Off at Xmas

Just heard that i have off on 24th and 25th December.
Last Xmas off was 1993 :exclamation:

Will have to buy some Wine and Prosecco in that Case. :bulb:
and a Turkey :grimacing:

I am also off at Xmas…to Portugal :smiley:

You’ve worked every Christmas since 93’? That’s really a sad state of affairs. I’ve never work Christmas, worked Christmas Eve and the odd Boxing Day though. I’d phone in sick if I had to work Christmas Day.

merc0447:
You’ve worked every Christmas since 93’? That’s really a sad state of affairs. I’ve never work Christmas, worked Christmas Eve and the odd Boxing Day though. I’d phone in sick if I had to work Christmas Day.

At my last employer I started phoning in sick if they would call me in Christmas day.
After a few years i think they got the point that i’m 100% not working Christmas day.

My current employer isn’t an issue now, they treat us drivers very nicely… well as much as they can :smiley:

i always tell whoever i work for i will not work xmas day or boxing day and never have

I’m back to work tomorrow for a month, should have been last week but as my ‘wheels’ cant turn because of the weather the boss man is trying to save some money … my bloody wages by leaving me sitting at home !! Might get home for a couple of days at Xmas if the crap weather continues but if it’s forecast to be good then we will be off to load somewhere, we need no shore side help.

Beauty of being a tipper driver is the long lay off over Christmas. Last Xmas I had the usual time off similar to builders plus a weeks’ paternity leave.
No paternity leave required this year thankfully. :laughing:

Break up on the 22nd and not back till January 2nd and only booked 3 days holiday happy days lol :grimacing:

Eagerbeaver just found out he’s got Christmas off too! :laughing:

I finish on the 18th and might go back on the 4th if I fancy it.

Finish 19 Dec, start back Jan 4, can’t bloody wait.

Contraflow:
Eagerbeaver just found out he’s got Christmas off too! :laughing:

I finish on the 18th and might go back on the 4th if I fancy it.

Bah, here come all the show offs with their time off at Christmas :angry: :wink:

Things don’t stop at my place but thankfully, no weekends or bank holidays in my contract so a 4 day weekend, followed by a 3 day weekend. Been asked about working Boxing Day & New Years Day but no chance. I’ve had many a Christmas ruined by lousy shift patterns, so glad I no longer have to do any of that crap. Christmas is family & boozing time!!

Off 25th - 28th.
In 29th- 31st
Off 1st -3rd back in 4th Jan

raymundo:
I’m back to work tomorrow for a month, should have been last week but as my ‘wheels’ cant turn because of the weather the boss man is trying to save some money … my bloody wages by leaving me sitting at home !! Might get home for a couple of days at Xmas if the crap weather continues but if it’s forecast to be good then we will be off to load somewhere, we need no shore side help.

Ho do u get paid daily/weekly trip?

I’d happily work christmas day and new year day again. Did it for long enough and usually a bumper pay. Just another day as far as I’m concerned.

LostSomeWhere:

raymundo:

Ho do u get paid daily/weekly trip?

I get paid a daily rate for the time I am on the ship (with a small retainer for when on leave, to make sure I go back as no one queueing up to take my job) normally do month and month about for about £35,000 per year of which I work for approx 6 months (when we work as very weather dependent to permit sailing, so nothing unusual to sit around doing sweet F/A for a week or more), during the 6 months leave time I am free to take on other short time positions as and when available which can pay significantly more £’s per day than my regular employment and if for some obscure mickey mouse foreign shipping companies then all in back pocket, no questions asked or given. For example I received a phone call just last week asking if I was available to do a ship delivery from the south coast UK to Miami which, all going well, would take at least 25 days at sea plus getting her ready for the trip etc etc, so over a month at £300 per day paid by certified bankers draft plus travelling expenses all paid in advance, so first class on the trip home. Unfortunately coincides with the regular job so had to turn it down but if job still available in new year who knows, but I have a much younger wife and expensive hobbies so both a big drain on cash flow. :laughing:

Port Everglades then Ray, I know it well, I got ripped off shipping my Kenny Roberts colours Yamaha RZ 350 Ypvs back to Erith.
The freight forwarders made the wood crate four times bigger, to bring someone elses stuff at my expense.
I got the UK police to check the crate before I signed for it.
It could have anything illegal in it.

malcob:
i always tell whoever i work for i will not work xmas day or boxing day and never have

i always make me available so one with Kids can stay at Home

I’m suprised it took so long for the annual “I’m off at Xmas thread” to appear.
Apart from 2-3 days working in April I’ve been off since January, and it doesn’t appear that I’ll be going back anytime soon. So no getting up at silly O’clock :smiley:

[Bah humbug mode=on]The irony is that with the recent news story stating that over half the UK population don’t have a religion, a large proportion of those will still celebrate Christmas, a Christian festival.
Getting themselves sucked into an over indulgence of greed, gluttony, consumer spending, and possible debt[/Bah humbug mode=off]

Working xmas eve morning then off until 4th of Jan.

I imagine so.

Never actually worked one since I handed back in my gun and flowery uniform.