Oh dear, not sat nav again?

Sorry guys meant to post this on the existing thread but ballsed up. :blush: ā€¦can mods move it.

Well I aint laughing at that poor bugger :neutral_face: , I do a lot of very remote farms in the South West on roads that a horse and cart driver would think twice about so ā€˜ā€™ There but for the grace ofā€¦etc etc "

I always ring up before delivery for access and turning around info, but some of the bastds either have no concept of artic manouverability and space needed, or they just donā€™t care as long as they get their new sheds. :smiling_imp:

A number of times I have had some REAL hairy moments (imagining crane call outs in my head) but so far have coped with itā€¦you can only go on the info they give you, and I have even turned to Google Earth lately :open_mouth: (a big step forward for me :laughing: )
I put a post on here a few weeks back about nearly getting wedged in a Devon village, a right angled bend with high buildings either side, after being told ā€˜ā€˜Yeh no probs driveā€™ā€™ on the phone :unamused: ā€¦then I was stopped by a friendly motorist saying ā€˜ā€˜I have never seen a vehicle that size in our village ahead, do you think you will get around the bend at the bottomā€™ā€™ :open_mouth: ā€¦I did btw on the right hand turn, it was the left hand turn on the way back that caused the probs, got around after a while with mm.s to spareā€¦AND they tried to send me back last week :open_mouth: told them to go and ā– ā– ā– ā–  themselvesā€¦end of.

So I sincerely hope I never end up on one of these threads or worse You Tube, but if I do you can sure as hell bet that I took every step to avoid it prior to it actually happening.

If Iā€™m going anywhere that looks a bit off the beaten track I have a good scout round on Google Street view, aeriel photos I fi nd are a big help.

robroy:
Sorry guys meant to post this on the existing thread but ballsed up. :blush: ā€¦can mods move it.

No problem Robā€¦ Sorted!! :smiley:

happysack:
Only once been south of Penrith/Durham in 2 years. Have i missed it? Have i [zb].

Sapper has seen sense. Leaving the dark side.

The [zb] hole South the darkside? :open_mouth:
The only reason they sell sunscreen in Scotland is because half of you are ginger! :wink:

As above really, if the article is right enough (looks so with the tanker) and he doing water treatment works all over the UK then from experience of a couple I know of in my area that is exactly sort of road for a mile or so to both of them!

Bit different if it was a curtain looking for the local Travis Perkins or cash and carry etc, but yeah canā€™t blame him too much other than Iā€™d like to ring ahead given the option or at least try and get a bit of local knowledge when in the nearest town etc (all easy enough to say on here obviously!)

If you donā€™t know where your going the wheels shouldnā€™t be turning,ā€¦get close and ask, local knowledge will usually save the day.

dieseldave:

robroy:

No problem Robā€¦ Sorted!! :smiley:

Cheers Dave, I donā€™t think anyone noticed, and we got away with it. :laughing: ā€¦ :unamused:

dave_k:
As above really, if the article is right enough (looks so with the tanker) and he doing water treatment works all over the UK then from experience of a couple I know of in my area that is exactly sort of road for a mile or so to both of them!

Bit different if it was a curtain looking for the local Travis Perkins or cash and carry etc, but yeah canā€™t blame him too much other than Iā€™d like to ring ahead given the option or at least try and get a bit of local knowledge when in the nearest town etc (all easy enough to say on here obviously!)

If you donā€™t know where your going the wheels shouldnā€™t be turning,ā€¦get close and ask, local knowledge will usually save the day.

Or screw you even more. Iā€™ve got a knack of asking village idiots for directions. One sent me to a garden centre which they were adamant was this side of the low bridge (it wasnā€™t which made for a fun 1/2 mile reverse) and another was a fenland inbred and set his dog on me.

Tris:

dave_k:

Or screw you even more. Iā€™ve got a knack of asking village idiots for directions. One sent me to a garden centre which they were adamant was this side of the low bridge (it wasnā€™t which made for a fun 1/2 mile reverse) and another was a fenland inbred and set his dog on me.

Ha! Yeah well that is true, if you donā€™t like the sound of the advice get a second opinion. Some people I ask have ā€œlived in the place their entire lifeā€ yet still have no clue where the local ind est etc is etc!

I struggle to criticise drivers too much in these situations, when trying to find places in the arse end of nowhere, off the beat & track in areas they arenā€™t familiar with. Suttons seem to have a fairly good reputation, in fact iā€™d wager the driver is probably pretty well regarded, heā€™s just had a nightmare here. I feel sorry for him.

Different ball game to some muppet getting wedged in a village, blindly following his Sat Nav en route to the local supermarket.

That aside, iā€™ll always remember the bloke who tried getting his Wag & Drag up Hardknott Pass in ā– ā– ā– ā– ā– ā– ā– ā– 

Despite these signs at the bottomā€¦

Is that anything to do with the old Suttons of St Helens ?

rob22888:
I struggle to criticise drivers too much in these situations, when trying to find places in the arse end of nowhere, off the beat & track in areas they arenā€™t familiar with. Suttons seem to have a fairly good reputation, in fact iā€™d wager the driver is probably pretty well regarded, heā€™s just had a nightmare here. I feel sorry for him.

Different ball game to some muppet getting wedged in a village, blindly following his Sat Nav en route to the local supermarket.

That aside, iā€™ll always remember the bloke who tried getting his Wag & Drag up Hardknott Pass in ā– ā– ā– ā– ā– ā– ā– ā– 

Donā€™t think Iā€™d attempt that on my push bike never mind a truck!

rob22888:

Someone correct me if Iā€™m wrong on this, and Iā€™m sure I am, but I seem to remember those signs before going into hard knott pass are positioned at a point where if you are in a vehicle thatā€™s so large itā€™s not suitable for it there actually zero chance of turning round at that point so your committed to goā– ā– ?

Rowley010:

rob22888:

Someone correct me if Iā€™m wrong on this, and Iā€™m sure I am, but I seem to remember those signs before going into hard knott pass are positioned at a point where if you are in a vehicle thatā€™s so large itā€™s not suitable for it there actually zero chance of turning round at that point so your committed to goā– ā– ?

Yes where those signs are both ends of pass there is no convenient turning circle, but tbf youā€™d of done well to get an artic up to those signs anyway. Iā€™m fairly sure that there is another sign further back on the "main road " before you turn onto the pass route though.

Sent from my SM-T330 using Tapatalk