Off work with Corona virus symptoms

Government guidelines say that if you or anybody in your household shows any CV symptoms, you should self isolate for at least 2 weeks, so if those symptoms do develop, or you catch it off one of your family, who knows how long you will be off.

So…
Do any of you get paid whilst off,?
I’m assuming those that do are those who work at Union present firms.

I’ll start off with a… ‘No I won’t’. :neutral_face:

Yes we get paid whatever, yes unionised, no absolutely will not be taking the ■■■■ taking time off unless i or the good lady is genuinely feeling unwell, there are plenty of the usual suspects who will though, invariably the ones not in the union but the first to take advantage of all the benefits we have solely due to decent union negotiation :unamused:

My life time limp means I get SSP only.
As I live along, work alone, and to all intent and purpose “billy no mates”
I’ll be wiping the snot off my face and cracking on for as long as possible

robroy:
Government guidelines say that if you or anybody in your household shows any CV symptoms, you should self isolate for at least 2 weeks, so if those symptoms do develop, or you catch it off one of your family, who knows how long you will be off.

So…

No obviously I don’t get paid but it’s another reason why I / we charge what we charge rainy day fund ,I bet these ZB financed up to the hilt lot are craping it in case the Ferris wheel stops ,it’s alright being a no frills not for profit haulier helping the race to the bottom but times like this need that rainy day dosh .

Our company has a union in place, but, if the letter sent out today is anything to go by, either they’re useless or incompetent.

The basic gist of the letter is regardless of what terms are in your contract, any sickness leave in the foreseeable future will only be paid at SSP rate. It would be interesting to see if anyone who is affected by this tries to challenge it legally, claiming back what they should be entitled to based on their contract terms, as I imagine the company wouldn’t have a legal leg to stand on, but that will have to wait for a later time (unless they decide to change this new policy).

They also say just a few lines before this that if we, anyone in our households or anyone we’ve come into contact with, shows any signs of symptoms, then we are to inform them, and to self-isolate for 14 days, as per government guidelines.
So stay at home and get paid ■■■■ all, or come in to work, find out it might have all dried up, and get sent home unpaid. Talk about being damned if you do and damned if you don’t.

Normally I can’t fault the company I work for, and I understand they are taking steps to protect themselves against the worst possible scenarios, but this just strikes me as being too self-protecting, and not doing enough to support staff properly.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Nope I don’t get paid but even if I don’t get the virus I’ll need to take time off to look after my daughter if they shut the schools. So I’m doing as much overtime as possible the next few weeks to boost the rainy day account[emoji3525]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Punchy Dan:

robroy:

So…

No obviously I don’t get paid but it’s another reason why I / we charge what we charge rainy day fund ,I bet these ZB financed up to the hilt lot are craping it in case the Ferris wheel stops ,it’s alright being a no frills not for profit haulier helping the race to the bottom but times like this need that rainy day dosh .

Same goes for employed people too Dan, up to their eyeballs in debt living some lifestyle well beyond their means all on tick, days of reckoning ahead for many people.

I like the cut of your jib though, have never undestood working at the ■■■■ poor profit returns some operators do, contract comes up and all they can come up with is a cheaper quote to get the business, why ffs? what is the point of it all?, what happened to offering a service or product that was better (better quality and totally reliable) than your competitor can provide at a suitable price, making yourself indispensible to the customer?
This method also applies to drivers too if they’d just think about things for more than 3 seconds :bulb:

Yes haven’t been in all week , just rang up whilst
Coughing down phone , bloke on end said dont
Come in ( result ) , no sick pay but as hol
Was cancelled the £3000 I got back will
Cover me for this week

Yes we get paid fully but I’ll certainly not going to be taking advantage of the situation. Advantages of working for a large unionised firm I suppose.

Its ■■■■■■■ flu. If the overreaction of the government finally cracks the populace, they have only themselves to blame. It only takes an angry mob about to lose their home and not being able to eat to kick off.

