Odd question

Not sure if iv posted in right place or even if anyone can help. But there is no power to the radio in my iveco euro tracker cursor 2001. It’s getting to me now and I’m in need of sounds other than the engine. Iv asked the mechanic to have a look at it and he’s too busy with other stuff which I totally appreciate. It’s been 3 weeks now with no sounds. Now iv tested the power to the iso plug at the back and that has no power to it. Iv looked at the fuses and tested the ones that I can test in situ, but I don’t want to start pulling the others out willy nilly. Anyone any ideas

Isn’t there a diagram of what each fuse is for ?

If not pull them out one at a time and check them, I’m not sure but I think the radio will be a 10 amp fuse but wait for someone to confirm that because I could be wrong.

What I like to do with things like that is take a picture of the fusebox or whatever I’m working on, everyone’s got a camera on their phone these days and a picture will help you in the unlikely event that you do forget where a particular fuse came from.

+1 , exactly what I would do, pull one fuse at a time and take a pic before you start.

Have had the same symptom because the ground connection failed at the radio, and also one vehicle once where the radio only worked with the doors open (!) for similar reason. But if you have no power at the ISO plug it is almost certainly the fuse.

If you fail to fix it, you could run a wire with an inline 10A fuse from the ■■■ lighter feed to get some juice to it. Just check the radio is 24v and not 12v (in which case it would be going through a step down transformer first, and another potential point of failure).

Good luck - have had a non working radio for a week before and it isn’t fun!

Thank you both for your help, iv checked all fuses and they are all fine. Wouldn’t the power to the radio iso be 12v?

There is a diagram but nothing that resembles a radio. Usually the radio in cars are on the spur as the interior lights and ■■■ lighter, these are both working

noney82:
Thank you both for your help, iv checked all fuses and they are all fine. Wouldn’t the power to the radio iso be 12v?

Some lorry radios are 24 volt, I’m afraid I have no idea whether an Iveco radio is likely to be 12 or 24 volt.

Oh nooooooo

noney82:

Most trucks do indeed have 12v radio systems, though I have encountered 24v head units on Merc and later DAF before.

You already have the radio out presumably, so worth looking at any small print on it (especially a 24v sticker!).

You have proved that the other end of the wire is fine, so there is either a break somewhere, or there is a dropper to get the 12v and that is stuffed. It now comes down to time and effort, pulling apart enough of the dash to find out where the problem is or running a new fused wire with a new dropper from somewhere convenient and appropriate.

Only other thought - there isn’t another fuse box anywhere? As tacho says a fuse diagram would remove a few unknowns.

There was no radio in the truck when I got it, so I asked the mechanic and he said it was taken out and put in another truck. So I got a radio and while I was waiting for it to come I tested the power cable and found no power. The radio is situated above my head, the wires run off to the passenger side and presumably down the window pillar to the fuse box

Dumb question (sorry in advance) - did you test for power with ignition on as well?

th2013:
Dumb question (sorry in advance) - did you test for power with ignition on as well?

Yeah and with engine running :stuck_out_tongue:

If you have checked all fuses and still no radio power, the possibilities seem to be

1 fuse missing, any gaps in fuse box?
2 wiring damaged - hard to tell
3 24/12v dropper broken

Is there a 12v socket lighter , that you could test to see if dropper is working?

Finding the dropper, if there is one, would be the next thing to do.

If it were me I might be inclined to find a cheap 24v radio on eBay and wire that in, since a new dropper will be 30 quid.

Or get one of those rechargeable speakers and run radio and music from an iPod / phone / laptop

Iv got my phone plugged into the ■■■ lighter and that’s working spot on. No gaps in the fuse box. What I might do is take a feed from the ■■■ light(once I test to make sure it’s 12v) and run that to the radio power wire. I will also test to see if there is any break in wires. If there was a dropper and it was faulty would I get any voltage showing at the iso connector?
There is 2 red and one brown, both red are dead, now I know one is perm and one is switch live

Bloody hell ■■■ lighter is kicking out 28v

noney82:
Bloody hell ■■■ lighter is kicking out 28v

Not surprising really. Cars power usually runs at around 13.8v despite them being marked as 12v. So 28v wouldn’t be a surprise.

Meant it more that I can’t run a feed from it bummer

You need one of these, or similar

Isn’t there a 12V socket in the cab ?

th2013:
You need one of these, or similar

http://www.amazon.co.uk/DEOK-Waterproof-Voltage-Regulator-Reducer/dp/B00IGOCJJ2

Thank you for that, apparently I’m having a different truck on Wednesday(a horrible daf) for a few weeks mine is in for test and needs a bit of work on it. But I will be getting mine sorted once she’s back.

tachograph:
Isn’t there a 12V socket in the cab ?

Only one ■■■ socket and it’s 28v, when I get my truck back I will test every dam wire and hope I find 12v if not looks like I’ll have to get a dropper