off road driving

I,m gonna sound stupid,
I have read somewhere about having to use the tacho for WTD ect even when off road, quarry ect , but I can,t seem to find it anywhere now, I know I,m not dreaming, must be still suffering from last night, anyway can anyone point me in the direction of a copy pls?

dle1uk:
I,m gonna sound stupid,
I have read somewhere about having to use the tacho for WTD ect even when off road, quarry ect , but I can,t seem to find it anywhere now, I know I,m not dreaming, must be still suffering from last night, anyway can anyone point me in the direction of a copy pls?

PAGE 14

Note: Driving time includes any off-road parts of a journey where the rest of that journey is made on the public highway. Journeys taking place entirely off road would be considered as ’other work’.

thanks rog,

how would you do it if you drove from location A, to B then did say 8 hours work at B then have to drive back to A, all in the same day?
with the entire 8 hours not going back on the highway.

Off road driving would be classed as out of scope. In other words it dosn’t count towards your daily driving. I did hear vosa was changing the rules on this.

dle1uk:
thanks rog,

how would you do it if you drove from location A, to B then did say 8 hours work at B then have to drive back to A, all in the same day?

Now then, somewhere either tachograph or coffeeholic quoted the answer to this and I THINk it said that if the vehicle was not the main part of your daily duties but was only to get you & the equipment to a site, then it is deemed as ‘out of scope’ - I stand to be corrected if this info is incorrect

If any part of a journey is on a public road then the whole journey is considered to be normal driving even any off-road driving that was a part of the same journey.

Where the whole of a journey is off-road then the journey can be booked as off-road driving.

Example:
You start work and have to drive around the depot loading the vehicle, in total you do 15 minutes driving inside the depot, you then take the load to it’s destination which involves driving on public roads for 1 hour.
When you reach your destination you tip the load which involves driving around the depot for 10 minutes.
As part of the journey was on public roads all the driving counts as normal driving so you’ve now completed 1 hour and 25 minutes driving.

Whilst you’re at this place the boss there asks you to move some boxes from one part of the depot to another part of the depot, you spend several hours moving these boxes and in total drive around the depot for 3 hours but none of this 3 hours driving is on public roads so you can book it as off-road driving.

You then drive around that place loading the vehicle with goods to return to your original depot where you normally work, this journey will eventually take you onto public roads with the goods that you’re loading and so is counted as normal driving.

dle1uk:
I,m gonna sound stupid,

If you spend the whole day driving around a quarry and don’t go on roads open to the public then it would be classed as off-road, but if you drive within scope of EU regulations during the same week then you should record the time as “other work” either on a chart or printout.

If you drive off-road and on road during the same day then you should use a chart/card and record the off-road driving as “out of scope” as long as it’s not part of a journey that will take you onto roads open to the public.

ROG:

dle1uk:
thanks rog,

Now then, somewhere either tachograph or coffeeholic quoted the answer to this and I THINk it said that if the vehicle was not the main part of your daily duties but was only to get you & the equipment to a site, then it is deemed as ‘out of scope’ - I stand to be corrected if this info is incorrect

Any ideas on this bit tachograph :question:
I think it referred to something like a builder who only used the truck to get the goods etc to the site where he was working for the day and then to drive it home again :question: :question: :question:

its using a tipper, basically based at location A, which is where the truck will be collected from, then drive to location B which is approx 25 miles away, then use the truck to move soil ect around farm, then drive back to location A

it appears that we are going to be told to remove tachos from the vehicle on arrival at location B?

the job could be 8 hours or it could carry onto to 11- 12 hours this is without any travelling to and from ,

the way i understand it is that my tacho will be put in at the start of the day, on arrival at location i will put it on “other work” but will continue to take the correct breaks, however the prob I have is removing the tacho, surely this is not correct?

many thanks

dle1uk:
its using a tipper, basically based at location A, which is where the truck will be collected from, then drive to location B which is approx 25 miles away, then use the truck to move soil ect around farm, then drive back to location A

it appears that we are going to be told to remove tachos from the vehicle on arrival at location B?

the job could be 8 hours or it could carry onto to 11- 12 hours this is without any travelling to and from ,

the way i understand it is that my tacho will be put in at the start of the day, on arrival at location i will put it on “other work” but will continue to take the correct breaks, however the prob I have is removing the tacho, surely this is not correct?

many thanks

I’m not sure about the legality of removing the chart but either way I would think that by removing the chart and presumably putting it back in when you drive back to base then you will be creating unnecessary problems for yourself.

You will have a large part of the chart with no graph written on it, I would think that will take some explaining if you get stopped.

Personally I would just write a manual entry on the back of the chart showing the start and finish times for the off-road driving, basically it’s regarded as other work anyway and is legal.

If the vehicle has a digital tachograph then just put it onto “out of scope” for the time you’re working at the farm.