Off Topic, but need advice

Recently, I sold a rather nice set of Lotus branded drinks mats on Ebay, to a pleasant lady in wales. She elected to pay using Postal Orders, and after a couple of days said that she had sent them. A week later, still no Postal Orders. I contacted her to enquire after the payment, to be told that she had indeed sent the Postal Orders and would enquire at the Post Ofiice as to what had happened to them. The answer that came from the Post Office was that the Postal Orders have been cashed. This is the only information I have at present. I honestly have not recived the Postal Orders, and my dilema is, what am I supposed to do now? It obviously looks from her point of veiw that I have cashed the Postal Orders and am lying about it. I can’t prove that I haven’t and am begining to feel bad about the situation. What should I do?

bad situation, i dont envy you. all i can thinkl of is can the post office say exactly where the postal orders were cashed/? it might help.

Cheers Mal, I’ve asked the question, and am awaiting the reply.
I feel really awful, but I’m not prepared to send off the goods without getting the payment. Can she claim against the Post Office in some way? How do Postal Orders work? Are they issued to a certain named person or are they anonymous?

Tramper:
What should I do?

Do nothing, certainly do not send the goods. This is a regular con trick on Ebay so beware.

The lady should invlove the police, or the Post Office fraud section, who can obtain copies of the signed postal orders “and” tape from the cctv camera that will almost certainly have been in the post office concerned. That is if the postal orders ever existed!!!

i reckon there would be some type of protection with postal orders tramper, but aint certain. the post office will know, and im sure theyll tekll you everything about them. I think theres more to this than meets the eye, there are some rum bleeders on ebay!

If she didn’t post them recorded delivery (i.e. requiring a signature upon delivery) then its her look out.

Looking at this from the other side of the coin, if you buy something from Ebay its well worth taking the trouble to open a Paypal account as your means of payment. This way you have double protection should the deal go wrong.

Never, under any circumstances, send cash or cheque to pay for goods!! And dont deal with a seller that will not accept Paypal or credit cards.

Check feedback ratings as well.

I only tend to deal with people who have good feedback and who accept Paypal.

If she has a real problem, she will contact eBay with her dispute.

Also, be ready to respond if she leaves negative feedback for you.

Emm i dont use Ebay because of the con merchants and too many scams going on etc etc but good luck anyway.

Try this
http://www.postoffice.co.uk/portal/po/content1;jsessionid=YCIINIEKV2WP2FB2IGDUPLQUHRAYUQ2K?mediaId=19900224&catId=19400182

ive bought a lot of stuff from ebay over the years and luckilly aint had a single problem. i even sold a guitar to a bloke in hong kong! I wont use paypal, either cheque or direct transfer, paypal are cheeky ■■■■■■■ and it costs, also, a rouge buyer can stitch you up via paypal! and anyway bank transfer is just as good and free of charge, also it is completely safe,

I thought Postal Orders had spaces to write in who they were for,then when you cashed them u showed some ID to prove entitlement to them? When at “boarding school” many years ago I used to get sent postal orders,and always named to me.

Anyway,did she fill in your name on them?
She should still have counterfoils for them to prove purchase, then just try and find out where they were cashed, see where that takes you
Good luck