Od whats my chances

thinking about starting with unit about £12000 to repay in 2 years traction work only im not flash driven enough beasts in my time erf foden seem 2 keep going im i on rite track as the subbies are all hi spec new wagons

Do you have approx £10’000 liquid cash in the bank :question: :open_mouth:
Think about the following:
Major breakdown/Fuel costs/tyre costs/servicing and not forgetting your wages for the first month or two while you get set up.
Looking at the ERF ECT/Foden Alpha or even the much maligned but VERY capable and CHEAP Renault Premium DCI is a smart move. :wink:

My advice is be VERY careful about what you buy. I struggled to resist the temptation to make offers on wagons which I guess I knew deep down weren’t right. Pick the right motor, make sure the work is there and what your costs are and you’ll be ok.

Avoid Maritime and you’ll be ok, they might very well have stacks of work but they have it well hidden and disguise it as a lot of free time in the afternoons, nearly broke me, but we lived to see the light of the day.
Just my honest opinion, but if your face fits who knows, mine unfortunately only fits at York dungeons.

wudnt bother to be honest and with the WTD coming into force for ODs next year , things wwill be even tougher

will anybody seriously take any notice of the wtd in 2009■■?
who will enforce it■■?
or probably more to the point who can prove what hours an o/d has or hasn’t done■■?

paul b:
will anybody seriously take any notice of the wtd in 2009■■?
who will enforce it■■?
or probably more to the point who can prove what hours an o/d has or hasn’t done■■?

well the tacho wont help matters but I see what your saying. Wouldnt that apply then to small hauliers who dont give a stuff about it. If everyone flauts it then I reckon there will be repercussions.

Who governs it at the mo, Vosa I expect ?

i do not think the wtd would stand up in court for ods
one ,we have no employment rights
two , no cmpany pensions or holiday pay
four,we supply our own tools ie expensive trucks together with the responsability
five, do not get paid when off
six, i heard a labour barroness i canot think of her name she said if wtd does not improve your lot you need not apply it
just another silly reg .be real cut the drive time to 36 hours and compensate owners and drivers

If I may interject my two pennies worth. Big Trucks’s words are spot-on. It is liquid-cash in the bank that will get you started. How much you spend on a truck is pretty-much academic. A 20K truck only costs about £20 per week (very roughly) than a £10k truck. It’s cash-flow that is the bugger!

The way you word things; whatever anyone says on this site, you’re probably going to give it a go anyway; and the best of luck to you. The margins in road-transport are not good. However, if you enjoy doing it and can make a reasonably tidy living, as-opposed to working in a job you hate, why the hell not!!!

Think posiitve! You can make money!!

We run containers. Double-shifted trucks; plus weekend-crew.

Reduce your fixed-costs (standing-costs) by running truck as much as you can.

Take no notice of the fact that people say £1.12 per mile is crap. It is crap, but it’s paid for each mile you do, and generally the container companies will keep you busy; especially if you’re prepared to shout when things aren’t going right. Employ a weekend and night driver (easy to say, I know!), and keep it rolling.

Finally; a cheap truck will not necessarily save money. Older machinery=higher running costs. Spend more, save more. Spend less, spend more. It evens itself out. However, a truck that’s off the road in the dealer/mechanic’s yard cannot earn money. Spend the money! Plus, the truck will have some residual value when you come to sell it. Might cover the deposit on the next one!

Anyway, now I’ve told you all you already know; go for it!!! You’ll live on adrenaline and might even get ill with worry; but even Bill Gates went through that!

WTD doesn’t come in until 2009 does it?

Good advice above, but I would personally buy a cheaper truck to start with, for two reasons…

1. If you decide you’ve made a horrible mistake and the OD’s life is not for you (It does happen, its a whole lot different to being an employed driver), then you can bale without losing a heap of cash on the resisdual value of a newer vehicle.
  2. Cash flow. Spending less on the vehicle will leave a greater balance in the bank. As has been said before, cash is king, especially when your a new start up.
    All the very best with the new venture, I also pulled my trucks out of Maritime, and I’m affraid when you do the sums, not every mile is paid for and in my opinion, for us its not finacially viable.
    And Yes the WTD for OD’s is not applicable until 2009, when it will get ignored.

very much agree with tramper as regards a wagon, something bought cash is a lot less painfull to have sat in a yard if you have a quiet week, big finance is ok when you’ve sorted some regular work at proper rates imho.
you do need to be carefull which might mean looking at a lot of trucks but a bit of patience and you can find a very good unit for 6-7k that wil do you for at least the first year, remember a 10 year old wagon earns exactly the same as a new’n.

Well it’s been nearly 6 months since the start of your post, how are you gettin’ on? All is well I hope.