Oconners Widnes

Well last week I visited Occoners at Widnes for the first time in my container career and was quite impressed with the set up.

Apart from when the geezer in the office told me to do bay 40 and the crane would lift my box off…No prob there you might think so i pull up at the bay marked 40 the crane gets in position and im sat waiting like a prickk. the crane driver is blowing his horn so i get out and see what the problem is :blush:

You need to stay outside the cab mate he says…OK I can see that makes sense…Then he says have you got a hard hat pal…why do I need a hard hat I ask…In case the container drops off and hits you on the head pal… :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth:

Answers on a postcard please :laughing: :laughing:

It’s there so your teeth survive so you can be identified by dental records once they hose the rest of you off the bottom of the container :laughing:

I think we can all agree that if a container landed on your head a hard hat would be useless, they would need a bucket and spade to pick you up.
The reason for the hard hat is to protect you from any crap that the crossmembers have picked up.
As you probably already know most of the container depots in this country are ■■■■ holes,so if a container has been sitting on the ground it stands to reason the underneath of the container will be covered in crap.

I like O,conners though I’ve only been three or four times. first time I went they kicked me out for not having a hard hat. Luckily one of our drivers was takng his 45 just down the road so I burrowed his.
They ought to send Freightliner leeds management there just to see the speed of O’Conners cranes compared with thiers.

i been in there a good few times.
its a laugh neeeding a hard hat,but they dont always ask.its best to always carry one in the cab.
h and s gone crazy.
on a few occasions when i was there,i spent an hour under the crane,they dont always hurry to get you loaded or tipped,so dont get spoiled by a quick turnaround,you wont always get it.

Didn’t you know that hard hats are very special. If the health and safety man says it will save you then it will. The health and safety man always knows best. :unamused: :laughing:

and make sure they are not out of date.
i am serious when i say that.
they are supposed to be renewed every year believe it or not.

thecoder0:
Well last week I visited Occoners at Widnes for the first time in my container career and was quite impressed with the set up.

Apart from when the geezer in the office told me to do bay 40 and the crane would lift my box off…No prob there you might think so i pull up at the bay marked 40 the crane gets in position and im sat waiting like a prickk. the crane driver is blowing his horn so i get out and see what the problem is :blush:

You need to stay outside the cab mate he says…OK I can see that makes sense…Then he says have you got a hard hat pal…why do I need a hard hat I ask…In case the container drops off and hits you on the head pal… :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth:

Answers on a postcard please :laughing: :laughing:

O’Connnors are sticklers for the hard hats. O’Connors or Seaforth want you out the cab, go to DIRFT and if you get out the cab they go ape !! Blow their horns at you and allsorts.
O’Connors also make the rules up as they go along. Bringing a 20ft in requires you to shrink the trailer up and get a ladder to inspect it, if a certain team leader in red overalls is about. When the same team leader is in the crane and drops a box on you, he expects you to jump up without a ladder and inspect it. “did you not see the hole in the roof the first time you looked?” he said to me. I said “no i was to busy making sure i didn’t get my footing wrong on the back of this skelly”

greg50:
and make sure they are not out of date.
i am serious when i say that.
they are supposed to be renewed every year believe it or not.

I believe that. Polycarbonate motorcycle helmets are supposed to go in the bin after a knock or 1yr. Fibreglass / Kevlar / composite ones after a knock (if damaged) or 5yr.

That reminds me. Need a motorcycle and new helmet again.

Mike-C:
O’Connnors are sticklers for the hard hats. O’Connors or Seaforth want you out the cab, go to DIRFT and if you get out the cab they go ape !! Blow their horns at you and allsorts.
O’Connors also make the rules up as they go along. Bringing a 20ft in requires you to shrink the trailer up and get a ladder to inspect it, if a certain team leader in red overalls is about. When the same team leader is in the crane and drops a box on you, he expects you to jump up without a ladder and inspect it. “did you not see the hole in the roof the first time you looked?” he said to me. I said “no i was to busy making sure i didn’t get my footing wrong on the back of this skelly”

cudnt agree more with u mike only goodpoint is that r firm r barred from there hahaha so we dont have to put up with the stuck up drivers (well most r ) and the queues an snottyness of the office staff woooooop