seccond! problem now is, for the “Faster” driver, every car and his dog thinks, you are the woman’s anatomy, they have no clue, no idea that your max, they see a lorry, a lorry that’s, in their eyes, sat in the middle lane, taking the urin…all the while, your man in the slower lorry knows this and is still laughing his bolloxs off, you conversely are now getting revved up…miles passs and your all annoyed…more miles… your thinking of doing something you shouldn’t… STOP!!! i have got a cure for this situation i have…read on…

oh, as a bye…

To the driver (past or future) of this slow/slower lorry/lorry,s, you my old fruit, if you pull a stunt like above, you are a ■■■■ of the highest order! The LAW states quite infaticly “When being overtaken by a faster vehicle you should SLOW DOWN and allow the faster vehicle to pass” that’s in the highway code that is. Any sane “professional” driver would back off!

Oh yeah, “The Cure”, the cure dear faster trucker… Take breath, back off and use your superior fitted option in your lorry, the “Adjustable cruise control” spark up a L&B, check out the scenery, do whatever, sit back, enjoy a word game from the sign writting now facing you, do whatever and you can because you are safe in the knowledge that… “A”, every car driver this side of “Katmandu” is NOT thinking your a “woman’s anatomy” for blocking the road and “B”, sooner or later, something magical will happen… he will turn off and or, as is more likely, come upon an incline… Just thought of a “C” you could still back off and then follow said driver and vent you anger at him for being a ■■■■, but you wont… or would you? You see, I was once taught something, stayed with me for years this has…
“Thing is Gel, Rome aint going anywhere, be there today, be there tomorrow, and even if you get there five days late, guess what, Rome aint going anywhere”… I think you get the idea?

We all have trucks that are limited, some are more so than others and if you are in one that’s even half a mile an hour slower than another, then think about it, that truck that’s about pass you, he caught you up for a reason… he is bloody quicker than you!! let him past, give him flash (or not if that optional extra is not fitted to your truck, not a lot of lorry’s do these days apparently? mind you, apparently, they, new drivers, are taught NOT to “instruct” another drivers actions these days…What bolloxs that is ive no idea?, HSE i expect but hey!!, who needs road sense or Manners much better to have the front of your truck wiped out by said new driver cos he has no bloody idea how long he is!) and leave him to get to his “Rome” while you go to yours… after all, whats the chances he will be if front of you at your tip? (oh, ok, yeah i know he might be if he is from the same company even i have worked that out, im old, not stupid).

So there you are, a “Real drivers” solution to a “Simple drivers” problem…

Next week… “Cab internet ■■■■” just how bouncy can it get?

Drive steady and Cheero.
Gel.

Prescription or ‘local supplier’ mate?

eagerbeaver:

Or sitting in RDC cell waiting to be tipped

You’re going to fit in well here :unamused:

Pah!

blue estate:

eagerbeaver:

Or sitting in RDC cell waiting to be tipped

is that it, that’s the best you can come up with to a newbie

Gel looks down, shakes head and wanders of stage left… :unamused:

I expected better…

What a refreshing first post. It’s a real change to here from a modest bloke. This is much better than the " look at me I’ve done everything and I’ve got an answer to all things " type we sometimes get.
So well done mate and welcome, I for one am looking forward to your future posts.
Regards. John.
P.S. Just so you know…you may not be the only one who engages in a bit of sarcasm :wink:

Old 67

Thank You.

Its easy to ridicule, but as ive stated, been about abit and can tell from meeting or reading someone, a good un or a bad un… after all, there are drivers and screwdrivers… :wink:

To be honest, i nearly never tried come on, but some of my freinds said to have a bash and i have no idea what the form is on these site things so just thought an honest and “my View” take would break the ice. ive been about a bit and indeed have the T shirt, and to me, all this malarkey is a bit, well, beyond me, maybe its me but the “New School” (wernt we all one time or another) just seem to want their bloody cake and eat it too, let alone know a dolly from a shank… (ill wait for someone to ask the inevitable) and so hence the friends saying get on here and have a crac and pass on, if needed or wanted 30yrs experiance, i started as a drivers mate and lernt from the floor, Learned good and bad, right and wrong but im here after 30yrs so must have done somit right?

Gel

TL:DR

Another solution to the problem is to set the cruise a couple of clicks down from the limiter so you have a bit in reserve for overtaking ■■■■■ who refuse to give in… but I agree about the acc, all of our new lorrys have it spec’d and I think it should come standard on all lorrys along with the emergency stop aid…

Could the OP be a bit more specific in his posting? His first post was a bit short and left me thinking he’d left some vital bits of informaton out, such as the truth.
Gel what’s his name…coming to park next to you very soon. Pretend to be asleep.

More Ale:
Could the OP be a bit more specific in his posting? His first post was a bit short and left me thinking he’d left some vital bits of informaton out, such as the truth.

Oh how i laughed at that… Next!

Gel@DFT:

More Ale:

So you’re back again with another name,enjoy your fishing expedition.

bobbya:

Gel@DFT:

More Ale:

So you’re back again with another name,enjoy your fishing expedition.

bobbya… That for me or more ale? As i have never been on here till today, that’s a promise, (simple server check can confirm that) plus i dont bite like a fish, people who cant believe a person, that’s there issue… Shame but what ya gonna do :confused:

Cheers

Welcome Mr Gel and what a good and honest post straight to the point and telling it how it really is.
Unfortunately they dont like that here and they will slag you down for telling the truth you have to imagine yourself in there little bubble and post like that but you soon get ■■■■■■ of with that so when some nob head post’s something thick you tell him and the rest.
Looking foward to more great post’s ignore the begrudgers and tell it how is

■■■■, that was a long winded "Hello - im Gel " :laughing: :laughing: But anyway , i digress, :arrow_right: welcome to the mad house , pull up a chair - spark up a tab , and give em hell . :grimacing:

nightline:
Looking forward to much shorter post’s.

Fixed that for you.

More Ale:

nightline:
Looking forward to much shorter post’s.

Fixed that for you.

The cheek of you ha ha

Gel’s only on the 'net because that partially sighted teddy bear chucked his institution a grant for internet access last night.

Got bored after paragraph 2. I may well revisit when I have time.
Looks like Winseer has some competition now for most waffle In a post.
Good introduction, sure you’ll fit in well here.

Welcome gel. :grimacing: please get into an argument with carryfast. :laughing: enjoy pal. :smiley: