off to dresden

hello all, loading at denbigh on monday, a load of whey for a yogurt factoy just east of dresden, spoke to a couple of our drivers today but, they,ve not been, ill probably ship hull rotterdam, then off we go, but not too sure which is the best way, if im heading east id go achen, but i heard theres a better route to the north, ill be paying the road tax with dkv, any suggestions please,ta.

Personally from Rotterdam I would go Utrecht - Apeldoorn - Henglo - Osnabruck - Hannover - Magdeburg - Leipzig - Dresden.

Another option would be to go from Rotterdam - Utrecht - Arnhem - Oberhausen - Dortmund - Kassel - Leipzig - Dresden.

There is nothing in it distance wise but the Kassel option is a lot hillier than the Hannover one if you are going to be heavy. Also more potential for delays with some bad spots for traffic jams and more no overtaking sections

One thing I wouldn’t be doing is going anywhere near Aachen coming from Rotterdam.

If you choose the first option there is a stretch of national road between Osnabruck and Bad Oyenhausen but when you buy your tax you can just get it from Bad Bentheim border to your destination and it will route you over the national section. No need to buy two lots of tax to take you to the national bit and from it onward. It will give you plenty of time to do that run, around 24 hours, so will leave you enough time for the drive and a daily rest.

Coffeeholic:
Personally from Rotterdam I would go Utrecht - Apeldoorn - Henglo - Osnabruck - Hannover - Magdeburg - Leipzig - Dresden.

Another option would be to go from Rotterdam - Utrecht - Arnhem - Oberhausen - Dortmund - Kassel - Leipzig - Dresden.

There is nothing in it distance wise but the Kassel option is a lot hillier than the Hannover one if you are going to be heavy. Also more potential for delays with some bad spots for traffic jams and more no overtaking sections

One thing I wouldn’t be doing is going anywhere near Aachen coming from Rotterdam.

If you choose the first option there is a stretch of national road between Osnabruck and Bad Oyenhausen but when you buy your tax you can just get it from Bad Bentheim border to your destination and it will route you over the national section. No need to buy two lots of tax to take you to the national bit and from it onward. It will give you plenty of time to do that run, around 24 hours, so will leave you enough time for the drive and a daily rest.

coffee,whats your opinion on this route.Bearing in mind its over15yrs since i went and roads will be vastly improved.I had to go to dresden via eisenach so went zeebrugge venlo a44 essen dortmund kassel,then via the national 7 across to the a4[time limit at night time]then eisenach jena dresden,hilly but cant remember mileage in comparison to the 2 routes you suggest.
regards dave.

Yep. I would go with Neil’s first option.

The bit of national road that he refers to is through the town of Bad Oeynhausen, which can be a bit of a bottleneck.

After years of planning and public enquiries, the missing section of Autobahn is now under construction and due for completion in a few years time.

dafdave:

Coffeeholic:

coffee,whats your opinion on this route.Bearing in mind its over15yrs since i went and roads will be vastly improved.I had to go to dresden via eisenach so went zeebrugge venlo a44 essen dortmund kassel,then via the national 7 across to the a4[time limit at night time]then eisenach jena dresden,hilly but cant remember mileage in comparison to the 2 routes you suggest.
regards dave.

That’s a bit further distance wise I would think and these days you miss the B7 by going down the A7 to Kircheim and then picking up the A4 straight through to Dresden but it does add kilometres.

dafdave, the B7 has been Verboten for trucks between Kassel and Eisenach for several years.

These days I would never route via Kassel when heading down Leipzig way. I use the A2/A14 via Magdeburg and can get just shy of Leipzig in 4.5 from Gütersloh, which knocks spots off the old route via Kassel, even when using the B7 when it was still allowed.

Inselaffe:
dafdave, the B7 has been Verboten for trucks between Kassel and Eisenach for several years.

These days I would never route via Kassel when heading down Leipzig way. I use the A2/A14 via Magdeburg and can get just shy of Leipzig in 4.5 from Gütersloh, which knocks spots off the old route via Kassel, even when using the B7 when it was still allowed.

Thanks for that mate that brings me up to date,as i stated in my post to coffee i only went this way to dresden because i had a drop in eisenach but the info is appreciated.
regards dave.

The mandatory truck route these days from Kassel to Eisenach is via the A7 to Kirchheim thence the A4. Both these sections of Autobahn are extremely hilly and dominated by no overtaking sections.

many thanks for all the replies,ill probably go with the first option that coffeehollic suggested, one again, thanks to all.