Office wallah

Good evening all.
Bit of in put required, 3 months ago I got offered the chance to come off the road and have a go behind the scenes! I figured it would be rude to turn it down so took the opportunity.
Started off getting back loads and subbing stuff out and also learning the planning. Then two weeks ago the main planner who I’ve been working with went on holiday and the powers that be put me in charge of planning. The normal planer imo is great at what he does but I Hav learnt some things in this time which have put me right off, I feel I was dropped right in the mess for starters hardly any experience and left to plan 59 vehicles a day… Not easy, not only that but most people only try and make life hard rather than help! And Also the lack the f respect for drivers in that environment is shocking.
There is alot more stuff but far to much to post.
What I want to know is have any of you ever swapped the dash for a desk, did you stick it? Or could you not take it any more?

I did. Loved the job but I didn’t have 59 trucks and had decent reliable drivers which made it easier.
Problem was the boss was a ■■■■ and even if you achieved 100% delivery rate and every vehicle had a back load you would have still done something wrong.
Many other thing I could go on about but I walked and all of the crap I have left behind.

jarvo:
What I want to know is have any of you ever swapped the dash for a desk, did you stick it? Or could you not take it any more?

I wouldn’t touch it with a barge pole.

But I know plenty of Drivers who have - mainly at DHL.

None survived and all are back on the road.

Very handy though if you are banned or get a driving illness e.g. diabetes.

I go into the office each time our regular planner is on holiday - I’m in there this week.

It’s a lot easier for me than a lot of places - we only run 15 vehicles, and most of them are on contract work, so I only really need to plan for 3-4 each day. It’s more a case of making sure that there are drivers for the vehicles, that the regular inspections are worked around, that the paperwork is kept on top of, etc. It also helps that all the drivers get on with it, rather than looking for ways to get out of it, and that the boss is a top bloke who has been there, seen it and done it all (started driving himself at 12, many, many years ago).

It’s has helped no end in seeing how the other side works and getting to know people other than grumpy goods-in people - having said that, I’m not ready to be in there full-time, and look forward to getting back out on the road each time :smiley:

Gary

Did it for three years or so, oh and the deep end is the place to learn fast. :smiley:

Happy to be behind the wheel now though, i think if you started out as a driver it is tough to settle at a desk.

I went into the office and loved it, I did get a bit misty eyed when allocating a driver to a particularly nice job every now and then, but mostly I was far too busy for melancholy.

There are two reasons I got out of it, first I had a punch up with the owner’s son, he didn’t take too kindly to me bashing his little boy (who started it btw) we sorted it out between us and became very good friends, but because of it, I’d gone as far as I was going to go. Secondly another opportunity presented itself, so I moved on.

Since then I’ve moved to the other side of the World, so still earning my stripes as a driver, which I enjoy, but if another opportunity presented itself, I’d jump at the chance.

Being on the other side of the desk has definitely made me a better driver.

It certainly is interesting and you do learn so much I think at some stage I will go bk on the road! It was only really 2day when I worked with a new lad who started fresh from uni when I realised how much I’ve actually learnt and coming off the road you can give so much more than a graduate… I mean he can compile great graphs and do sum fancy analysis but he has no real clue about transport! I figured once you’ve done it you always Hav the experience although I think I still have a few things I wanna conquer on the road but I dnt think these chance come along very often so you gotta try it!

I wouldn’t fancy it…ive seen those desk jockies under pressure,and it dont look much fun to me

tried it twice…failed it twice.
Absolutely no good at telling others what to do.