OD set up requirements

I’m driving agency at the moment and finding a lot of the firms I’m being sent to are short of not only drivers for their trucks but are short of trucks and trailers generally. It has me thinking of buying my own truck to try to take advantage of the way it is at the moment but I just wanted to get a better idea of the initial and ongoing costs fixed costs.

So for eg, I already have my Drivers CPC, digicard, Class 1, level D for airport work. What else besides the truck outlay am I going to be up for?

• Am I right in thinking that I need to take the Transport Managers CPC and that this is one and the same as the O licence? Is this a one off or is there an annual amount to pay?
  • My Drivers CPC is due next year so can I cover off some of the Transport Manager CPC with studying particular modules or am I going to be looking at 35 hours study for Drivers CPC then another chunk of £££ and hours for the Transport Managers CPC?
  • What types of insurances do I need to take out besides vehicle comp?
  • Do I need to rent parking or can I legally park the unit at home?

Any input - besides the usual don’t do it :wink: - would be much appreciated.

Ta,
Dan

You will need a TM or do the course yourself AND an O Licence, public liabilty insurance, hire and reward insurance, …

The ice roads not work out then?

the maoster:
The ice roads not work out then?

hahhaha Maoster I went by that profile name before that clown even came on the telly! I do need to change names tho as he ent exactly someone I like being confused with.

pork_chop:
can I legally park the unit at home?

If you could, I think we’d all be doing that! :wink:

Ha, fair play mate. At least you understood and took it in the manner it was intended.

Harry Monk:

pork_chop:

I always thought it was just because hardly anyone has a front yard or driveway in England that you never see any lorries parked at home. In Australia there’s nothing stopping you doing it.

So is it an O licence requirement Harry, that you cannot park at a residential address? Or is it just plain against the law? I park my Peterbilt 379 (taxed private HGV) in the front yard already so was hoping I could just park this truck there as well.

Some lads here in NI have their driveway legally as Op centre although mostly 8wheeler tipper/mixer men.

pork_chop:

Harry Monk:

pork_chop:

I always thought it was just because hardly anyone has a front yard or driveway in England that you never see any lorries parked at home. In Australia there’s nothing stopping you doing it.

So is it an O licence requirement Harry, that you cannot park at a residential address? Or is it just plain against the law? I park my Peterbilt 379 (taxed private HGV) in the front yard already so was hoping I could just park this truck there as well.

There’s nothing specifically that forbids it, but it’s unlikely to be allowed. If a nominated address has not previously been used as an operating centre, then DVSA will make a site visit, and they normally make it a condition that the operating centre can be entered and exited using forward gear, which generally rules out parking on the front drive.

Maybe in the country with a big yard but not anywhere residential with a normal big drive.
Also even if you was doing traction only you need a trailer specified on your licence and your parking needs to be big enough to acomidate that even if you only bring tge tractor home.

kr79:
Maybe in the country with a big yard but not anywhere residential with a normal big drive.
Also even if you was doing traction only you need a trailer specified on your licence and your parking needs to be big enough to acomidate that even if you only bring tge tractor home.

I know the VOSA guy who used to post claimed, with a link, you needed a trailer specified even if traction only but I’m not convinced I know 3 or 4 guys on traction only who don’t have any trailers on their licence.

kr79:

I know the VOSA guy who used to post claimed, with a link, you needed a trailer specified even if traction only but I’m not convinced I know 3 or 4 guys on traction only who don’t have any trailers on their licence.

kr79:

I have been an Owner Operator for 30 years, not always with a tractor unit, and have never had a trailer specified on my Operator Licence. What i do have is an entitlement to operate a trailer, if i were to operate the same trailer for 28 days or more then I presume that I would need that trailer specifying on the licence.