If I start with it I will be going in to work and trying to hide the symptoms because I have a young family to support.
This is one of the many things that’s wrong with this industry that you have to do this,Iv been in to work in some right old states all because I can’t afford to be off sick.
In an industry that says it puts health and saftey first its completely ridiculous that a driver don’t get sick pay.
My mate works for a haulier with a good union and full sick pay and he says the usual suspects are on the sick already,and it’s down to these clowns milking it why other companies won’t offer full sick pay

[quote=“yorkshire terrier”
My mate works for a haulier with a good union and full sick pay and he says the usual suspects are on the sick already,and it’s down to these clowns milking it why other companies won’t offer full sick pay[/quote]
Yup, some drivers can’t help shooting themselves and every bugger else in the foot, it’s a large part of why almost all the good jobs have gone and the logistics giants have taken over competing with each other in the race to the bottom.
You could explain this and why it’s olympic idiocy to those usual suspects till you were blue in the face but they’re too thick and too selfish to take it in…this is why those in good jobs are careful who they recommend, too many US’s and bang there goes another good job round the U bend :unamused:

I’ve got a family to support it I also realised sharpish that if we’re off they still need supporting so started off chucking £20 a week away and now I’ve got enough for a few months off at current spending, longer if I pull my belt in.

I know it’s hard but everyone needs to put something aside for many reasons, even stuff like this, even though it’s hard. I’m really not preaching because I’ve been there but getting that cushion in place is probably one of the biggest reliefs I’ve felt.

I got SSP for self isolating last week. But then I also make a point of expecting precisely no favour out of my employer.

Some may be able to claim Universal credit it will only help with housing cost as they have relaxed the rules on claiming it this also goes for the self employed

Unionised with full sick pay here.

As above…hope I don’t need to use it.
Reckon it’s gonna get fairly hectic in the sector I’m involved In.

robroy:

So…

As you and I discussed earlier yes I would get full pay. What’s more being heavily unionised we actually receive average payvwhilst on the sick, same as our holiday pay. Luckily nobody seems to take the ■■■■ and in my time there it’s only the genuinely sick or injured guys who are ever off.

Ok, full disclosure time; my missus is quarantined at home after displaying all the symptoms, despite them not testing for whatever reason but she works for Stoneacre who’ve been very proactive in this matter no questions asked.

My company may also be proactive, our site however are not taking it seriously whatsoever and appear to be treating it as a joke. When it all kicked off with that British doctor who was at a conference in Singapore and then went skiing in the Alps we had one of our drivers on holiday in the same hotel in Singapore at the same time. We expressed our concern to our line manager and suggested that upon his return he should be made to take two weeks off. This was met with much derision and catcalls of “■■■■■■■” and the like. Obviously the thought of paying a fortnights sick terrified them! :imp:

He obviously returned straight to work and is still driving around sniffling, sneezing and coughing like it’s going out of fashion. The anarchist in me looks forward with real relish to the time the site grinds to a halt.

Was any of the other 4 or 5 threads about the coronavirus not okay to ask this question in?

It’s the same as any other sickness you will get SSP and if your lucky you will get company sick pay.

Judging by the selfish ■■■■■■■■ raiding the shops you will either have people that won’t self isolate when they should or the proper selfish bone idle ■■■■■■■■ that are having three months off, because they feel they can.

We’re salaried so would normally just get payed for a few sick days as normal. Luckily so far, in the 3.5 years I’ve been here I’ve not had a single sick day so am hoping they stick to this should the worst happen but these are unprecedented times so who knows. I’ve not asked the question.

My sister split up with her boyfriend a few weeks ago and moved in with me while the new house she’s bought is finished off. She’s a teacher so could get infected pretty easily which has got me a little concerned [emoji45]

Your get statuary sick pay

Thing is with all this
Someone in an.pffice warehouse has even a slight cough there be phoning im.sick given time off.
A driver phones on sick be a lot of plaves
We’re be prove it or be told have come on.
Yes I know people in.offices have close contact with others etc

But even in.genreal we all know office staff that go off sick just because then can and get away with it